Thread: Versys-X 300 fork emulators

Bike
    2001 Yamaha R6 (from new)

Versys-X 300 fork emulators

I have bought a 2018 Kawasaki Versys-X 300.
    The front forks are the el-cheapo push-rod dampened ones, which means that they are both squishy and harsh at the same time. I'd like to fit an emulator or something that has a shim stack instead of only orifices to handle the passage of the fork oil when you hit a bump. Has anyone fitted an emulator kit themselves? Do you need any special tools? Are the supplied instructions adequate? Was it a nightmare or a piece of cake?

Backstory: In 2001 I bought a new R6. The stock suspension was shite. I had Norman Cobb of Suspension Tech fit a shim-stack thingy to the front fork internals that transformed the front end. Eliminated the harshness. Today, 20 years and 165,000 km later, I still love to ride that bike. I'd like to give the harsh forks of my new Versys-X a similar treatment. I plan to keep the bike long-term.

BTW, the little Versys handles the tight corners very well. Neutral handling, with no sensation of "falling into" the corner. Does not self-steer. Light and confidence-inspiring. The front end is harsh, that's all.

Any comments welcome.
    Shit doesn't just happen; there's usually an arsehole involved.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Probably some YouTube instructions, or just drop the legs into local suspension guy. Check spring rate on racetech site for your weight. If too soft you'll blow through the travel and get to the end that can make it feel harsh. But damper rod forks always feel dreadful.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information