Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transmission Gully cheesecutter grizzle thread

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Police would like to remind drivers to pay attention lol

https://i.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/...prove-it-works

Yes I see already posted about
    I bet the cop was shouting smoko after his or her "alert and distraction free driving" into the gravel trap !!?? FFS !

would have been in the jug book in the olden days .

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i see the gravel trap is now well marked with yellow paint similar to painted median

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    i see the gravel trap is now well marked with yellow paint similar to painted median
    it was well marked beforehand, and there will be a forty foot tall sign just before it too i'd expect

the old traffic cop cars were called black and whites, black with white front doors. The doors were a different colour so in a hurry they didn't run to the cars and jump in the wrong door I beleive

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if they practiced getting to the other side by sliding across the bonnet Dukes of Hazard style? Imagine only kinda getting half way and having to shuffle off?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2005 Z750S
    Drove both ways on it today.

DO NOT use it for a while, if you like your paint.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    it was well marked beforehand, and there will be a forty foot tall sign just before it too i'd expect

the old traffic cop cars were called black and whites, black with white front doors. The doors were a different colour so in a hurry they didn't run to the cars and jump in the wrong door I beleive
    there was a sign there runaway vehicle ramp or something like tht

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Some mates distant, wanted to ride it tomorrow. I'm going to Ekatahuna tomorrow instead. Have to go Monday but can't take the bike. Should I put a blanket over the bonnet?

Should I try to wank hard enough to cover the outside with conditioner?

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Should I try to wank hard enough to cover the outside with conditioner?
    If anyone can, I imagine you can.

Bike
    One with 2 wheels
    Sunday morning and I have just tried out the gully. Maybe it is just my bike but I found the road to be 25km of what I would call a micro cattle grate. My bike is a VRF800 so a touring bike mostly. I would rate the surface as 3/10. To complete my comparison I rode up to Peka Peka and the difference is significant. Riding back the road felt marginally better. A great piece of engineering just a shame about the surface. I did note on tv the other day that someone commented about the roughness of the surface and I tried not to let that opinion affect mine. Maybe I need to try a different grade of fork oil but for now I think I will stick to the old road.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Premature Accelerato View Post
    Sunday morning and I have just tried out the gully. Maybe it is just my bike but I found the road to be 25km of what I would call a micro cattle grate. My bike is a VRF800 so a touring bike mostly. I would rate the surface as 3/10. To complete my comparison I rode up to Peka Peka and the difference is significant. Riding back the road felt marginally better. A great piece of engineering just a shame about the surface. I did note on tv the other day that someone commented about the roughness of the surface and I tried not to let that opinion affect mine. Maybe I need to try a different grade of fork oil but for now I think I will stick to the old road.
    I went home via new road thursdy evening.Went on at Pauahatanui and went right throught to merge with SH59.From bout the whitby Off ramp through to the tawa off ramp was rough and uneven..Was Chipsealed and at the time that in itself was not an issue,but it was a rough ride .

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    It’s hard to get good help these days...

While it looks easy there’s a lot of technical know how that goes into producing a good surface. And you can’t just read about that or get a certificate in it. It’s on the job training and knowledge passed down while rolling a smoke leaning on shovel.
    We lost a lot of skilled people to old age, big $$$ across the ditch and the intrusion of osh etc...

On top of that spray a little diversity’s hireage about and it’s all buggered up.

A professional outfit locally buggered up a simple reseal on a major bypass road. Then the repair job was just as bad. So on attempt three they laid pure ashphalt before they lost even more money. And that would have hurt as lot more expensive than chip...
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Been back and forth in the car and again today on the bike. Still like it but sadly a lot of it is chip seal and stones are flying. Got a couple of piss-me-off hits on my new visor today and have now learned to stay WAY, WAY back from any vehicle in front. How did they not pick up with weeks and months of so called 'testing' that the seal chip was loose? I wouldn't describe the surface as corrugated or rough, certainly not a pool table finish though. Below average for sure.

Lets see how the heavily shaded sections cope with winter damp and ice.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    It was on the good
    Every chip sealed surface is going to have loose chips after the final roll. On any normal road they keep a low speed limit for a day or two so that traffic can continue the bedding in process but even then there will always be loose stones. Normally they will get flung into a paddock.

On this road they did not have traffic to finish the job so there was more loose chip for a start, and what there is gets flung 20m and still finds itself with its mates on the carriageway so gets flung again back the other way. And again. And again.

Chip seal is a cheap and shitty surface perfectly suited to New Zealand. Guess they went so far over budget that was all they could do rather than lay some sweet AC or even concrete. It will be the last PPP roading job done in NZ, now we just wait for the same Australian contractors to fuck up the Dunedin hospital build.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Just back from driving it both ways for work trip. Fortunately reverse direction to commuting peeps. So no cars or trucks to flick stones at me.

At least joining at Haywards it is great road. But you can see areas of seal that are looking worn already. Some looks mint, but some areas are going through.

Past Otaki and lots of vehicles sitting still on the new road. Probably having a meeting to ask themselves if the will have the same fuck up.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    I bet the cop was shouting smoko after his or her "alert and distraction free driving" into the gravel trap !!?? FFS !

would have been in the jug book in the olden days .
    Ah, the Jug Book, even them thar orificers wern't able to escape that old ledger, great days after a Jug "Night"that lasted all day.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Thread Information