Thread: Kawasaki Versys-X 300 owners: how is it?

Bike
    2001 Yamaha R6 (from new)

Kawasaki Versys-X 300 owners: how is it?

Hello Guys,
    My candidates for adventure tourers (unsealed road touring) is down to two machines: the Kawasaki Versys-X and the Hond CB500X.
    I have test-riden the CB500 and got a good first impression. Today I tried a 30,000 km-old Versys-X 300. It's an unusual beast. Although it seems undergeared and breathlessly revvy, once you get into 6th gear on the motorway, you can drop the speed down to 70 km/h and then open the throttle and it will accelerate quite nicely and smoothly.
    My main bike is a 2001 R6, so I don't mind hig-revving engines. The Versys will cruise at 120 km/h easily and smoothy, even though it will be spinning at 9,000 rpm or so (redline 12,000 rpm). Some YouTube videos suggest you change the front drive sprocket from the stick 14 teeth to a 15-tooth cog. First gear is certainly very, very low.

Has anyone else ridden or owned the Versys-X? How has it been for you?
    Shit doesn't just happen; there's usually an arsehole involved.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    If you can stretch your wallet the KTM390 is the best by miles for you intended use.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Gearing up high revving bikes is a sure way to sluggish performance.

Heck my gs550 had an extra tooth. 80s bike (1980) broad spread, previous owner thought it shouldn't revs so high. Couldn't pull 160. Too stupid to realise what hed done even when replacement chain didn't fit.

Guess I was trading on my looks.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Gearing up high revving bikes is a sure way to sluggish performance.
    The Versys-X needs all the torque it can muster. I may just leave the stock gearing as is. I like the Versys-X being some 24 kg lighter than the chubby CB500X. On the other hand, the CB has the relatively more full-bodied motor and will be better on the road than the Versys-X. But I have my R6 for the road. I want as much separation of function between two motorcycles as possible, so I would tend towards the R6-Versys combination.

The Honda CRF300 Rally will be too "off-road focused" for my needs. I only want to tour on unsealed roads (Molesworth and the like). I have no interest in real off-road adventure at all.

I suppose I should look at the KTM390 Adventure.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Odakyu-sen View Post
    The Versys-X needs all the torque it can muster. I may just leave the stock gearing as is. I like the Versys-X being some 24 kg lighter than the chubby CB500X. On the other hand, the CB has the relatively more full-bodied motor and will be better on the road than the Versys-X. But I have my R6 for the road. I want as much separation of function between two motorcycles as possible, so I would tend towards the R6-Versys combination.

The Honda CRF300 Rally will be too "off-road focused" for my needs. I only want to tour on unsealed roads (Molesworth and the like). I have no interest in real off-road adventure at all.

I suppose I should look at the KTM390 Adventure.

Update.
    I bought a 2018 Versys-X 300. It handles very well. Neutral steering and holds its line through curves really well.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yrah yeah. Can you hoist monsta wheelies?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Yrah yeah. Can you hoist monsta wheelies?

Wheelies are for chumps. Wrecks your steering head bearings.

Today I rode the Versys-X over the infamous Klondyke Road between Onewhero and Port Waikato. I didn't fall off, but there were some sphincter-clenching moments on some very thick and loose gravel.
    - The front forks can't cope with road corrugations at all. Very, very harsh at present
    - The forks are okay on non-corrugated surfaces and the motorway
    - The half-worn original tires really aren't much good in the gravel. I skated around a bit and couldn't get traction. I badly need better tires for this sort of riding
    - The stock 14-tooth drive sprocket is perfect for metal roads (not so much for the motorway)
    - I do not need any more power
    - I am glad the Versys-X is relatively light (although not as light as a DR650)
    - I need to learn how to ride in the gravel (I was mincing around the corners)

Conclusions
    1. Get better tires
    2. Fit emulators to the forks
    3. Swap the 14-tooth front sprocket for a 15-tooth one (the bike is just geared too low)

Thread Information