Thread: KTM450EXC oil migration issue

Bike
    KTM530EXC

KTM450EXC oil migration issue

My KTM450EXC has separate gear and engine oil. Separation is maintained by various seals. Recently, I noticed/realised that gear oil was migrating into the engine oil - it gets sucked in, and stays in. Apparently, a common fault with 08-10 models. Rather than replace all the seals I tried this fix:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2qBn5m8UQA
    I drilled a hole such that the gear and engine compartments are joined. Now I just use engine oil. Levels are almost the same now, engine oil slightly higher, gear oil compartment slightly lower than standard - a compromise. When I turn off the engine the levels equalise very quickly.
    I will run it and see how it goes long term. It's an old bike so no big deal if it blows up. Will search for another bottom end in the meantime.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    Tested it for a few hours out at The Farm. Slight water leak from a hose but otherwise no issues. Seems to run fine.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Thread Information