Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Petrol prices!

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Well, you kind of have to if you own a Leaf.
    I very nearly ordered a Tesla last year because the thing was around $53k which is pretty good value. Instead I bought another motorbike and will drive my 10 year old Subaru for a little while longer.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    So the other day when people were panic queuing, I had the misfortune of being on E. I was going to drop in the Waitomo at Pirongia and I saw queues of the like I had never seen before. Thought I would come back later. Big mistake the queue was even longer! I unfortunately had some dude with 6 x 200 liter barrels in his little single axle trailer. The servo owner came out and told him to fuck off. The guy just said, nope, this is not illegal, and proceeded to start filling the drums. I finally got to the pump behind him, I asked him what all the armageddon was about? He said fuel was going up to $4 a liter that evening. I looked at the price of the 91 he was pumping. $2.91. I took off wondering if his trailer was going to handle the 1200 kg's he was adding to its weight. The next day fuel at the same servo was $3.099. Hardly $4, hmmmm. Then the next day it went down to $2.72. Made we wonder how that guy felt now.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I very nearly ordered a Tesla last year because the thing was around $53k which is pretty good value. Instead I bought another motorbike and will drive my 10 year old Subaru for a little while longer.
    This months "Classic Car" has a piece "a nasty shock awaits NZ electric vehicle owners" pointing out that Road User Charges will eventually (March 2024) be applied. It also mentions the potential home fire insurance excess if your garage is attached to the house, and what could happen if you dont inform the insurance company. Finally it raises the possibility of NZ following the UK with regards to home charging, in that there needs to be a separate meter for the car charger, allowing the potential of the electricity companies charging at a higher rate, or limiting the car charging in times of high use, or even draining the car battery back into the grid if need be.

And because this is a bike forum, the mag also had an article about the Suzuki RE5
    "
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    So the other day when people were panic queuing, I had the misfortune of being on E.
    I thought E went out in the 80's and in the waikato it's mostly P nowadays?

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    This months "Classic Car" has a piece "a nasty shock awaits NZ electric vehicle owners" pointing out that Road User Charges will eventually (March 2024) be applied. It also mentions the potential home fire insurance excess if your garage is attached to the house, and what could happen if you dont inform the insurance company. Finally it raises the possibility of NZ following the UK with regards to home charging, in that there needs to be a separate meter for the car charger, allowing the potential of the electricity companies charging at a higher rate, or limiting the car charging in times of high use, or even draining the car battery back into the grid if need be.

And because this is a bike forum, the mag also had an article about the Suzuki RE5
    "
    separate meters are already here, they are called night rate but of course how many people want to come home from work and not use their car till the next day? the smater way is to have a charger that knows what power is being used in the house, and can react to that, haphazard though

Bike
    Indian Scout
    An Electrician once said to me after installing 5 car charging stations into our work building that, if every house in a street went electric the local power lines would fail. They were never made for such extreme use.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    So the other day when people were panic queuing, I had the misfortune of being on E. I was going to drop in the Waitomo at Pirongia and I saw queues of the like I had never seen before. Thought I would come back later. Big mistake the queue was even longer! I unfortunately had some dude with 6 x 200 liter barrels in his little single axle trailer. The servo owner came out and told him to fuck off. The guy just said, nope, this is not illegal, and proceeded to start filling the drums. I finally got to the pump behind him, I asked him what all the armageddon was about? He said fuel was going up to $4 a liter that evening. I looked at the price of the 91 he was pumping. $2.91. I took off wondering if his trailer was going to handle the 1200 kg's he was adding to its weight. The next day fuel at the same servo was $3.099. Hardly $4, hmmmm. Then the next day it went down to $2.72. Made we wonder how that guy felt now.
    so many fuckwits ! I shakes my head ! I bet the boot is full of toilet rolls as well ?

$2.60 for 91 at Leeevin today........

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    so many fuckwits ! I shakes my head ! I bet the boot is full of toilet rolls as well ?

$2.60 for 91 at Leeevin today........
    Yep. $2.67 at the local Z.

All the talk of people buying electric cars. Nobody knows the future, but we've had temporary price hikes before and this may be yet another. The buyers may not feel so smug when the petrol price drops back and the road user charges go on.

Meanwhile we burn imported coal to charge the batteries in their "green" alternative. It's just possible we haven't thought this through.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Did he have any DG placards? I think 200L is max a private person can cart of flammable liquid.
    Pretty crappy looking single trailer with 1200kg load????
    Looks like a farmer/contractor in which case he needs;
    Hazardous goods approved trailer
    Placards on trailer
    Placards on front of towing vehicle
    DG load plan in towing vehicles vehicle
    Hazardous response guide in vehicle
    DG declaration from supplier noting class/risk group/place of loading /0800 emergency info contact
    Paperwork to be stored in proper folder in drivers door
    Driver to have access on board to suitable spill response kit for minor leakage control
    Driver to have Hazardoys good stuff endorsement on licence.
    Each drum to have DG class sticker on it.

All of those are fines of $2000 and $10,000 EACH for respective driver and business
    CVIU would have loved to pull him over.... oh doesn’t look like it’s secured in proper manner either.
    Also DG drums are not allowed to be deck stowed they must be on a pallet base due to numerous incidents where stones on deck plus road vibrations drill holes in drum base.
    Last edited by R650R; 17th March 2022 at 14:33. Reason: Load security
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Yep. $2.67 at the local Z.

All the talk of people buying electric cars. Nobody knows the future, but we've had temporary price hikes before and this may be yet another. The buyers may not feel so smug when the petrol price drops back and the road user charges go on.

Meanwhile we burn imported coal to charge the batteries in their "green" alternative. It's just possible we haven't thought this through.
    Yes indeed but the powers that be love the prospect of getting us slaves to limit our movements.

Eg imagine the Wellington protest trying to happen on EV.... 2000 vehicles would there with dead batteries on day two. While some say that’s great there may be a time in the future when there’s something more legitimate that the masses want to protest but they won’t be able to as big brother will just switch the grid off.
    Just ask the Russian Amry about range anxiety.....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post

"
    Yep - I read that same article and found it to rather interesting. In short there are a number of unknown and unseen factors to be taken into consideration with Electric Vehicles, whether they have 4 wheels or less. A colleague put me onto the Super Soco website as they have a few NZ outlets now. Some interesting figures coming from their 'TC Max' machine as well as their forthcoming CP-X scooter, both of which claim top speeds of 90-100 Km/hr. What's not clear is their range when travelling at those speeds as the range quoted is calculated at 45 Km/hr, doubtless in flat conditions too.

They claim that the battery packs (Significantly larger on the TC Max) are removable and can therefore be charged remotely (In the office for example) and then reinstalled for your ride back home. Whilst I'm not 100% convinced about the real world range these do seem to be the best attempts yet at giving you something that could perhaps replace an ICE-powered scooter/bike for commuting purposes only.

Price appears to be between $8-10k so that's pretty competitive too, compared to my Piaggio Beverly 350 at least.

Thread Information