Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Second Bike Options

Bike
    Triumph Street Triple S 660 2021

Second Bike Options

Hey Ladies and Gents,
    I currently have A Royal Enfield Meteor 350 which I have found to be a great starting bike, however, I find that it lacks the speed I want. E.G. its top speed isn't to flash. I'm no daredevil or anything I just want to be able to get to 100 without too much effort and sit there and cruise. I'm a relatively big guy 6'4" and about 95Kg. I was interested in hearing what people think a good upgrade would be, oh I'm currently on my restricted still. I mostly use my bike around windy Wellington but would like something that would make longer rides easier.

I have been looking at the Triumph Trident 660 LAMS, however, that doesn't look like it would be possible to whack a bag on that back.
    Another option is Triumph Tiger Sport 660 LAM

My breadth of knowledge about bikes isn't as vast as many on here so I was hoping to get a few good suggestions. Thanks everyone

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    A pack rack like a ventura evo turned over pillion seat will make the 660 I would think. Started typing when I saw 660 and thought you meant the Street 660. Look on Web for packracks.

Other question is how long till full license? Is it just worth waiting until?

Actually tbh when I saw the title I was about to suggest a 3rd and 4th. But I guess you don't mean 'at once'. Where as I did.

Trailing, trackside Trials bike, opps that's 5.

Postscript, at tall size, a Tiger anything would be worth trying for Size.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Other question is how long till full license? Is it just worth waiting until? 15 months with out doing the CBTAF6

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Well surely you would want to do that. I did training back in the day and it was all useful to build on. Provisional was only like 6 months I think. Hmm, that might have been with training certificate.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Given your physical dimensions a LAMS VStrom 650 would be a good option. Easy to get spares for, reliable, well proven and well priced what's not to like?

Bike
    I have been looking at those also 12000 for a 2020 is not bad at all.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    The Kawasaki Versys equivalent might be worth a look too. While your height may seem to limit your choices now that could change. The first thing I used to look at was the tank range, now it's the seat height. I'd need a ladder to get on a lot of modern bikes.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    KLR650 suits taller riders. Far more capable than non-KLR riders would credit.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    We just took a KLR650 to the South Island. It handled surprisingly well. Scarily well in fact. I comfortably ran out of confidence to lean it over more way before it ran out of grip. It was surprisingly capable in that respect. It had no problems hanging with my Street Triple unless I really really pushed the pace.

It definitely exceeded my expectations.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    You might fit the new model CB500X (with upside down forks and twin discs up front) which is 'coming soon' if you're looking for reliability, economy and a lovely smooth engine.

https://www.hondamotorbikes.co.nz/ad...s-bikes/cb500x

Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Bear in mind that if you buy a Lams 650, it will be harder to onsell. If you bought a late model full power v strom for instance, and just put your l plate on, at your size, any cop respectfully spoken too will use their discretion.
    They are a cracking bike too.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    You might fit the new model CB500X (with upside down forks and twin discs up front) which is 'coming soon' if you're looking for reliability, economy and a lovely smooth engine.
    A guy I knew was an engineer and part owner of an oil field engineering company. Being single he could afford any bike he wanted and he was constantly changing bikes. At first the salesmen were excited when he walked in, but eventually his preference for extended haggling turned their excitement into grimaces.
    Having tried anything and everything for a decade or two, his last bike was a CB500 from that range. I can't remember which variant, but he thought it was all he needed.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post

https://www.hondamotorbikes.co.nz/ad...s-bikes/cb500x
    A mate of mine in the UK has one of these but the CBR version. Loves it and reckons it is all the bike you'd ever really need. I reckon he's right too.

When will Blue Wing bring it here to NZ though?

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    A mate of mine in the UK has one of these but the CBR version. Loves it and reckons it is all the bike you'd ever really need. I reckon he's right too.

When will Blue Wing bring it here to NZ though?
    I found this listing on Trademe from a dealership in Whanganui which says early March? Pretty much all the other listings are still for the 2021 and earlier models.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/m...3?bof=rbfMbvuG
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    MT10SP
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasamos183 View Post
    Hey Ladies and Gents,
    I currently have A Royal Enfield Meteor 350 which I have found to be a great starting bike, however, I find that it lacks the speed I want. E.G. its top speed isn't to flash. I'm no daredevil or anything I just want to be able to get to 100 without too much effort and sit there and cruise. I'm a relatively big guy 6'4" and about 95Kg. I was interested in hearing what people think a good upgrade would be, oh I'm currently on my restricted still. I mostly use my bike around windy Wellington but would like something that would make longer rides easier.

I have been looking at the Triumph Trident 660 LAMS, however, that doesn't look like it would be possible to whack a bag on that back.
    Another option is Triumph Tiger Sport 660 LAM

My breadth of knowledge about bikes isn't as vast as many on here so I was hoping to get a few good suggestions. Thanks everyone
    I'm 6'5 115kg I had a tracer 700 (LAMS) they're and MT07 with a screen a slightly higher seat and bars (so better than MT-07 for a tall rider) it comes with panders too but they just clip off.
    As a 1st bike it was pretty forgiving, plenty of leg room, light enough you could keep it off the ground when stuffing up the low speed learning, plenty of torque etc It would do 100kph no worries and held its value-(I traded it for what I paid)
    The suspension is actually what made me trade up to the MT-10sp
    It was cheap to run too unlike its big brother.

Thread Information