Thread: Aprilia Tuono 660 - Anyone ridden one yet?

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

Aprilia Tuono 660 - Anyone ridden one yet?

Hi All

Has anyone ridden one yet? What did you think?

It looks like a cracking machine from what I've seen and like a real recipe for fun.

Bike
    Tuono 660, Suzuki SV650 racebike

Thumbs up

Sorry bout slow reply, not on here often...

I bought one 1st of October last year and was told at the time that it was the first on the road in NZ, not that it really matters.
    Anyhoo, I've clocked up 7,600kms on it since then and overall are very happy with my purchase. I would say though that I think the Tuono is slightly overpriced comparing its spec level to the RS model and also other European bikes like the Ducati Monster 937 and KTM 890Duke R which are similar money.
    It's only $1000 less than the RS but misses out on the quick shifter, lithium battery, 6 axis IMU, gold anodizing on the forks and has less suspension adjustability. It does have both wheels the same color though which is a good thing in my opinion!

Apart from looking awesome (I'm biased) its best features are the great motor and handling. I dont really notice the 'flat spot' some reviewers talk about but you definitely get most go in the upper rev range. It eats my SV650 and also my mates R-7. The engine has got that Italian sports feel and sound to it. Not the smoothest of beasts but it has character. It does have a bit of a growl to it but the exhaust note is too muted for my liking. It does not sound as good stock as a RSV4.

The handling is very sharp. Its got a wheel base shorter than my old Ninja 400 and combined with a 24 deg steering angle it turns in on the proverbial dime. Very flickable. The wide bars help too. A lot of fun in the twisties and easy to punt around town. Its still stable though and the front end in particular feels very planted and confidence inspiring. This was one of the features that impressed me the most initially. With time I've come to realise that the rear shock (Sachs brand) is the Achilles heel. Riding my mates R-7 clinched it for me, his was way better in the rear. So I've ordered a YSS rear shock for it as I intend to race this bike in a couple of years time once I've had my fun on the SV. Bit disappointing on a 20K (on the road) bike though.

A few other points: The seat is good for a 500km day easy and the riding position is comfy, the hard luggage tray under the pillion seat is the best idea ever (other manufactures take note!) the cruise control is awesome, I'll never be able to go back to a bike without. It's crazy economical - 3.6l/100km with control set at 105km/hr. The Pirelli stock tyres are really good and wearing better than expected. Should get 9K outta the rear.

Cons: The fuel tank is plastic, no good for magnetic tank bag. My dash flickers sometimes but hasn't got any worse. No sight glass for checking oil level quickly. The gear box is a little clunky esp when cold. Valve clearance check intervals only 20K and I doubt it will be cheap. That's about it, minor grizzles really.

Do I recommend one? You betcha!

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Thanks for the review. I'll definitely be trying one of those when I eventually replace my Street Triple. It's up to 80,000 km now.

I'm in no hurry to get rid of it though. I'll hang onto it for as long as it stays reliable.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    '21 Aprilia Tuono
    I see Aprilia have brought out a "Factory" version of the Tuono 660. The factory version has the IMU, quickshifter and adjustable suspension.

https://www.mcnews.com.au/aprilia-ad...ition-in-2022/

Bike
    Tuono 660, Suzuki SV650 racebike
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruahine View Post
    I see Aprilia have brought out a "Factory" version of the Tuono 660. The factory version has the IMU, quickshifter and adjustable suspension.

https://www.mcnews.com.au/aprilia-ad...ition-in-2022/
    Yep, and 5 more HP to bring it into line with the RS model power wise although I'm finding 95HP is enough! With hindsight I probably should have waited for the factory version but didnt know it would be out so soon.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Thanks for the review. It sounds like it's a wee ripper of a bike and worth a ride if I get the chance.

Thread Information