Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help I need somebody... 😫 Newby Questions where to start?

Bike
    Suzuki Volty 1996

Help I need somebody... 😫 Newby Questions where to start?

Hi guys,

I finally bought my first bike after procrastinating and looking for what felt like decades (months really) a 96 Suzuki Volty TU250
    I'd been going and looking at bikes for awhile and didn't really consider the bike I ended up buying but once I rode it I decided to bite the bullet.

The volty didn't come with any service history and hadn't been registered for a few years so I thought I should see to getting the oil and filter replaced and would like to do this myself but haven't done anything like this before.
    I then noticed that the oil screw cap is broken off where you turn it and I can't seem to undo it.
    I'm new to all this and first bike and all was wondering if there is a sorry for the term but backyard mechanic that could help me out and could even show me how to do the oil and filter and take a look at the overall bike to see what if anything need attention, I can pay or shout beer or likewise.
    I've also noticed the front forks are leaking fluid.

I'm a father of a 4 year old boy so between that and working full-time I don't really get the time to look on YouTube or Google for ways to learn the mechanical side of things.
    I really want to look after and maintain this bike as it's my transport to work but I have to admit I don't know too much about the workings of of motorcycle but really keen to learn.

If anyone can provide guidance or advice it would be really appreciated.

Also wanting to know if I should start the bike up everyday to avoid the battery going flat? As it's an old bike I'm concerned the battery might be old too and to be honest I don't even know where to locate the battery on the bike...

Thanks in advance . New bike owner. Dave.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    This might be of use: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/18...ki-Tu250x.html

These folks may also be helpful: TU250 Riders

Cheers

Bike
    Old Bikes
    There’s a fair bit to unpack there.

You wouldn’t need to start the bike everyday to keep the battery charged. If you are riding it to work then that should be enough to keep it alive. Unless it’s stuffed. A quick and dirty way to measure the battery capability is to point the bike at a wall, turn ignition on and then the headlight. Don’t start the bike. If the battery can keep the light shining brightly on the wall for 2 minutes or so then it’s probably fine.

Battery is usually under the seat or behind a side panel. If it needs replacing try a Motobatt equivalent for whatever it has now. Cheap and quite reliable. Get something with enough CCA ( old Cranking Amps) so it can reliably run the starter motor. Presume the Volty is electric start?

Fork oil leaks are a WOF fail usually. Where is the leak? Likely fork seals but maybe not. There’s a trick you can do with a piece of thin plastic ( eg milk container ) to wipe around the inside of the seal to get rid of any junk that might be between the seal and the fork leg. It won’t fix the seal but might help slow the leak. Ultimately seals need replacing. Doable at home with the right gear and a manual. Expensive at a bike shop. Not a quick process. The forks need to be stripped.

Getting the oil filler cap off might require some butchery. Try a pair of vice grips. Or make a notch in the perimeter of the cap and gently tap the cap with a screwdriver and hammer. Oil change is sensible if the bike has been off the road for a while.

Four year old boys love to hand spanners to Dads working on bikes. Get him involved.

There is a TU forum that looks reasonably active. Might be worth a look.
    Ginge

Bike
    Suzuki Volty 1996
    Thankyou guys for taking the time to read my post and replying, I'm new to this and keen to learn as much as possible.

It's a cool bike, I took it out for another ride today, not overly powerful but enough to keep up and blend with traffic on the motorway.

It starts easy and rides without any problems so I want to try to learn the maintenance side of things to keep the bike running well and to get the most out of it.

I'm enjoying it and will hopefully gain more confidence as I go.

Cheers. Dave.

Bike
    Suzuki Volty 1996

Cool

Thanks guys,

Ginge, thanks heaps for the tips I appreciate it, the left fork has a thinnish layer of oil/grease over the area of the tube that goes down into the fork leg (not sure if I'm using the right words for the fork parts) and there has been a few drips from around the seal after I've been riding.

Also unsure if the fuel petcock is working, should I always turn it off when not riding, or does it not make much difference? I think the guy I bought it off just left it on the fuel position.

In regards to the battery, say if I don't ride the bike for 3-4 days (as I sometimes have to take the car to work) would I need to start the bike say every other day just to keep the battery alive?

Thanks again. Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220206_094626.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	496.4 KB 
ID:	350608  

Bike
    Suzuki Volty 1996

Cool

Thanks heaps, I did the thing with wiping the plastic around the fork tube (sounds like a cooking show lol ) and it looks like it did the trick but don't know for sure as haven't gone for a ride yet due to the good old rain - how inconsiderate of the weather 😀 trust me to buy a bike on the only week forecasting rain the entire time, will go for a bit of a ride today as wanting to build confidence and i dont think I can avoid the rain for ever otherwise the bike will never see the light of day..

I managed to undo the oil filler cap too so I just have to find out what type/grade oil to refill with and how much and also what oil filter to use, I phoned repco but they didn't know and I haven't had any luck online, I pretty sure it's just 10W40 but unsure of the filter? Would it make much difference in the Brand of oil and would repco sell it or should i look/buy from somewhere else?

I'm in West Auckland and wanting to attempt doing the oil change asap but just wanting to make sure I buy the correct gear for it as I haven't done this before.

Cheers. Dave.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Make sure it is motorcycle specific oil, you don't want any of those nasty additives that cars use.

How to change the oil on a TU 2 fiddly.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Suzuki Volty 1996
    Thankyou George,

Would I need to buy/use a torque wrench for the oil filter or ok to do by hand?

Cheers. Dave

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave79 View Post
    Thankyou George,

Cheers. Dave
    depends on how you trust yourself to use tools, problem with bikes is you really need a inch pound and foot pound one to do all the maintenance.
    get on TM and see if there's some cheap ones around you if that makes you happy and more comfortable using one.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Thankyou George,

Cheers. Dave

That is a tough question.

I personally don't use one, cue cries of disbelief and horror. But I've never been one for going gorilla on me nuts.

The oil filter cap compresses a seal so the bolts don't need to be super tight, snug as the guy say's. The worst that will happen is a wee dribble of oil if they are not tight enough, in which case just another wee nip. Tighten bolts in rotation so they all stay under the same load and the cap sits evenly.

Get yourself a new seal, takes any worry out of re-using the old one.

Get a new sump plug washer, too. Be careful not too over tighten the sump plug, they can strip the sump if you really go TAF.

Check for leaks on the filter and sump plug after warming the oil up.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Sold
    Thanks heaps, I did the thing with wiping the plastic around the fork tube (sounds like a cooking show lol ) and it looks like it did the trick but don't know for sure as haven't gone for a ride yet due to the good old rain - how inconsiderate of the weather 😀 trust me to buy a bike on the only week forecasting rain the entire time, will go for a bit of a ride today as wanting to build confidence and i dont think I can avoid the rain for ever otherwise the bike will never see the light of day..
    Dave, with respect to the confidence thing, do the Ride Forever Bronze, Silver and Gold courses, you'll never regret it. They're inexpensive and sometimes free. With you living out west, you have easy access to Philip McDaid at Riderskills: https://www.riderskills.co.nz/.

Cheers,

Geoff

Bike
    Old Bikes
    I’ve never used a torque wrench when replacing an oil filter. Get it tight, but not ridiculously tight. You’ll strip threads.

Super cheap and Repco are fine if you know what you are looking for but, as a rule, don’t do motorcycles. Find a bike shop.

As the lads suggested use bike specific oil. It matters in the clutch department which is different on s bike compared to a car.

Keep at it.

Did you locate the battery?
    Ginge

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    For an old bike I'd use Penrite's 10w40 - supercheap sell it, it has a motorcycle on the front so you know its for motorcycles :P
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by iYRe View Post
    For an old bike I'd use Penrite's 10w40 - supercheap sell it, it has a motorcycle on the front so you know its for motorcycles :P
    Yup, I believe the spec is Jaso-ma.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    2007 Triumph Tiger 1050
    Blog Entries
    I think so too..

i find it makes things rattle a bit less, clutch a bit smoother, and just generally nicer.

And its Aussie, so why not eh?
    "If a million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing." - Anatole France
    "An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you know and what you don't." - Anatole France
    ZRXOA #9170

Thread Information