Thread: Multi purpose tyres

Bike
    2007 BMW F800R

Multi purpose tyres

Hi All

Rode my 'new' 2013 F800R home today from the shop, so good to be back on a bike again! Totally agree with some of the comments both on this forum and others that the engine is a bit 'agricultural' but it's exactly what I was looking for at this time, very happy rider!

It's come with standard road tyres, but I want to change them for more multipurpose tyres which would give me more grip on compacted gravel roads as I expect to be doing about 70% sealed roads v 30% compacted gravel adventures. I was looking at the continental TKC70 which seem ideal, but due to supply chain issues here in NZ the lead in time is about 3 months.

Any suggestions on good alternatives to the TKC70?

Thanks
    Johnny

Bike
    2013 DL650A V-Strom McCruise Added
    I use Michelin Road 5 Trails on my 650 & they work well both on road & off .

They grip like glue on tarseal and I haven't had any issues on gravel .

And they last pretty good too

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Depends on your preferences, some people hate a tyre while others love it, so with that in mind.
    You need to decide between groove based tyres (more road orientated) and block based tyres (more adventure orientated)

The Road 5 Trail is the sports tyre of adventure bikes, in no way is it a 70/30 etc. In Michelin, you're looking at the Anakee range, Anakee 3, Anakee Adventure, Anakee Wild (in order from road to adventure).
    For Continental, besides the TKC70, you've also got the TKC70 Rocks, a newer tyre to fit between the 70 and the TKC80 (this is like the Anakee Wild).

You've also got a lot of options in Bridgestone, A41 and AX41, Dunlop, Metzler, Mitas, Motoz (you want the Tractionator range, starts with GPS, then Adventure and finally Rallz in the main range), Pirelli etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    2007 BMW F800R
    Thanks, that's give me a lot to 'google' and research.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Just to chuck a spanner in the works...

I have tried 3 different brands of 70 / 30 ish adventure tyres on my TDM, I do like a bit of gravel shenanigans.

My conclusion was that none of them were significantly better on gravel than normal sport touring tyres but were compromised with harder road riding. Not by much but on wet roads and edge grip they were not as confidence inspiring. Squirm..

Wear quicker, too.

It could just be a head thing but the adv tyres did not increase my confidence on gravel. Still easy to lock the front and real easy to unhook the rear.

My sport touring tyres feel pretty much the same, my pace is still the same.

Touch wood, no punctures either.

Ultimately, if a tyre gives you confidence it's probably a good choice.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    I've got Shinko 705's on the my DR-Z

Great on gravel, good round town - very 'appy wee Jimmy

Do they make them in BMW size?
    =mjc=

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    I've got Shinko 705's on the my DR-Z

Great on gravel, good round town - very 'appy wee Jimmy

Do they make them in BMW size?
    That was one of the brands I used. Excellent bang for buck.

The TDM found their limitations quite quickly but on my DT230 they are fantastic. They stick like shit to a blanket in just about all conditions on a light bike and last for eons.

As a cheap do it all tyre they are really hard to beat. Definitely an option for the gentleman rider.
    Manopausal.

Thread Information