Thread: Sugilites Voyage to Mumsies & Beyond!

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries

Sugilites Voyage to Mumsies & Beyond!

After reading MD's report and seeing his request for more motorcycle content within the forum (perish the thought) I thought I would do a report on my last weeks ride.
    After 16 years of riding ZXR750h1's on the road, I have moved over onto a thoroughly modern (cough, cough) 2004 Aprillia RSV1000R. My first Italian Motorcycle, and first V-Twin. The learning experience converting to the bike was much longer than I expected - perhaps a tale for another thread.
    I learned Sunday from my sister that our mother had suffered some uncharacteristic dizzy spells, so I knew I had to go down from Pirongia-ish to Waikanae the next morning. Fortunately I had just purchased an Oxford rear seat bag.
    So out to the garage to swap in a new rear tyre and bike prep. Bag packed, tyre fitted, and the bike is ready to roll come dawn.

With first light spreading across the mountain, it was time to go, brrr a tad chilly, but no worries. As soon as I was down off the mountain, an uninvited participant in the form of bloody Waikato fog made itself known, enough to make it difficult too see, and from experience, I dare not touch my visor. Anyways, I'm not letting that dampen my spirits, it was after all a beautiful morning as the towns stated to slip by. First Pirongia itself, then Otorahonga. Now heading towards Te Kuiti. Ive been following a truck for too long, the first generation digital dash is hard to read with the fog vapor, but I had spied a gap and slip by the truck. Ahhhh, bliss - a now clear road, the birds are tweeting, the fog is clearing, the sun is rising, the bike is purring and the red and blue lights are dancing across my mirrors. Wait - WTF??? I groan, a bloody cop is pulling me only moments into my ride He says he got me at 118 passing the truck, and 112 just after. He would give me a ticket for 112. I told myself that was a win. I know it is akin to sprinkling hundreds and thousands on a shit sandwich, but I was determined not to let it taint my ride.

So moving off from my roadside stop of shame, I snick gently through the gears towards Te Kuiti and onward to what I knew would be the days best section of road, from the turnoff onto State highway 4 on towards Taumaranui. I really like this flowing style of road, one can have plenty of fun whilst staying under the speed limit. I had recently had the rear shock rebuilt and re-sprung (they found the shim stack inside had been installed upside down!) and my forks rebuilt and re-sprung (they found there was so much fork oil inside, the forks were hydraulically locking and not using all the travel!). The suspension mods were really paying off with the bikes transition composure now a joy. Being able to thread through the bumps whilst already being committed to the corner was nice too. The 80 odd kilometers slip by in a pleasing flow of motorcycling nirvana - ahhhhh. My aging body has provided me with the solution to my homologated race bikes ergos, a woolworths bladder. As it turns out, micro piss stops sort out those sore wrists and plank hard race seat, and track settings rear suspension induced paddledbuttitis! At last, a silver lining to growing old

Leaving Taumaranui, I settled in for a run to Ohakune for a gas stop. And by the word settle, I mean fidget about on the bike finding creative new ride positions to mitigate the gifts that the onset of old age brings in the form of achy joints and muscles. It was a largely uneventful journey, though my micro bladder relief stop at National Park (there were houses and buildings down the side road - who knew?) bought to light, for me at least - a form of social media where the participants write their name and phone numbers on the bog walls. Nearly all of them promise a good time too. They sound like a fun bunch these locals So then it was onto Ohakune for gas.

The National Park Social Media Hub

Joining State highway 1 at Waiuru, saw me pretty much transport mode only - broken up by micro stops and another gas stop, oh and food. I got to Mumsies place just as she got back from seeing her GP. I stayed with her until midday the next day to make sure she was fine. It was time to get going, so off to see my mate in Upper Hutt.

So through one of my favourite roads I go, the Akatarawas, a road barely changed over the last 40 odd years I have been doing it, bar a few more lifestyle properties on the Upper Hutt end. Did the RSV suit this road? No not at all, Did I have fun? Absobloodylutely!
    My mate has been working from home since the red light thing and I was to get there at 2pm - unfortunately he had a load of zoom meetings dumped in his lap, so I had to kill time. But how? Barely a question worth asking with a fueled up RSV waiting to rock n roll on a beautiful day with all my old stomping ground roads awaiting me in the Waiarapa!
    On the approach to the Rimutakas, the gateway to the Waiarapa, I reflect upon all the many awesome times I had over this road. In my younger days, I spent so much time (and rubber) on it, that I started receiving rate demands from the Upper Hutt council.
    Though the character of this classic has changed over the years, it is still a fantastic section of road! The sun was shining bright and I was here to party! A party that was pretty much immediately shut down by the 8+ police patrol cars, each car containing 4 party crashing/pooping trainee plods! Of all the bloody luck, I had seen this in the dusty past, but they were on patrol bikes back then, with mother duck head trainer with little ducklings in tow. These days they come tearing up the hill in their cages, would all get out at the top car park and change seats before plunging down the other side of the hill with big smiles on their dials - well, at least someone was having fun over the hill that day

Wow, the Western Lake Rd is a lot bumpier now, the passages of time have not been kind. Once going around the lake itself, things start to smooth out - kind of. Turning left onto the East West Access road sees the road truly smooth out now, and all those fast sweepers following the river bends invite me to test out the suspension mods - it would be rude not to. Once at the surprise T intersection where many a sports bike rider has sampled the catch paddocks soft loamy delights as they overshoot the intersection. It was time to turn around and amble back to Upper Hutt to see my mate. There sure is a lot more traffic on the takkas now, most of them looked to be commuters.

Many a bug was sacrificed on the alter of Visordown this day

The next morning it is off to Masterton and beyond! Another beauty of a day, and this time the Rimutakas is plodless! I just chill enjoying the sublime tones of the thumping v-twin reverberating off the many rock faces, ahhhh bliss.
    Rolling into Masterton sees me visiting the trade aid store looking for unique gifts for my first born grandchild. I waited a looong time for this child, my son is now 30 and I honestly was beginning to wonder if I should be sending diagrams with illustrations of birds and bees getting busy! After seeing my Son, his wife and most gorgeous granddaughter in the World, it was of to see an old mate in Waitahora outside of Dannevirke. Another old stomping ground road, and I enjoyed introducing the RSV to the ever exciting Waitahora road! It was a great visit, and nice to see my old house and cottage again. Gearing up and thumbing the starter saw me realizing I had not put my earplugs in for my trip to the fine cuisine center in Dannevirke known as KFC - Bugga. Then I thought, ya know, wtf, I think this time, I will let the RSV serenade me the 25 km's into town - with the famous conductor, the esteemed Mr Akrapovic leading the orchestra. That is one sound track I will never tire from. After sampling Colonel Sanders finest, it was off to a bed n breakfast near Tikikino just as night fell. I was fairly tired, but the tingle excitement for the next and final day of this ride was growing.

Italian flair meets colonial design. The breakfast here at the Ashcott Homestead was bloody delicious!

Bucket List Road

Yet another beautiful day dawned, and it was time to cross a bucket list road off my list. Much to my shame, I had up to now, never done the Gentle Annie Road. Being 136 km's long, I felt it prudent to get gas for my big lunged thirsty beastie in Taradale. I then back tracked to the start of The Gentle Annie and started threading my way through some delightful valleys. There was at this point a fair bit of farm activity, so pace was set to allow for that. This road is freaking awesome, smooth and by VERY rural country road standards, is quite wide. The road then goes into forestry territory and gets into much more hilly terrain, the road is still easy and in great condition. The vistas and big sky outlooks are breathtaking. The road starts to open up again and now the scenery starts to change into the desert road style flora fauna. You can see right through many sections of corners, I LOVE this style of road, as it dances over ridge lines with no two directions of change being the same. About then a shadow passed over me , I looked up to see a helicopter trailing me, and he stayed doing that for 7 to 10 km's. I was not the only one out for a hoon this fine day! Expecting at least two micro stops, I was very surprised when I came upon the intersection at the end showing signs for either Taihape or Waioru. Seriously - that 136 km's felt more like 50 km's! I now have a favorite sports bike road in The Gentle Annie!

The rest of the ride home was along well worn roads I knew so well, I was in cruise mode and spent much time just enjoying the bike, and thankful I get to live in what I believe to be the final golden years of the combustion engined motorcycle. During the time of this ride, there was so much talk of gas prices being sky high. My approach was, don't look at the pump counting up, certainly do not look at the receipt. Because for rides like this, the numbers simply do not matter. What ever the price was - it was worth every darn last cent.

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    After reading MD's report and seeing his request for more motorcycle content within the forum (perish the thought) I thought I would do a report on my last weeks ride.
    After 16 years of riding ZXR750h1's on the road, I have moved over onto a thoroughly modern (cough, cough) 2004 Aprillia RSV1000R. My first Italian Motorcycle, and first V-Twin. The learning experience converting to the bike was much longer than I expected - perhaps a tale for another thread.
    The rest of the ride home was along well worn roads I knew so well, I was in cruise mode and spent much time just enjoying the bike, and thankful I get to live in what I believe to be the final golden years of the combustion engined motorcycle. During the time of this ride, there was so much talk of gas prices being sky high. My approach was, don't look at the pump counting up, certainly do not look at the receipt. Because for rides like this, the numbers simply do not matter. What ever the price was - it was worth every darn last cent.
    Morning,
    An excellent write-up. A trip enjoyed, and on many of my favourite roads as well. Well done.
    Cheers, Viking

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Hope that helicopter wasnt a police bird waiting for you to exceed the limit (80 is it now?)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Fantastic read mate, a worthy addition to these forums instead of the never ending political and social threads. Thanks very much.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Geez when you get near the top of gentle Annie taihape side you can go ape to the summit. But fantastic road in the dry. Dodge in the wet.

Nice bike, looks stunning.

I had a YZF750SP for many years so I know the feeling of many miles on a homologation special and love every minute.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Enjoyed the read

Owned the Tuono of the same gen... 155km and the reserve light came on was my final breaking point (after replacing several parts etc). Ownership was only 1-2 years, but ooh yeah, the whole frame vibrating underneath you as you rumbled out of a corner, such a visceral experience. Cramped position tho when over 6 foot, but it was certainly a box to tick...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking01 View Post
    Morning,
    An excellent write-up. A trip enjoyed, and on many of my favourite roads as well. Well done.
    Cheers, Viking
    Cheers mate

Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Hope that helicopter wasnt a police bird waiting for you to exceed the limit (80 is it now?)
    I did initially wonder, but decided that a copter out that far with one vehicle per 5 km's or less, would likely be deemed a waste of costly resources.

Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    Fantastic read mate, a worthy addition to these forums instead of the never ending political and social threads. Thanks very much.
    I dunno, my article on trumps turbo hayabusa was a doozy

Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Geez when you get near the top of gentle Annie taihape side you can go ape to the summit. But fantastic road in the dry. Dodge in the wet.

Nice bike, looks stunning.

I had a YZF750SP for many years so I know the feeling of many miles on a homologation special and love every minute.
    I raced your YZF750SP's forefather the OWO1 for a season, a great bike!

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Enjoyed the read

Owned the Tuono of the same gen... 155km and the reserve light came on was my final breaking point (after replacing several parts etc). Ownership was only 1-2 years, but ooh yeah, the whole frame vibrating underneath you as you rumbled out of a corner, such a visceral experience. Cramped position tho when over 6 foot, but it was certainly a box to tick...
    Yeah, I was talking to a similar year Tuono owner at a track day and said he rued the day he got a map that produced about the same gas consumption rate you mention. My RSV is thirsty, but mind numbingly, when I geared it down by one down on the front and two up on the rear it consistently uses less fuel now. Pre gear change, it always took 4 liters more than my wife's ZX6R, but now it is consistently only takes two litres more. Weird huh.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    Yeah, I was talking to a similar year Tuono owner at a track day and said he rued the day he got a map that produced about the same gas consumption rate you mention. My RSV is thirsty, but mind numbingly, when I geared it down by one down on the front and two up on the rear it consistently uses less fuel now. Pre gear change, it always took 4 liters more than my wife's ZX6R, but now it is consistently only takes two litres more. Weird huh.
    I had the Tuono on the BRM dyno with a PC3. It was lean down low and rich up top from memory, but I simply said to Brett I wanted the fuelling correct, didn't care about HP, just that it was running right. The fuel consumption of 155km before reserve was the worst on the road, it was sometimes better, but hey, it's a performance vtwin, and it's thirsty. I took it to the Aprilia track day, I think that was more like 100-110km before reserve, and there was an RSVR running a similar pace to me, we had fun out cornering newer bikes, but even 600s could match us down straights - I think the gearing was stock tho. Other than worrying you'll be walking for more gas, the sound... mmmm yes, the sound.

TM offered free selling today, found the original exhausts that had been cored (too loud), and another KB'er I know was selling the OEM Titanium racing ones (from an RSVR and like yours), so I fitted them instead. Not ridiculous, but not strangled either. I hadn't had sportbikes for more than a decade, but a previous boss had owned one I'd ridden for him, moving it between places, so it was an itch I needed to scratch. Then I was reminded how cramped it was... how I couldn't go down random roads and find out if they were sealed or not, and I never got on with the Ventura luggage, realised how much I liked Givi/OEM hard luggage... Traded it in on the 1090R when KTM put it on run out, haven't looked back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    What a top write-up mate. You must have some William Shakespeare blood running through your veins.

Pleased I laid down the challenge. Enjoyable and funny read. Those are some of our best roads for sure you covered. The road above Taumaranui always made me nervous because it begged for big speeds through some sections but I was always cop shy around there. Not my fault Officer, look at those perfectly engineered sweepers, it would be a crime not to show some appreciation. I spent years doing the reverse trip you did. I would ride up that way to visit my parents in Hamilton. Visit your folks at every chance people while you can, time is cruel.

The Gentle Annie!! Oh yeah, nirvana. I remember the sheer bliss of laying black lines out of so many of those fast sweepers. As you said it is such a buzz time seems to warp and you can't believe it when you reach the other side.

Hope you Mother is doing well and next time you come down drop me a pm. It would be nice to meet you over a coffee.

Mark
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Thanks for that fella - I enjoyed reading that. A Sportsbike doing what they are designed for - Well that and going around racetracks of course!

I saw a nice 1098 Duke in Motorazzi today when I dropped my V85 off. Ruddy lovely and reminded me of your story/write-up. I love my sports bikes but as you've mentioned the discomfort just gets to be too much for me now. Still, for that forts 30-45 minutes though...

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    What a top write-up mate. You must have some William Shakespeare blood running through your veins.

Hope you Mother is doing well and next time you come down drop me a pm. It would be nice to meet you over a coffee.

Mark
    Cheers mate. Your post has bought endless renewable energy to the poms, after shakespeare read your post the spinning in his grave now powers near all the UK
    I'll be sure to msg ahead and catch up for that coffee

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Thanks for that fella - I enjoyed reading that. A Sportsbike doing what they are designed for - Well that and going around racetracks of course!

I saw a nice 1098 Duke in Motorazzi today when I dropped my V85 off. Ruddy lovely and reminded me of your story/write-up. I love my sports bikes but as you've mentioned the discomfort just gets to be too much for me now. Still, for that forts 30-45 minutes though...
    Just do iiiit

Thank You all for the kind comments.

Bike
    Aprilia RSV Mille & Aprilia Tuono 660
    Cheers for the write up, I have a 2000 RSV and while my body constantly reminds me how uncomfortable it
    is, I just can’t give up the fun that it is to ride
    Better than drugs, supposedly
    Hell, it puts a smile on my face everytime.
    Just be careful in the wet, real easy to spin up the rear.
    RSV Mille: No madam, its an Aprilia, not a Harley. If it were a Harley, I would be pushing it !

Thread Information