Thread: Two wheeled hello

Bike
    harley street 2015

Two wheeled hello

Hi Everyone,

After years of being the pillion and a few close ones ...I finally got my arse into gear and got my learners yay!!! I always said the next time I get back on a bike I want to be in control.

Sweet old hubby sourced a slightly damaged harley street 2015 (needed new forks written off by insurance company) but I'm a 50 kilo 5 foot 2 woman this seems like such a beast for a first ride and I really wanted something light and old so if it gets scratched it doesn't matter then work up to the street. or sell and get something lighter

I'm here for advice from all you bikies out there....trying to source a learner bike for around $2000 to 2500

Probably will commute on northern motorway puhoi to albany eventually so I'm thinking a 250?

Was originally thinking a suzuki gn 125/250 but any advice on what to get would be great as these bikes seem hard to come by in aux.

being of shorter in the leg department I'd like to be able to be flat footed or close to it.

Thanks everyone look forward to reading all your advice

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tones27 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

After years of being the pillion and a few close ones ...I finally got my arse into gear and got my learners yay!!! I always said the next time I get back on a bike I want to be in control.
    In control is good. Hard work at times though ... but you'll handle it.

Keep the Harley ... it wont be long before you need something bigger than a 125/250. At the moment all you'll lack is confidence.

Don't spend much on a little one though ... you wont have it long.

Go Girl ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    In control is good. Hard work at times though ... but you'll handle it.

Keep the Harley ... it wont be long before you need something bigger than a 125/250. At the moment all you'll lack is confidence.

Don't spend much on a little one though ... you wont have it long.

Go Girl ...
    What he said! Keep an open mind re the Harley, not everybosy hates em, just most of us! Do your time on a smaller bike, then step up and enjoy the buzz, nothing less than a 250, remember, you can go up to 650 LAM's approved.
    Have some fun, looking and riding. Welcome to KB.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Back near the dawn of time I was involved in rider training. Wimmin often turned up on GN250s as they were cheap and low to the ground. But fukin awkward with the long soft forks and sit up and beg bars.
    A young lass was having trouble getting through an S slalom course on hers. We put her on my 550 four cylinder bike (she was cute and I'm a sucker), she did a couple of laps around the carpark to get used to it and went through the course first time.

Get a local cobbler to put a spacer or 2nd sole on your riding boots to get you another cm of leg length.

Not sure what is on the learner market these days. Good luck.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    I may become an outcast suggesting this, but.... My dad is a very keen rider in his 70's and is challenged not only by age but inseam. He has a shed full of bikes but his daily ride is a Honda Silverwing, I will whisper it - Scooter..

It may be worth considering something like this as a learner commuter. Just a left field thought.

Summit like this.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...4?bof=ZiVDaBs0
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I may become an outcast suggesting this, but.... My dad is a very keen rider in his 70's and is challenged not only by age but inseam. He has a shed full of bikes but his daily ride is a Honda Silverwing, I will whisper it - Scooter..

It may be worth considering something like this as a learner commuter. Just a left field thought.
    As I recall from a few years back ... two KB members .. wife and Partner (from Hamilton) toured the South Island. He was on a similar machine.

A dam sight easier than walking ... and bloody comfortable apparently.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Back near the dawn of time I was involved in rider training. Wimmin often turned up on GN250s as they were cheap and low to the ground. But fukin awkward with the long soft forks and sit up and beg bars.
    Fitting flat bars to them makes a big difference.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    As I recall from a few years back ... two KB members .. wife and Partner (from Hamilton) toured the South Island. He was on a similar machine.

A dam sight easier than walking ... and bloody comfortable apparently.
    I was back in Scotland a few years ago and the country was inundated by large groups of Bavarians on their regions finest motorcycles. About a third of each group were touring on Maxi Scoots. Easily spotted at the cafe, they were the only dry riders.

They must be pretty good if they are being used to do really big tours around Europe.

I recall trying to do 100 miles in an hour on an Autobahn, hanging on for grim death. Some bloke came past me on a Burgman, texting and wearing jandals. Humbled does not do it justice.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Fitting flat bars to them makes a big difference.
    Already fitted to her bike, I didn't mention that bit. Her dad had got them swapped over from new. The various Honda offerings of the day were infinitely better, but as a styling exercise and price point, GNs got the sales.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information