Thread: Recommend an email host?

Bike
    2005 Z750S

Recommend an email host?

Won't bore you with the full details, but my personal emails stopped working this morning, and having chatted on-line with support it seems in the recent switch-over (these companies keep getting bought by each other) my account got borked.

I'm fed up with them, and am looking for a new provider.

I'm looking for:
    A: unrelated to Crazy Domains
    B: somebody who provides clear instructions for what my MX records etc would need to be changed to (some people seem to really hide this stuff)

(My plan B is to just sign up for the lowest possible google workspace account. That seems two to three times the price of a basic mail host plan from a "NZ" company. (Scare quotes deliberate, as many seem to just resell services from other companies.))
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Honestly if you need vanity domain etc, just use Microsoft 365. All those cheap ones lack ActiveSync, a base plan in MS is going to give you 50GB, and you can use Exchange Online Plan 1 for a basic mailbox, Business Basic if you want cloud services like a 1TB OneDrive etc. I think it's about $6 +GST a month per mailbox for EXO P1, but prices are going up in March.

In terms of services like OneDrive, if you're not a business, then use the 365 Family Plan, up to 6 accounts get Office suite (no exchange/mailbox services), OneDrive etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    Thanks for that, good suggestion.

I did look in to upgrading my Microsoft 365 Personal to one of the business plans, to get their mail hosting services; but it all got a bit confusing as all those years ago when I first got Windows 8.0 I ended up using my main personal-domain email address as my Microsoft Account name. The pages on setting up the business plan are very specific about the Microsoft account needing to be different.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Yes, two different accounts (personal and work or school) and licencing follows the account (so personal gets personal licences and v.v). I don't recommend you have two MS accounts with the same email address, but you technically can. Two separate portals with different interfaces, personal is account.microsoft.com and admin side for business is admin.microsoft.com (and there are a heap of others for other services).

Whether you have one or a hundred accounts, the business side setup is the same. Establish your tenant with MS (so something.onmicrosoft.com) and has to be globally unique, then add domain, setup accounts etc. Will be used for cloud services like SharePoint (something.sharepoint.com) and OneDrive (something-my.sharepoint.com) so don't use thisisstupid
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I've PM'd you with some details.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I signed up to Gmail for my business eons ago, and still get what is effectively Business Starter for free. Gmail has been good; I can only recall once when it went down, and the search is great as you'd expect. The only negatives for me are a spam filter which is slightly too aggressive, and the grouping of emails into conversations. Most of the time it works well, but it can get a bit out of control sometimes when you end up with 20+ emails in a single conversation.

Not sure how I would feel about paying $18 per month for 2 users though... The only apps I use are Gmail and Calendar.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    I did start the process of using gmail, but went another way.

Google seemed pretty good with the documentation (they explained DNS and MX records really well) but when I came to actually do it I got stuck on a step where it wanted me to specify my email address. An info pop-up said I could use any address on my domain, but it rejected - with no good explanation of why - my own normal address. Googling (is that circular?) I found an item in their help forum that suggested using a new generic name, like admin@(mydomain), but then my "real" address would have had to be another person, or, it would have had to be an address that forwards to the accepted address.

That all just annoyed me (my capacity for irritation is low lately), and $9 a month to only use the email hosting then started looking sad, so I backed out.

(NB: when I recently got moved from Host 2 to Host 3 my received spam went way up, so I was actually looking forward to Gmail being strict ...)

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i use mozilla thunderbird .I dont want to use windows really but i am not totally ready to ditch it.I dont have a microsoft account and i dont intend to get one

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    i use mozilla thunderbird .I dont want to use windows really but i am not totally ready to ditch it.I dont have a microsoft account and i dont intend to get one
    To my understanding, mozilla thunderbird is an email client only, not a hosting service (which is what I was looking for, and is now sorted).

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    To my understanding, mozilla thunderbird is an email client only, not a hosting service (which is what I was looking for, and is now sorted).
    So what did you decide on?

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    So what did you decide on?

I went with Net24 / Voyager.

For a cheap service, with no contract, paid monthly by credit card - it was odd they needed to do a credit check before activating my account, which at this time of the year meant a delay, but otherwise it was fairly painless to switch.

Sent from my PC using my keyboard.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    To my understanding, mozilla thunderbird is an email client only, not a hosting service
    Yep, correct

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I went with Net24 / Voyager.

For a cheap service, with no contract, paid monthly by credit card - it was odd they needed to do a credit check before activating my account, which at this time of the year meant a delay, but otherwise it was fairly painless to switch.

Sent from my PC using my keyboard.
    Thanks, good to know in case Google decide to start charging me one day.

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Thanks, good to know in case Google decide to start charging me one day.

To be fair, Crazy Domains would be fine now too (and cheaper over a year I think).

Thread Information