ZX14R, E=mc2

The Ukraine Invasion.

Guess this is an overdue topic.

Here's a starter. Not looking good.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...tion-corridors

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
    The two ii's in the the title Invasion. Spell check, my bad. Putin sems to be the new Butcher of Ukraine.
    Sems?

Ewes not havin a good spellin day.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Deja vu 1939. It's OK Guys Hitler has only invaded Poland and he says he won't go any further, what a relief this will be over in a week.

I know NATO have a scary tough choice. Get directly involved and risk all out WWIII or sit back, do nothing and watch innocent people getting blown up and hope the madman attacking them gets bored and decides to go fishing instead or play tennis. Putin is doing this because he is betting on NATO being the coward. No one wants this escalated. No one (apart from Putin) wants a war in Europe. The news at night is distressing to watch. I have a riding buddy who is Greek, his Wife Polish. Both speak constantly with their relatives back in Europe and the fear of all out war is palatable.

My 2 cents worth is NATO must help and provide the air support President Zelenskyy is asking for otherwise we have learnt nothing from history. As the often misquoted saying goes- all it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Deja vu 1939. It's OK Guys Hitler has only invaded Poland and he says he won't go any further, what a relief this will be over in a week.

I know NATO have a scary tough choice. Get directly involved and risk all out WWIII or sit back, do nothing and watch innocent people getting blown up and hope the madman attacking them gets bored and decides to go fishing instead or play tennis. Putin is doing this because he is betting on NATO being the coward. No one wants this escalated. No one (apart from Putin) wants a war in Europe. The news at night is distressing to watch. I have a riding buddy who is Greek, his Wife Polish. Both speak constantly with their relatives back in Europe and the fear of all out war is palatable.

My 2 cents worth is NATO must help and provide the air support President Zelenskyy is asking for otherwise we have learnt nothing from history. As the often misquoted saying goes- all it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.
    I found this to be an interesting perspective and little discussed. Get the UN to move.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/progr...ion-of-ukraine
    Manopausal.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    ... My 2 cents worth is NATO must help and provide the air support President Zelenskyy is asking for otherwise we have learnt nothing from history. As the often misquoted saying goes- all it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

It may not be as simple as that.

A “NATO decision” is the expression of the collective will of all 30 member countries ... since all decisions of NATO are taken by consensus.

POLITICAL - NATO promotes democratic values and enables members to consult All NATO decisions are made by consensus, after discussion and consultation among member countries and cooperate on defense and security-related issues to solve problems, build trust and, in the long run, prevent conflict.

MILITARY - NATO is committed to the peaceful resolution of disputes. If diplomatic efforts fail, it has the military power to undertake crisis-management operations. These are carried out under the collective defense clause of NATO's founding treaty - Article 5 of the Washington Treaty The Parties agree that an armed attack against one or more of them in Europe or North America shall be considered an attack against them all and consequently they agree that, if such an armed attack occurs, each of them, in exercise of the right of individual or collective self-defence recognised by Article 51 of the Charter of the United Nations, will assist the Party or Parties so attacked by taking forthwith, individually and in concert with the other Parties, such action as it deems necessary, including the use of armed force, to restore and maintain the security of the North Atlantic area

Any such armed attack and all measures taken as a result thereof shall immediately be reported to the Security Council. Such measures shall be terminated when the Security Council has taken the measures necessary to restore and maintain international peace and security . or under a United Nations mandate, alone or in cooperation with other countries and international organizations.

My two cents worth is ... NATO will not take action until a member country is attacked. They may well be "On the ground" ... but until a NATO member border is crossed/attacked ...

NATO Member Countries.

https://www.nato.int/nato-welcome/index.html
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I found this to be an interesting perspective and little discussed. Get the UN to move.
    Problem is it's up to the Security Council. Russia has a permanent seat and the power of veto.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    Problem is it's up to the Security Council. Russia has a permanent seat and the power of veto.
    Unless the rest of the UN has consensus. IIRC.

A few member nations will just keep saying niet.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    husaberg

The UN security council works on the premise it has to be unanimous, Russia can just veto any decision which included saying "it was poor form old chap."
    to be fair, the US pulls the same shit with vetos only less often.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	danny da veto.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	350795

https://www.un.org/press/en/2022/sc14809.doc.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries

If Russia is vetoing a UN Security Council resolution on Ukraine ... the 15-member body will vote again to call a special session of the entire 193-member UN General Assembly.

When a resolution goes to vote in the General Assembly ... none of the permanent five members can use their veto. However ... unlike resolutions passed in the Security Council ... these are non-binding on member states.
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    It seems Ukraine was not without societal problems before the war. Great care is going to be needed afterwards as there will be a lot of people with weapons who probably shouldn’t have access to them.... Could be Afghanistan mkiii
    Maybe that’s why the west is reluctant to intervene as it would be to their advantage to balkanise ukraine into micro states where its easier to install a puppet to regime that could be a new nato client/military’s base while still giving Russia a technical bit of breathing space by letting it have the eastern provinces as independent states.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/world/europe/3...ope-and-beyond

Couple of interesting BBC docos over the years, best watch before they get deleted

First one from 8 years ago

Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    BBC news three years ago

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    What an amazing guy this Zelensky chap is from comedian to winning a war against Russia.
    Maybe after Trumps second term we could have Chris Rock or Dave Chappell running America.
    Jimmy Carr could do nice job of UK and perhaps Usulla Carlson could replace Jacinda.
    Keep up the great work Zelensky I think he should be present of the new post war European superstate that will replace the inept UN.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    What an amazing guy this Zelensky chap is from comedian to winning a war against Russia.
    A comedian yes but he's got a law degree, a very common qualification among politicians.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    It seems Ukraine was not without societal problems before the war. Great care is going to be needed afterwards as there will be a lot of people with weapons who probably shouldn’t have access to them.... Could be Afghanistan mkiii
    That's a different concern to the one I've seen expressed. There will be many Ukrainians who have lost a lot, possibly lost everything, they may want vengeance. Some could even have a Russian passport, some fairly heavy weaponry, and a desire for vengeance.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    A comedian yes but he's got a law degree, a very common qualification among politicians.
    Doesn't that tell you alot about the problems with our Politicians...
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Thread Information