Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WOF fail!!!

Bike
    Street Triple R

WOF fail!!!

On my Triumph Street triple. About five years ago I put on an R & G tail tidy. Today I got a WOF fail because I dont have a red rear reflector. (which I haven't had for five years.....).

Anyways: how big does it have to be? I cannot find a required size online anywhere.

Also - the bike came with orange reflectors mounted to the sides of the fork lowers. I broke one years ago and had a red one in a drawer. The other fail item is that I cant have a red reflector showing to the side - must be orange or removed.

The solution is obvious but I dont want to put one on the back that's too small.... this fork one is say 50mm dia.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Dont know if there is a specific minimum size but the one on the back of my KLR is about 50mm x 25mm
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    On my Triumph Street triple. About five years ago I put on an R & G tail tidy. Today I got a WOF fail because I dont have a red rear reflector. (which I haven't had for five years.....).

Anyways: how big does it have to be? I cannot find a required size online anywhere.

Also - the bike came with orange reflectors mounted to the sides of the fork lowers. I broke one years ago and had a red one in a drawer. The other fail item is that I cant have a red reflector showing to the side - must be orange or removed.

The solution is obvious but I dont want to put one on the back that's too small.... this fork one is say 50mm dia.
    go to the push bike shop and get a pushy one or steal one of a push bike
    one of my jobs i previouls did, was to audit stuff for MPI compliance, its amazing how different people can find different stuff others dont.

i just looked at the rules it only says t has t have one not size
    most old taillights have a built in reflector that might be how the other considered it compliant? or they just never cared as a reflector is ireleventon a bike that has its lights on all the time

https://www.nzta.govt.nz/roadcode/mo...-requirements/

i remember having to school the wof guys with my old bike that indicators and even stop lights i think were not required on bikes built prior to X year.
    edit
    okay here are the full rules

https://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt....ndicator-lamps
    4 Lighting
    4-13 Rear reflectors
    Reasons for rejectionSummary of legislation
    Mandatory and permitted equipment
    1. A motorcycle is not fitted with at least one red rearward-facing reflector.

2. A reflector is not positioned to the rear of the motorcycle.

3. A retrofitted reflector is fitted at a height from the ground exceeding 1.5m, or if this is not practicable due to the shape of the bodywork of the motorcycle, exceeding 2.1m.

4. A retrofitted pair of reflectors is not:

a) symmetrically mounted, or

b) mounted as far towards each side of the motorcycle as is practicable.

Condition
    5. A mandatory reflector’s ability to reflect light is affected by excessive:

a) fading, or

b) scratching or other damage.

6. A mandatory reflector is obscured.

Performance
    7. The reflected light from a mandatory reflector is not visible from 100m.

8. A rearward-facing reflector on a vehicle reflects white light shining on it as anything other than red light.

9. The reflected light from a reflector is not red.

10. An overlay has been applied that reduces or distorts the light emitted from the lamp (eg a tinted cover).

Note 1 Definitions
    Reflector means a distinct item of lighting equipment that is designed to reflect incident light back towards the light source, but does not include reflective material (such as reflective tape).

Reflective material means any material that is designed to reflect incident light back towards the light source, and includes reflective tape, but does not include a reflector.

Note 2

A vehicle originally manufactured with a rear-reflector arrangement that differs from what is required or permitted in this section may retain the original rear reflectors provided they remain fitted in their original position and perform as intended by the vehicle manufacturer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    suzuki

why did you not ask the wof people the requirements? i had a trailer warranted twice a year at the same place before they failed the lights as being not visible from a certain angle. I asked them for documentation, and to show me their measuring tool, after all if it's a pass fail to measurements they would have to have a tool to measure this. They will be doing the recheck so best work with their rules. I have a few nos suzuki refelctors here

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    I got failed for this years ago, many wofs after removing the bit on the back of the bike that the reflector was on.

Answer was to go to the warehouse, buy a tiny bicycle reflector, and mount it pointing backwards(ish). They were happy as long as it had one, didn't care how big or how effective it was.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    It should be possible to buy red reflective sticky tape. Haven't seen any lately and have no idea where you'd buy it. Shops that sell safety kit?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    It should be possible to buy red reflective sticky tape. Haven't seen any lately and have no idea where you'd buy it. Shops that sell safety kit?
    Mitre 10 sell it ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    A pedantic wof tester will fail the tape. They will tell you they are looking for an E mark or similar. Reflectors are dirt cheap at any parts outlet
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    The performance is not same and good 3M reflector tape is damn expensive prob as largest purchasers are manufacturers putting it on the back of $250,000 truck trailers.

Bunnings bless their cheap souls now stock red flouro yellows and silver at peasant level pricing. I use it for reversing markers for parking cage in shed and enhancing my security system. A couple of strips here and there serve as movement markers where the ranges of the IR leds has fallen off.

Need to counter some mis-information another poster printed above. Reflectors are not irrelevant due to lights always being on. Bulbs/wiring/main fuses can fail, then all you’ve got from stopping a tired truck driver running over the top is that little reflector. Or it may catch eye of passing motorist if you’ve slid off dark wet road into bushes.

I think those side facing orange teflectors are evenness more relevant now with the modern directional headlight system not spilling much light to sides. I nearly mowed down one of them new T7 adventure bikes in town getting takeaways, he was practically invisible from the side.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries

I think my Street R&G came with a small reflector. But bike shops sell them for this sort of purpose.

I braced the numberplate area of mine as it cracked. But I made s bit hang down and stuck reflector to that.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    ... The solution is obvious but I dont want to put one on the back that's too small.... this fork one is say 50mm dia.
    The red reflector must be visible from 100 meters at night.

But just having one fitted (at least at inspection times) will get you a pass. Well ... more chance of a pass ...

Bike
    husaberg
    the devil is in the detail is thsi case in the not so fine print'
    Note 1 Definitions
    Reflector means a distinct item of lighting equipment that is designed to reflect incident light back towards the light source, but does not include reflective material (such as reflective tape)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Dont know if there is a specific minimum size but the one on the back of my KLR is about 50mm x 25mm
    I've never seen (in written Legislation) and specific size mentioned. It just needs to be visible from 100 meters ... at NIGHT.

Has ANYBODY ever seen this part of a WOF test done on ANY vehicle ... at night ... IN THE DARK ... (asking for a friend) .. ???

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    the devil is in the detail is thsi case in the not so fine print'
    Well it was just a thought. I didn't fit a tail tidy so hopefully there's a reflector. When the rain stops I need a warrant so I'll find out I guess.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    I came up against the same thing with my wifes zx6r she purchased that had a tail tidy.
    I found two small round red reflectors on trademe that neatly fit between letters on the number plate and WOF was duly granted.

Thread Information