Thread: Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/mot...ngine-details/

Sounds interesting and not long to go to the official launch on 23 Nov. I'm excited

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050se
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    https://www.cycleworld.com/story/mot...ngine-details/

Sounds interesting and not long to go to the official launch on 23 Nov. I'm excited
    Yep you definitely need this! In red, which surely will be called Rosso?
    Stuff everything...I've always got my bike.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by tamarillo View Post
    Yep you definitely need this! In red, which surely will be called Rosso?
    I reckon so Tim. Probably be here in NZ during the second half of next year so I've a bit of time to save up. Having said that there's a lot of choice in the Sports Touring category now so this has to be pretty good to convince me over a GSX-S1000GT or similar. What a nice position to be in!

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    So - From the launch this week it has 115Bhp and just over 100Nm of torque, 80% of which is available from 3500Rpm. Sounds like a bike with some real world grunt, ideal for the odd open road top gear overtake.

I wonder if we'll get both versions here in NZ or just the higher, Electronic Ohlins suspended, one?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    115hp to the wheel and via shift drive means like 80hp at the tarmac. High torque figures at low revs just means low hp and effectively peaky as no spread so lots of gear changes when getting on.

They used to call them long legged. Translation: fuking slow.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    115hp to the wheel and via shift drive means like 80hp at the tarmac. .
    Are shaft drive bevels really that inefficient? I recall something David Vizard wrote about the "accepted 1/3rd power loss between flywheel and road wheel" he put it that that much power being lost in the transmission would have to be radiated as heat (cant destroy energy, only convert it). If the Guzzi has 115 hp (85Kw) at the flywheel but only 80hp (60Kw) at the wheel, that an awful lot of heat (25Kw) coming off the transmission and final drive - should be a nice orange glow .
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Manufacturers claim crank hp as its higher. Which leads to disappointing results on a rear wheel dyno if one believes the brochure.

Dry weights are another example of marketing delusion.

TBH I was probably being a little cruel of a Saturday night. I'm not sure how much extra over a chain a shaft saps, but I do know it is not nothing.

Bike
    suzuki

at least we don't get the mandatory line in every test ride article like they factored in they were special needs: for an Italian bike.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 1050se
    Blog Entries
    115hp to the wheel and via shift drive means like 80hp at the tarmac. High torque figures at low revs just means low hp and effectively peaky as no spread so lots of gear changes when getting on.

Ah a non believer!
    Them long legs mean effortless miles disappear under the feet.
    Stuff everything...I've always got my bike.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    The term long legs meant tall gearing and not enough hp to pull through it with any urgency. I think if you jumped off something that had a great real world engine, like a 1050 Tiger, you would be pining for your old bike back.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Are shaft drive bevels really that inefficient? I recall something David Vizard wrote about the "accepted 1/3rd power loss between flywheel and road wheel" he put it that that much power being lost in the transmission would have to be radiated as heat (cant destroy energy, only convert it). If the Guzzi has 115 hp (85Kw) at the flywheel but only 80hp (60Kw) at the wheel, that an awful lot of heat (25Kw) coming off the transmission and final drive - should be a nice orange glow .
    To give this some context - The Euro 4 V85TT bikes are rated at 80Bhp. All the dyno runs results I've seen for them give between 66-68 rear wheel Bhp. So, we'll call it a 13Bhp loss on average which equates to 16-17%.

With the V100 and its claimed 115Bhp let's say a loss of 20 Bhp - So that's 95 at the wheel. That sounds like plenty for real world road riding. That, coupled with a healthy torque spread (Some 90% of max from 3750Rpm) means that so long as the gearing isn't too long that it'll be a very pleasing real world sporty machine indeed.

The only time when I'd like my V85 to have a bit more grunt is on higher speed (80+Km/hr) overtakes when you need to drop 2-3 gears to really get it singing. It's in situations like this that I'd expect the V100 to have a bit more reassuring grunt to it though only a test ride will really answer that for me.

Bike
    2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio 8V
    I don't get all het up about the fascination with HP. My bikes are a hoot to ride no matter the power they have. My Triumph Sprint GT 1050 leaves them for dead, but they put a smile on my face. I love shaft drive, so I'll put up with any power loss.
    I'll be interested in checking out the V100, but I'll be interested to see if the motor is used in any other of the Piaggio lines.
    Marty

Ever notice that anyone slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?

Thread Information