Thread: KTM 890 Duke

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1

KTM 890 Duke

Anyone here own an 890, or had a decent ride on one? I'd be interested in your opinion of the bike.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Sold
    Try 790dukeforum.com . It includes the 890 too and has a fair bit of practical info from owners, as well as comparisons with the 790.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Thanks, some good info there. I was all set to buy a Tuono back in August before lockdown, but have been thinking that something with less power and weight would be better for the riding I do.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Slightly off topic but my mate test rode the 890adv and now wants to ditch his dl650 and bmw s1000xr for one...
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    A
    The old "what bike I want next" is perpetual isn't it?

I've got two bikes in my garage, neither are particularly exciting (to me anyway) yet when I ask myself what bike next...I end up a tad stumped

The KTM 790/890 seems like a neat combo of power/weight, with some of us who run serious distance asking ourselves the KTM reliability question, right or wrong.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I rode the 890Duke and the 765RS back to back. The 890 in many ways was a better bike. Exciting to ride. If I was the sort to replace every couple of years I'd have likely got it to have a change. . . . and be in warranty, some of the reports are a little scary.

In the end the triple felt like home and I just loved the engine. I'm more a triple than twin kinda guy. As it turned out the 765 handling is my favorite part after a few months.

The 890 is quite tall, but you have to ride one. They are fun.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    I took the 790 ADV R out for a ride.... and returned it early!

It was FAST, the power is there but a very boring characterless linear delivery which is prob nice if your doing serious adv riding in slippery terrain. It was also very vibey like something’s about to break type vibrations but since been told by respected riders that’s what all KTM’s feel like.
    The riding positions/ergonomics excellent (6ft) but the helmet buffeting off screen was as awful as described in ALL of the roadtests at normal highway cruising speed. Gearshift didn’t feel sturdy, overall it didn’t feel like a $24k bike to me.....
    Will have to try the 890 though and see if that extra cc has given it any feeling of torque along with the heavier crank.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Thanks for your replies, everyone. Unfortunately reliability seems to be an ongoing issue with KTM, and it seems it's luck whether you get a good one or have problems. I see that Boyds has a 790 with over 70,000 km, so someone had a good run with theirs!

Bike
    ES XTZ
    A fella i ride with has an 890R they both carve up the Akaroa GP rather well.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Thanks for your replies, everyone. Unfortunately reliability seems to be an ongoing issue with KTM, and it seems it's luck whether you get a good one or have problems. I see that Boyds has a 790 with over 70,000 km, so someone had a good run with theirs!
    My 1290 SDR has over 132,000km on it. Of course it has now broken, but it's not too serious. Looking at replacing timing chains, tensioners and guides.
    Still uses no oil between changes and has been a fantastic bike overall. I'm glad I didn't listen to the nay-sayers that said "Don't buy a KTM".
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I'm glad I didn't listen to the nay-sayers that said "Don't buy a KTM".
    Nearly 3 years of 790 ownership now. I probably wouldn't have bought one if there was regular commuting involved but as a fun machine, it's hard to beat. It's likely to be the last bike I own and from that perspective, it's great to finish on something that makes me laugh every time I ride it.

Thread Information