Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for Builders/Tradies

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore

Question for Builders/Tradies

GIB vs Elephant Board.

The current Building supply delays have caused me a major headache and I may have to go with Elephant Board - which I understand is manufactured in Thailand.

I've read some commentary a few years back about it being 'not as good as GIB' - but that was a few years ago.

Is it a reputable product or?
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    GIB vs Elephant Board.

The current Building supply delays have caused me a major headache and I may have to go with Elephant Board - which I understand is manufactured in Thailand.

I've read some commentary a few years back about it being 'not as good as GIB' - but that was a few years ago.

Is it a reputable product or?
    one would expect if it is suitable for the building inspectors to allow it then it's all good. I've worked on building sites as a sparky a couple of times where it's been sued and no-ones walked in and said oh fuck that shit again.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Mitre 10 have some "other" branded stuff thats made in Aussie. cant recall then name. A little bit cheaper,, but M10 guys said they would recommend Winstone gib if its for a finish that really matters
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Nothing wrong with Elephant Board, bloody good shit, go get it, before you can't get anything.
    Sold timber and building products for better than 40 years,seriously, it's as good if not better than our Gib board.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by caseye View Post
    go get it, before you can't get anything.
    Wot 'E Sed !

Those stories about supply chain issues are sadly true
    =mjc=

Bike
    R100GSPD
    just make sure that you use elephant borad as it supposed to be used.Do not assume that you can replicate a certain gib board type bracing system with elephant board.You must use the elepant board systems.You may need to get some documents redone if your bracing was done using gib board systems

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Bump - question number 2:

I suspect I know the answer - but figured I'd get some other perspectives. With the current DIY Projects - initially I was going to hire the tools I needed - but I'm looking at doing some more stuff around the house to the point where hiring a tool 2-3 times is the cost of a new one.

I'm looking at either Ozito or Ryobi.

Ryobi has the higher price point and seems to be the market leader for the DIY tool (e.g. not Trade)
    Whereas Ozito has the lower price point and seems to have a bit of a chequered history - the current stuff is apparently re-branded Einhell stuff, exclusive to Bunnings.

Reading between the lines on other sites - the general consensus seems to be:

If you are only using it a few times a year, Ozito will be sufficient, if you are planning on tackling slightly more serious DIY (I've got 3-4 rooms that I want to re-Gib and insulate and I just *know* the walls are going to have Curves like Nicki Minaj...) then the Ryobi is the better bet.

In particular - I am going to have to plane about 1-2 mm off of Studs/Joists that aren't quite flush - and that's going to be some hard wood.

So - thoughts?
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    Im just a fiddler with these things, but my Ryobi stuff isnt that great. The Ozito stuff is worse. I've been buying chinese made stuff from TOPMAQ. Might not be the best looking stuff but it seems to take a beating, and its not too expensive.

If your going to buy something to keep for the long run, I'd go with the american stuff, DeWalt or Milwakee - its worth the extra cash.
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    All my cordless stuff is Ryobi and from a value perspective I'm really happy. The gear is not as heavily featured as the pro stuff, Makita etc but it all still works and I've ended up with 9 batteries. Big plus is that Ryobi has not changed battery fitment from the get go, when they were blue. Being a black belt bodger it's amazing how the gear holds up.

I'm now into their garden range, hedge clippers, leccy chainsaw etc. Really impressed.

I have an Ozito bench grinder which works but it is really rough, excuse the pun..

I was given two very cheap planers by a friend, Chinese brand with a Chinese name. He had hammered them, dull blades and out of adjustment. The idea was to do a small job and chuck them in the bin but I sharpened the blades up and learned how to adjust them correctly. They chooch now!

I would suggest that any tool which is going to get fairly regular use buy Ryobi or better, anything which is going to sit in the shed for years buy the cheapest.

And consider the battery side, this is where Ryobi really scores. I can now buy skin only tools and they are pretty cheap.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1969 Honda S90
    I have to give Ozito a bit of a tick-I bought one of their cheap version Dremmels and gave it quite a hiding,at month 13 the thing stopped working,I was back at Bunnings having a moan about it only being one month out of warranty (even though it had done the equivalent of about two years work) and the Ozito rep was there,grizzled at him a bit and he goes to his vehicle and gives me a new one-plus 5 sets of polishing wheels.Prolly cost them bugger all but great customer service.I have since bought Ozito drills and jigsaw and they suit my low usage just fine.

Bike
    suzuki

I suspect I know the answer - but figured I'd get some other perspectives. With the current DIY Projects - initially I was going to hire the tools I needed - but I'm looking at doing some more stuff around the house to the point where hiring a tool 2-3 times is the cost of a new one.

Ryobi has the higher price point and seems to be the market leader for the DIY tool (e.g. not Trade)
    Whereas Ozito has the lower price point and seems to have a bit of a chequered history - the current stuff is apparently re-branded Einhell stuff, exclusive to Bunnings.

If you are only using it a few times a year, Ozito will be sufficient, if you are planning on tackling slightly more serious DIY (I've got 3-4 rooms that I want to re-Gib and insulate and I just *know* the walls are going to have Curves like Nicki Minaj...) then the Ryobi is the better bet.

In particular - I am going to have to plane about 1-2 mm off of Studs/Joists that aren't quite flush - and that's going to be some hard wood.

So - thoughts?
    i'm a sparky and ozito almost needs to banned on safety grounds, switch quality is atrocious and when you're caught and need to operate that switch it is problematic. An old boss was addicted t the stuff on price, it cost him a lot on other damage however.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Touchwood my Ryiobi 18v drill and two batteries have been awesome. So good I recently bought impact driver at lower end of torque range and very impressed with that too.
    Bought Ozito mitre saw awhile ago for angle cuts, Jesus it was only just over $100 but has performed like a champ for its minor duties buildingvworkbench and stuff.
    We’re pretty blessed on the affordability scale these days of what we can buy and cheap doesn’t need to mean junk for the average joe diy user.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    I bought an ozito bench saw and had to build my own stand for it because I buckled the crap metal it was made with in about a week
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    a shiny new(ish) one

So - thoughts?
    I have a ryobi planer (corded, duno if they do battery one) thats done quite a few rooms over the course of or 3 houses now - onw which had Rimu studs - eg, fuckin hard.

Planer has been awesome, and didnt skip a beat - would recommend.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So I have 5 charging systems. Obviously the Makita is far superior to any crap the Amercans could make, just like hardleys vs motorcycles.

I have AEG as well which seem OK.

I also have 3 Ozito. A sabre saws which has revolutionised gardening. And impact screwdriver. And impact wrench.

Surprised how good they are.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information