Thread: Unsure of CBR650R LAMS restrictions

Bike
    2019 Honda CBR650R

Question Unsure of CBR650R LAMS restrictions

Under the list of approved motorcycles, it lists the CBR650RA, it doesn’t mention if this needs to be the restricted bike (35Kw) or the full power bike. Can I ride the full power bike under LAMS?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Well it makes sense if you can ride the full power bike. I mean why would they not want you to do that?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DrParkins View Post
    Under the list of approved motorcycles, it lists the CBR650RA, it doesn’t mention if this needs to be the restricted bike (35Kw) or the full power bike. Can I ride the full power bike under LAMS?
    If you look on the NZ Transport Agency website ... it lists the bike as follows ... CB650RA (HONCB650RAL).

The model listed (in brackets) ... CB650 RAL. The L will be for the learner version.

I'm guessing you already knew that ... as it does list the LAM's model ... but good on you for asking. LAMS models of the various Manufacturers are often discussed here.

A full power motorcycle ... or a Restricted motorcycle for a learner motorcyclist ... to legally ride on NZ roads ... ???

But ... (yes there IS a "But") ...

The ease of which you can buy/Register (in your name) a NON LAM's motorcycle ... and ride it on the roads ... might astound you.

Buying it is not an issue. Having it registered in your name isn't breaking any laws either. However ... that law bit is about NOT riding outside the conditions of your License.

It is a free country. YOU choose.

Feeling lucky ... ????
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Well it makes sense if you can ride the full power bike. I mean why would they not want you to do that?
    Perhaps ... if the LAM's model WAS listed for the use of these with restricted licenses.

Bike
    2019 Honda CBR650R

Question Derestrict?

Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    If you look on the NZ Transport Agency website ... it lists the bike as follows ... CB650RA (HONCB650RAL).

The model listed (in brackets) ... CB650 RAL. The L will be for the learner version.

I'm guessing you already knew that ... as it does list the LAM's model ... but good on you for asking. LAMS models of the various Manufacturers are often discussed here.

A full power motorcycle ... or a Restricted motorcycle for a learner motorcyclist ... to legally ride on NZ roads ... ???

But ... (yes there IS a "But") ...

The ease of which you can buy/Register (in your name) a NON LAM's motorcycle ... and ride it on the roads ... might astound you.

Buying it is not an issue. Having it registered in your name isn't breaking any laws either. However ... that law bit is about NOT riding outside the conditions of your License.

Feeling lucky ... ????
    I understand I can derestrict the motorcycle, am I likely to be caught or as long as it is stock for WoF can I get away with it?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post

Feeling lucky ... ????
    Yeah. That seems just the sort of thing that an insurance company might latch on to in order to deny a claim.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    I understand I can derestrict the motorcycle, am I likely to be caught or as long as it is stock for WoF can I get away with it?
    Wow, this one is cruising for a bruising.
    Merry Christmas, enjoy your time in Hospital, when you get thrown by your Not LAMS Approved motorcycle.
    LAMS ain't perfect, but it is a shit load better than what we had.
    What we will end up with if you and your ilk get any traction is a nation where we can only legally ride fucking scooters.
    This is a piss take and is and will continue to be addressed as such by those who have responded so far.
    You know the rules, you just don't want to follow them, go away!
    Oh did I say , Merry Chrsitmas?
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Yeah. That seems just the sort of thing that an insurance company might latch on to in order to deny a claim.
    The trouble is then compounded ... when the insurance company of the vehicle he hit ... comes looking for their money.

A minor road accident becomes major issue.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Can you even get the full power ones in NZ? When I was in the Honda dealer a few months back, I was told that they only import the LAMS version.

I guess it might be possible to derestrict it, depending on how they restricted it in the first place.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by release_the_bees; 27th December 2021 at 10:31. Reason: Typo

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    They derestrict very well. Up close to 90hp i have seen. Basically double....

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    I guess it might be possible to derestrict it, depending on how they restricted it in the first place.
    https://dynobike.com.au/desresrict-cbr650-lams/

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    People commit serious criminal offenses ... in the belief they wont get caught.

If you believe you won't ... do it.

Those testing for WOF are not Police. They do not care what your license status is.

Just do not get involved in a serious motor vehicle accident. Well ... not before you get your full license. If you don't have it already.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

Wink are you really "unsure"?

Easy, no...

Right... so what you really want to know is will the police catch you out riding the full powered version of a LAMS bike (on a learner or restricted licence). Police won't notice, unless you are riding like a hooligan and draw attention. Insurance won't notice if the police won't notice (if you don't collect speeding tickets or bin it). If you sell it, it can't be registered as a LAMS bike so you'll need to have that conversation when the time comes.

Really, if you're a learner on your first or second bike, you are more likely to get caught by the power and torque of the full powered bike. 4 cylinder 650 still packs a lot of punch, near as well to being 100hp and vicious in the higher rev range. Grab too much throttle at the wrong time and you'll get caught by physics and lack of experience.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Ahh, where's the KB of old?

About this stage someone should declare an R1 as obvious choice.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Ahh, where's the KB of old?

About this stage someone should declare an R1 as obvious choice.
    Nah ... those learners with balls ... got a Hayabusa ...

Thread Information