Thread: Dominion Road Motorcycle Safety

Bike
    R1200RT LC

Dominion Road Motorcycle Safety

Interesting article in Stuff.

Well, I thought it was interesting.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/motoring/12819...rre-by-planner

Even the planner who objects admits it has some likelihood of benefit.

Bike
    Honda
    Seems like a good idea although it won't help someone driving a car with a phone in one hand and a latte in the other ramming you from behind but every little bit helps, what's up with the nay sayers against it?

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Morning Rastus,

This is the info on the AT site : https://at.govt.nz/projects-roadwork...-safety-trial/. The timeline has been affected, like everything, by recent events.

As a local to that area anything that makes drivers check the bus lane before turning right across it is a good thing. It might mean they check elsewhere when turning right across bus lanes...

Another issue with all of those intersections are drivers - both "professional" and private - who have no idea what cross-hatching means or choose to ignore it thus preventing either right turns into or out of streets.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Looks so clear on the animation but will be interesting to see how it looks when dropped in to the real world. Especially after the first removal truck has turned left and twatted the sign.

Would have thought hatching both lanes would have made sense?

Once again though, we seem to be removing the rider from the equation. You should know that if you are riding past stationary traffic someone will turn right through a gap, even if there is a flashing sign going off. Will still happen here so maybe the dude is right, the money could be better spent elsewhere. Clearly the sign will be activated by a bus as well even though it only shows cyclists and motorcyclists. Could be a bit of crying wolf unless bike numbers are really up there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	paice.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	411.8 KB 
ID:	350857  

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    The bit I found interesting is that the traffic planners solution seems to be the standard one of removing on street parking and not allowing right turns. Never mind that there are businesses and homes that people want to have access to.

It seems their utopia is roads where nobody stops, parks, or turns off, and they are funnelled as efficiently as possible to the traffic jam created by everyone being forced through a limited number of intersections.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    When I was wearing three stripes in a Blue suit I used to do time checking crash files that the troops had attended.

In Christchurch, on average 2 to 3 times every week a motorcyclist or a cyclist moving up the left side of a line of stationary vehicles was collected by a vehicle turning right through the gap left in that line.

It doesn't matter if yo are doing it legally or illegally, riding where someone can't see you is inherently dangerous.

I'm not saying don't do it, just saying be aware that people can't see you. Look for those gaps, and look for anyone turning through them.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    For $1.7million they’d be better off giving money straight to ambulance service.

Those signs will be lost in urban clutter and sub consciously ignored by the biggest risk group which will be the regular commuters on autopilot.

I used to regularly drive dominion with 12 pallets of booze deliveries couple decades ago. It was dam busy road back then must be pure hell now.
    Hate to say it but the only real solution is to voluntarily slow down at each high risk point....
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    1985 Honda CX500
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    For $1.7million they’d be better off giving money straight to ambulance service.

Those signs will be lost in urban clutter and sub consciously ignored by the biggest risk group which will be the regular commuters on autopilot.

I used to regularly drive dominion with 12 pallets of booze deliveries couple decades ago. It was dam busy road back then must be pure hell now.
    Hate to say it but the only real solution is to voluntarily slow down at each high risk point....
    It seems to be in the nature of people to take care of their lives. Whoever wants to slow down will do so. It is much easier for those who know the track and have been driving on it for a long time. But I reduce my speed on all dangerous sections. And I respect the road signs, even if I think they're pointless in some places.

Thread Information