Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Moto GP 2022

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that was how they sold it to "The powers that be" - along the lines of "No no, no - this is not a race. This is a reliability trial. We're using motorcycles (everyday, working man's transport at the time) and testing them in real world conditions for reliability and fuel consumption. That's why we need to use the road and why this island is perfect for it". "Oh, well, son, as long as it's not a race that will be fine!"
    they used the road in the IOM as they had to start somewhere, no fixed circuits were built yet aprt from Brooklands, and they didn't allow bikes on there for a wee while, and england wouldn't allow road closures hence the trip abroad.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I saw the rider fitness thing, it makes sense, but could be expanded with both minimum levels of damage to body to protect against some of the silly shit riders will try to do while injured. But also maximums, perhaps disallowing training regiemes such as gym work, running or other activities. Two pie minimum morning tea, and a kebab or fish and chips before the race. Following the race the manufacturers championship will be based on how much vino the team can comsume in 45minutes
    John McGuinness would be world champ at last!
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I seem to recall reading somewhere that was how they sold it to "The powers that be" - along the lines of "No no, no - this is not a race. This is a reliability trial. We're using motorcycles (everyday, working man's transport at the time) and testing them in real world conditions for reliability and fuel consumption. That's why we need to use the road and why this island is perfect for it". "Oh, well, son, as long as it's not a race that will be fine!"
    That's basically it. Road racing was banned in Britain so the idea was sold to the IoM, which has it's own government, as a "Tourist Trophy." Thus no mass starts, the riders stsrting in pairs or individually at intervals, riding against the clock. Obviously nothing like a race.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    That's basically it. Road racing was banned in Britain so the idea was sold to the IoM, which has it's own government, as a "Tourist Trophy." Thus no mass starts, the riders stsrting in pairs or individually at intervals, riding against the clock. Obviously nothing like a race.
    Hmmmm, that's the best case yet for creating The Independent Republic of Northland.

Mangamuka Reliability Trial GP...
    Manopausal.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    they had a mass start in a production race about 1970, not sure about the first meetings in 1907 and on though?

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    they had a mass start in a production race about 1970, not sure about the first meetings in 1907 and on though?
    Pretty sure it's been time intervals from day one. The Keig photo collections have a lot of startline pics - and it's usually one rider in the early days.
    i think the starting in pairs was post-war as the 30's pics are still one rider starts.
    The mass start of the Production races was generally regarded by riders and officials as a very bad idea - and has not been repeated.

Bike
    2 675R's & a Tracer GT
    IIRC I think the prod races were LeMans start. Not a 'true' mass start.
    There may have been mass start races on the Clypse course though. These were classed as 'proper' TTs, though not on the Mountain course.
    Do us all a favour, by bringing yourself up to speed, before pulling onto the motorway.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Le Man's start, ay?

Seeing as this thread is bantering in anticipation.. A bit of humour from the UK.

Manopausal.

Bike
    2 675R's & a Tracer GT
    Ha ha, I didn't say a LM start wasn't chaotic! That was pretty funny..
    Do us all a favour, by bringing yourself up to speed, before pulling onto the motorway.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by manxkiwi View Post
    IIRC I think the prod races were LeMans start. Not a 'true' mass start.
    There may have been mass start races on the Clypse course though. These were classed as 'proper' TTs, though not on the Mountain course.
    Just another version of a start, the TT's were push start anyway so pretty much as close as you could get to a mass start, the only difference is a run across the road as if it were gridded it would be a push start back then anyway. The pre 1910 TT's were on a shorter course with a small portion of the current circuit used, they were also classes as 'proper' TT's

Bike
    2 675R's & a Tracer GT
    Correct, the StJohns course ran 1907 to 1910, then they went to the mountain course. The Clypse course was used in the 50s.
    Saying 'proper', I was referring the use of the Southern 100 course for TT races for a few years. Most people didn't regard these as proper TTs. Although they officially were/are.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Only tenuously MotoGP related but I notice Danilo Petrucci is racing The Dakar.

He's keen!
    Manopausal.

Bike
    ES XTZ
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    Only tenuously MotoGP related but I notice Danilo Petrucci is racing The Dakar.

He's keen!
    His bike crapped out...but yeah thats keen.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Petrux is out of the race but is allowed to ride the rest of the course - unless he craps out again. He apparently gets a mention in the results for each day but will not feature in the overall results. It's about gaining experience now.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Petrucci is learning, he ‘won’ stage 5.

Thread Information