Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CB500X vs. CRF300 Rally for sealed/metal touring

Bike
    2001 Yamaha R6 (from new)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Welcome to the land of compromise. Once you've actually picked a bike, you'll need to figure out a compromise on tyres, helmets, gear etc etc.

On one hand, you describe the CRF300 as gutless and the DL650 boring, but then don't want more than 100hp like your R6 (ie, more premium bikes). You've identified the budget suspension in the CB500X, but in reality, even something like the Tenere 700 suspension is criticised.

So, you've got a few odd balls like the KTM 390 Adventure (actually quite popular in its segment), or the KTM 790 Adventure (non R to be less dirt biased). No-one has mentioned the large range BMW has (I skimmed OK, so I might have missed something), from the older stuff like the F650 Dakar, to the newer 6-700cc bikes. Suzuki has the DR650 (probably too dirt for you, and a competitor to KLR650 with a different twist) or the DL. Kawasaki has the Versys in a few capacities.

If I was you, I'd ditch the R6 (but you probably love it having owned it from new) and go for a KTM 1090R - I own one. Absolutely ridiculous on sealed roads, especially if you're trying to lay down 125hp on knobblies but can equally cruise down the gravel... and by cruise I mean sideways at every opportunity. You'll understand if you ride one If you find your rubber lasting too long for your liking, KTM offers a 1290R with 160hp ish.
    My gut impression from the CB500X is good. Over 40 years of motorcycling has taught me that if I get a good feeling about a motorcycle within 30 seconds of test riding it, then we're off to a good start. Just like when I bought my R6 back in 2001. At the time I was considering the Kawasaki 636 (runs on 95 petrol, 6,000-km oil-change interval) but not the R6 (runs on 91 petrol, 10,000-km oil-change interval). All the bike magazines talked about how "track-focused" the R6 was. I wanted a motorcycle that I could also tour on, like my '92 Ducati 900ss. On the day, Red Baron didn't have a demo 636, but they let me try the R6.

The R6 had a Massey-Ferguson-like seat (so wide!), two odometers, and a clock! I fell in love with it within the 1st minute. It was so tractable (compared with the Ducati twin), pulling smothly in top gear from as low as 3,500 rpm without shuddering. It was well mannered from 4,000 to 6,500 rpm (like Clark Kent), but started ripping off its business suit to reveal the tight blue Spandex underneath from 8,000 rpm, and then wanted to smash from 11,000 rpm (redline at 15,500 rpm). "This will make an awsome sports tourer!" I thought. (And it did.) (The 100 ponies at the rear wheel helped a lot in overtaking.)
    (Footnote: the stock R6 suspension was shite. I got the forks revalved, fitted an Ohlins steering dampener, and an Ohlins rear shock with a lighter spring. Perfection!)

Getting back to the CB500X, I think it is the best bike for what I want to do with it: tour leisurely on unsealed roads.
    Shit doesn't just happen; there's usually an arsehole involved.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Have you actually tried a KLR? You mention the oil issue, that WAS a thing on the first of the Gen IIs when run at higher revs for extended periods but you also say you want to cruise at 115ish which is really in the KLRS happy zone - 5000 rpm or so. The lack of 6th gear that gets complained of isn't an issue when the torque band is dead flat from about 2k to redline, if you want to drop the revs a bit go up a tooth on the front sprocket. It seems the people who bag the KLR the most are the people who have never had one.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Have you actually tried a KLR? You mention the oil issue, that WAS a thing on the first of the Gen IIs when run at higher revs for extended periods but you also say you want to cruise at 115ish which is really in the KLRS happy zone - 5000 rpm or so. The lack of 6th gear that gets complained of isn't an issue when the torque band is dead flat from about 2k to redline, if you want to drop the revs a bit go up a tooth on the front sprocket. It seems the people who bag the KLR the most are the people who have never had one.
    I bought a new KLR in 2013. I liked it a lot. It had everything all there, right out of the box (unlike the DR650 or the DRZs), namely: screen, wind protection for hands, big tank, comfy seat. It handled wickedly well below 90 km/h on wet, slimy roads (with the dual-sport tires, no less).

But the KLR had its drawbacks. Its maximum sustainable speed was 100 km/h. At above 110 km/h the suspension started to wallow. Also at above 100 km/h she started to drink oil. I don't think the 2022 KLR rectified this problem. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX14t9AmOoE
    A 6th gear and an oil-tight engine would have been nice.

After a year I sold my KLR. It was a good bike in many regards, but I would not buy another one.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Odakyu-sen View Post
    I bought a new KLR in 2013. I liked it a lot. It had everything all there, right out of the box (unlike the DR650 or the DRZs), namely: screen, wind protection for hands, big tank, comfy seat. It handled wickedly well below 90 km/h on wet, slimy roads (with the dual-sport tires, no less).

But the KLR had its drawbacks. Its maximum sustainable speed was 100 km/h. At above 110 km/h the suspension started to wallow. Also at above 100 km/h she started to drink oil. I don't think the 2022 KLR rectified this problem. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX14t9AmOoE
    A 6th gear and an oil-tight engine would have been nice.

After a year I sold my KLR. It was a good bike in many regards, but I would not buy another one.
    My '08 was an oil burner. The 685 piston has totally cured that and added a wee bit of power into the bargain. Yeah the stock suspension is a bit mushy - much like the R6 in that respect. The 2014 facelift model got much better springs and revised damping. I have put facelift springs in the (KX USD) forks and on the back and have improved it way beyond my ability. The Brass Monkey trips I have done with it (lots) have been in the company of much faster bikes and the group cruising speed is usually in the 115 - 120 range with excursions into much more than that - I normally give it away around 120, knowing that they will never been more than a few minutes ahead at the next town
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    I thought the CRF was a big bag of compromise.
    A friend is selling a near new KTM 390 Adventure, that's a really nice bike. Seems well thought out, light and comfy enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    My gut impression from the CB500X is good. Over 40 years of motorcycling has taught me that if I get a good feeling about a motorcycle within 30 seconds of test riding it, then we're off to a good start. Just like when I bought my R6 back in 2001. At the time I was considering the Kawasaki 636 (runs on 95 petrol, 6,000-km oil-change interval) but not the R6 (runs on 91 petrol, 10,000-km oil-change interval). All the bike magazines talked about how "track-focused" the R6 was. I wanted a motorcycle that I could also tour on, like my '92 Ducati 900ss. On the day, Red Baron didn't have a demo 636, but they let me try the R6.

The R6 had a Massey-Ferguson-like seat (so wide!), two odometers, and a clock! I fell in love with it within the 1st minute. It was so tractable (compared with the Ducati twin), pulling smothly in top gear from as low as 3,500 rpm without shuddering. It was well mannered from 4,000 to 6,500 rpm (like Clark Kent), but started ripping off its business suit to reveal the tight blue Spandex underneath from 8,000 rpm, and then wanted to smash from 11,000 rpm (redline at 15,500 rpm). "This will make an awsome sports tourer!" I thought. (And it did.) (The 100 ponies at the rear wheel helped a lot in overtaking.)
    (Footnote: the stock R6 suspension was shite. I got the forks revalved, fitted an Ohlins steering dampener, and an Ohlins rear shock with a lighter spring. Perfection!)

Getting back to the CB500X, I think it is the best bike for what I want to do with it: tour leisurely on unsealed roads.
    Buy the bike you want. You've made up your mind, enjoy.

Then you can regret at leisure. I mean a *onda?
    Maybe you can scrape the tank logo off with a rock and apply some lurid MX decals?
    Kidding.
    Mostly.
    I mean not about the rock, obviously.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Buy the bike you want. You've made up your mind, enjoy.

Then you can regret at leisure. I mean a *onda?
    Maybe you can scrape the tank logo off with a rock and apply some lurid MX decals?
    Kidding.
    Mostly.
    I mean not about the rock, obviously.
    My first motorcyle (50 step-thru) in 1977 was a Honda. I admire their engineering. Their design can be a bit naff sometimes.

I want a motorcyle that won't compete head-on with my aging R6. I only want to leisurely tour on unsealed roads; not do serious off-road stuff. The CB500X appears to tick all the right boxes and has given me a good first impression. I know the rear suspension is rubbish, but if it does the job, I'll be happy.

I'm not in a hurry to rush out and buy one. The Molesworth will still be around long after I'm gone.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Do it, why not?

But, why stop at two bikes? Have you ridden a modern trailie? Loads of fun on another Sunday. Good practice for the bigger bikes too. 60 is the new 50.

But wait, why stop at 4? (Heck 3 can be discussed later) a Trials bike will bring you new skills.

Bike
    Do it, why not?

But, why stop at two bikes? Have you ridden a modern trailie? Loads of fun on another Sunday. Good practice for the bigger bikes too. 60 is the new 50.

But wait, why stop at 4? (Heck 3 can be discussed later) a Trials bike will bring you new skills.
    Two motorcycles are enough for me. I actually prefer my "2-stroke moped of the sky" see my video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrzLBtdy938 It's like motorcycling, but with travel in 3 dimensions rather than the single dimensional line segment that you would call a "road."

Bike
    Blog Entries
    If it doesn't rain too much I'm off to ride one of my dirtbike tomorrow. Lithe scalpel with purpose.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    a Trials bike will bring you new skills.
    And shatter any illusions of dirt competency the first couple of rides.

I love my wee trials bike.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Two motorcycles are enough for me.
    I thought that too... then I bought a "cheap" Aprilia to have some fun on, after it moved out of the cheap category (older Italians, damn I'm naive) and breaking down on me, once fixed, it was traded on a brand new bike.

Now I have 3...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2007 BMW F800R
    I'm taking the CB500X out for a test ride next week as it appeals to me as well, I'll be using mainly for tarmac but with regular weekends away on unsealed roads like Molesworth etc. It does seem to tick both boxes, but there is also the NC750X if the 500 feels underpowered...

Always thought my next bike would be a Triumph but am seriously considering the above as it gives more options and appears better value than a Triumph Scrambler.

Ox

Bike
    In the end, I didn't get the Hondas. I instead bought a 2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300 twin. This is a very under-rated motorcycle. There are 3 things I want to change on the Versys.
    1. Raise the gearing by replacing the stock 14-tooth drive sprocket with a 15-tooth one.
    2. Add a windscreen extender to flick the airstream up out of my face (noisy as!)
    3. Look at fork emulators to take the harshness out of the stock dampening-rod forks.

The rest of the bike is fine. It came with a lot of accessories. It handles very well through tight stuff. This morning riding over Mt. Messenger was a breeze!

Thread Information