Thread: @kiwibiker.co.nz emails to shutdown.

Bike
    CharlesidealOB
    Blog Entries

Thumbs down @kiwibiker.co.nz emails to shutdown.

Google is ending its free ‘legacy’ G Suite in May, which is what I use to provide these email accounts. So if you have an account you'll need to transfer all your content out before then or loose it.

Please forward all complaints to Google.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankMe View Post
    Google is ending its free ‘legacy’ G Suite in May, which is what I use to provide these email accounts. So if you have an account you'll need to transfer all your content out before then or loose it.

Please forward all complaints to Google.
    Did Google notify you of the change? I have had free Gmail for my domain for a very long time, must be about 15 years.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Bike
    CharlesidealOB
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Did Google notify you of the change? I have had free Gmail for my domain for a very long time, must be about 15 years.

Just heard it in the news. Google "G Suite legacy" and you'll see the stories of Google starting to charge for the service in May.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    You're supposed to get an email (I haven't) and a notification in the Admin console (I don't)... Mine simply says I'm on the G Suite legacy free-of-charge edition, and I should consider upgrading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    You're supposed to get an email (I haven't) and a notification in the Admin console (I don't)... Mine simply says I'm on the G Suite legacy free-of-charge edition, and I should consider upgrading.
    No email and no notifications or messages in Admin Console. I shall wait as Google normally give you plenty of time before making changes, such as when they killed Play Music.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Well I've received the email, but can't see any notification in admin.google.com. I did see this however, where Google has a tucked away survey form (three questions - email address, how do you use it, and can you be contacted) only if you're logged in with that admin account: https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder...g_suite_users/

Filled it in, can't hurt.
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Thanks, I will fill in the form.

My use is business, but I don't use any other G Suite features and am never likely to.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    An update on the end of the free GSuite Legacy edition.

If you are using your domain name as your email, then Google are going to charge $9 per month per user eventually. There is 4 months free and then a year at half price, but that will be the cost in 16 months' time.

I signed up today but that turned into a drama because Google think I'm in the US and wouldn't accept a NZ billing address. That took an hour to sort out (not all Super Admin accounts are the same apparently) but I'll stay with Google until late next year when the price goes up. I will probably look at transferring my email to someone local at that point, but it will be a PITA untangling my personal and business Google accounts.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Cheers for that update, hadn't seen it yet.
    I'm biting the bullet and switching my massive 3-4 accounts over to Microsoft and will use Exchange Online Plan 1 (real basic 50GB mailbox but includes activesync) for something like $5-6 a month per mailbox.

Since I work for a Microsoft Partner and do this stuff for my crust of bread I should probably be Ok with it... just the damn hassle of data migration, then making sure the addresses are OK as basic accounts for the rest play store, apps, mobiles etc.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    One thing I forgot to mention - with moving to a paid account, the email per user doubles to 30 GB. That saves me having to clean up over 10 years' of messages!

Also, I hadn't realised is that your Google Photos backup and Google Drive files are added to the email data. I will be moving those to my personal account.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Well, procrastinators unite! (umm, not now, no rush, we can do this later)

Google seems to have backpeddled (feels like a bully taking his foot off your chest - only to re-apply it later for laughs) and now you can opt out of migration and stay on G Suite legacy. If you have migrated over to paid, you can contact support, and now apparently there is a workspace free option (so... even more fragmented).

Useful thread (and subreddit):https://www.reddit.com/r/gsuitelegac..._free_edition/
    Actual link (from it) that you need as a superadmin in the Google Admin console: https://admin.google.com/?action_id=...rce=helpcenter

You'll go through 3 easy pages confirming it's for personal use, and then you're done... takes a minute.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gsuitelegacy1.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	78.7 KB 
ID:	351082   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gsuitelegacy2.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	351083   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gsuitelegacy3.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	53.2 KB 
ID:	351084  

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Good news for non-commercial users! I can't really complain as I have had about 15 years of free email for my business. But all I use is Gmail and their free apps, so am still a little grumpy.

I will probably change to the business version of Office 365 when I have to pay full price for GSuite next year.

Thread Information