Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Triumph Street Triple issues.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries

Triumph Street Triple issues.

My son has street triple, a sweeter little bike I have never ridden. Until today. He called me to come and assist at the roadside. Said he was at an intersection, stalled it, went to restart and the engine/trans is locked up. can be pushed ok in neutral. Oil and water levels both ok, was not overheating on the gauge. Loaded it into the van and got it home. It started ok and engine sounds normal, so thats good, but when put into gear it stalls, even before the clutch is released. We are going to look at the simple things first, like the side stand switch, but anyone know if striples have any known problems? TIA
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I had an 11 until recently replaced with a new one, so I'm on the forums a lot.

No, not common. In fact your description of the Trans locked up?!!?

Really? Are you sure?

Let's step by that, sidestand switch sounds likely. Clutch switches can get dicky but that would mean it didn't want to start until it saw the switch pull in. Clean with pressure from brake clean can. (Wear eye protection. Really). I bypassed the switch on my Tiger that had same issues. This is temp fix as it wants to see switch working, but unplug bullet connectors I added to loom and connect together so can get on way.

Ahh! Can I read above symptoms as follows; bike stalls. Won't start or turn over. Can be pushed in neutral. Maybe hesitant to start again . .?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reply. Havent had a look at it yet, he is having a bad weekend to say the least - the trip yesterday (when it failed) was to look at a car. The car was duly purchased and driven home, I took the bike to his place in the van. This morning the car rolled backwards down the driveway with the drivers door open. Hit the fence post and bent the door upwards and folded the front guard ('08 Ford Explorer). He's staying away from anything with a motor right now. Might have a look at the bike tomorrow.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Oh dear. Stay in bed day.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    As it happened. no. Off to Pickapart this morning, got a good door, guard and some trim bits for $200. Spent the rest of the day fixing that (Fords are turds to work on - everything held together with plastic nails). So thats fixed. The bike did not miraculously fix itself being left alone so he will start with the sidestand switch tomorrow
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    My son has street triple, a sweeter little bike I have never ridden. Until today. He called me to come and assist at the roadside. Said he was at an intersection, stalled it, went to restart and the engine/trans is locked up. can be pushed ok in neutral. Oil and water levels both ok, was not overheating on the gauge. Loaded it into the van and got it home. It started ok and engine sounds normal, so thats good, but when put into gear it stalls, even before the clutch is released. We are going to look at the simple things first, like the side stand switch, but anyone know if striples have any known problems? TIA
    My clutch plates where sticking on my vfr 750 ur sure clutch cable not snaped .sounds like
    Clutch plates stuck.if bike changes gear with clutch fully dis engaged .

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    When you put it into gear (I assume with the clutch pulled in and side stand up) does the bike try to move when you engage a gear ... or just dies .. ??

If it moves the bike ... it is a clutch (plate or lever) issue. If it doesn't ... it's a kill switch type issue.

As you said ... likely the side stand switch. They can be disabled by earthing the line to the side stand (I think). But a good place to start looking for issues.

I have heard of some bikes not able to be started without the clutch pulled in (another kill switch at the clutch lever ??).
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRider View Post
    I have heard of some bikes not able to be started without the clutch pulled in (another kill switch at the clutch lever ??).
    I can confirm that the Street Triple is one such bike. (At least my 2016 model bike is.)

Hopefully the OP has sorted their issue by now though.

Sent from my SM-S901E using Tapatalk

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Yes was sorted and no problems since other than the stator frying. Replaced that and now its just regular maintenance parts - tyres, chain sprockets. Still. a brilliant wee bike though.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Yes was sorted and no problems since other than the stator frying. Replaced that and now its just regular maintenance parts - tyres, chain sprockets. Still. a brilliant wee bike though.
    Some Triumphs also have reg/rec issues. Fried stators are often a symptom.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Some Triumphs also have reg/rec issues. Fried stators are often a symptom.
    The Street Triples fried rec/reg regularly. So much so that the factory started offering a MOSFET item as the Triumph replacement part. Whether they actually loosened the purse strings enough to fit MOSFET items from new I don't know. If it does need to be replaced make sure the new one is a MOSFET.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    The Street Triples fried rec/reg regularly. So much so that the factory started offering a MOSFET item as the Triumph replacement part. Whether they actually loosened the purse strings enough to fit MOSFET items from new I don't know. If it does need to be replaced make sure the new one is a MOSFET.
    Good to know, thanks. I know there are heaps of cheap, fake Shindegen mosfets on AliExpress, no doubt the genuine Triumph part will be really spendy.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Blog Entries
    From about 2010, my 11 had one, SH14 from memory. Probably still on the shelf if you get desperate. I put on one from a DL1000 as they are Wave chopping and betterer still, just as a preemptive measure. That and bare crimp crimping the stator wires to remove the connector to the main loom.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    From about 2010, my 11 had one, SH14 from memory. Probably still on the shelf if you get desperate. I put on one from a DL1000 as they are Wave chopping and betterer still, just as a preemptive measure. That and bare crimp crimping the stator wires to remove the connector to the main loom.
    FH012AA or FH020AA are the Shindengen part numbers for the MOSFET shunt regulator. I fitted one to the R1 years ago, it's done the job well.

The series regulators have an SH prefix and are recommended for bikes that tend to burn out stators.

eBay and AliExpress are awash with fakes, beware!

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I don't know of anywhere local that sells genuine Shindengen, but there are a few websites in the US such as https://www.roadstercycle.com/

That will give you a benchmark price at least.

Thread Information