Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Back on task.

People have defaulted to the Police when it comes to road safety. I used to work in Road Policing, now I work in road safety. There's a huge difference.

Road Policing involves a lot of things that doesn't have much relationship to road safety. For example, louts who do laps of the four aves in Chch are at little risk of crashing, but they piss people off, so people expect the Police to do something about it. Another example is the expectation of the courts that the Police will impound cars driven by people who are subject to a court order such as disqualification.

These things are important, but have little to do with road safety.

In addition, Road Policing staff are frequently seconded off to shore up holes in the thin blue line. Examples include being used as scene guards at crime scenes, and more recently MIQ roles.

Because Policing is a vast role, and road safety often falls victim to the non road safety things expected of the police. For example, the road policing breath testing, a very misunderstood topic, has taken a significant hit in numbers in recent years, as staff are directed to other priorities.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, perhaps it's timely to consider ring fencing some resources, painting the cars black and white, and going back to the days where traffic cops were traffic cops, and the Police did all the other stuff.

I'm the first to say that the old days weren't always good, given that we killed far more people per km travelled back then.

But a branch distinct from the current blue team is worth considering.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Back on task.

People have defaulted to the Police when it comes to road safety. I used to work in Road Policing, now I work in road safety. There's a huge difference.

Road Policing involves a lot of things that doesn't have much relationship to road safety. For example, louts who do laps of the four aves in Chch are at little risk of crashing, but they piss people off, so people expect the Police to do something about it. Another example is the expectation of the courts that the Police will impound cars driven by people who are subject to a court order such as disqualification.

In addition, Road Policing staff are frequently seconded off to shore up holes in the thin blue line. Examples include being used as scene guards at crime scenes, and more recently MIQ roles.

Because Policing is a vast role, and road safety often falls victim to the non road safety things expected of the police. For example, the road policing breath testing, a very misunderstood topic, has taken a significant hit in numbers in recent years, as staff are directed to other priorities.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, perhaps it's timely to consider ring fencing some resources, painting the cars black and white, and going back to the days where traffic cops were traffic cops, and the Police did all the other stuff.

I'm the first to say that the old days weren't always good, given that we killed far more people per km travelled back then.

100% with you on this Rastus!
    Lets hate on the TO's not our Police men and woman.
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Well, they are certainly coming down hard on bollards

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Back on task.

Well said Rastus. I agree 100%. IMHO the Police often the rough end of this particular stick as they are blamed for a whole bunch of factors which simply aren't down to them to own.

I've long held the belief that simply enforcing existing limits and road rules more effectively would go a very long way to helping bring the road toll down and making the roads a better and safer place to be. Sadly this involves extra resource and cost which few are willing to entertain...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    "easter" from oestrus "noun, a recurring period of sexual receptivity and fertility in many female mammals; heat. "a mare in oestrus" - so celebrating sex and birth. Symbolism of rabbits - "fuck like rabbits", chocolate because it's a well known aphrodisiac.
    The chocolate is a relatively recent addition. Then again any, excuse to eat chocolate eh?
    People in Europe used to paint hens eggs. Then there was Faberge...

https://www.faberge.com/the-world-of...-imperial-eggs
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Didn't they make Brut33 in the 80s?

Actually I'm aware it is still made. I bought some when we were laving the bikes at Milford sound. I covered the bike in a sheet and dosed it with chilli powder and emptied a can of Brut33 over it. Not sure if it worked but the bikes were Kea free when we returned.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Road policing has gone backwards compared to 10 or 15 years ago. You can blame the various road policing managers who have come and gone since the Fitz/Cliff/Griffiths days but to be honest as they are funded for road safety directly by NZTA you have to say that it is NZTA that have dropped the ball with their management of it.

I used to think road safety coordinators were a bit of a sideline add on to give out the warm fuzzies and embossed pens. I have finally come round to the conclusion that education is the only solution. The country is about to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on engineering a tiny proportion of the road network that even then won't stop fatal crashes when really that money should be targeted at 14 to 25 year olds with intensive and ongoing compulsory defensive driving courses and education about what happens when it goes wrong. IMHO.

I think everyone over 25 should be written off as set in their ways and we just concentrate on new drivers and make them jump through hoops to try and stop them fucking themselves and their friends up.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Road policing has gone backwards compared to 10 or 15 years ago. You can blame the various road policing managers who have come and gone since the Fitz/Cliff/Griffiths days but to be honest as they are funded for road safety directly by NZTA you have to say that it is NZTA that have dropped the ball with their management of it.
    It's possible that an ambitious politician will step up who decides that the solution is a seperate road traffic police force.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    It was on the good
    Nah, road safety is exaggerated. Shit happens generally due to stupidity and people die. The problem is there are too many people feeding from the road safety trough, like myself.

Apart from dealing with new drivers and giving them a proper grounding in the necessary skills I would move all the money from road safety to deal with mental health and suicide prevention and let Darwin take all the fuckwits. As a whole the country is pouring billions into a lost cause. Death on the road is inevitable. While it may be considered unacceptable to some that view point ignores a number of realities that are borne out at fatal crash sites around the country on a weekly basis. Accept that and we can move on and deal with it. Ignore it and you come up with crap like ghost chips.

Bike
    Honda
    Beat this one Christchurch!

Bike
    suzuki

so can you tell me why they don't use cameras to enforce the law?

If the front line used cameras to record an offence, then issue the ticket to the person then the evidence gained should mean the cop involved is now free to go back to policing instead of having to muck around appearing in court etc.

Is this the reason the cops can't be bothered policing much other than speed as with that they have an electronic back up and once the ticket is issued they have little or nothing to do with that offence, it's handled by other staff, courts etc

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    so can you tell me why they don't use cameras to enforce the law?
    The issue is Section 118 of the Land Transport Act 1998.

The registered owner of a vehicle is required to give details of the driver only in very specific circumstances. It's not as easy as everyone thinks.

https://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/...DLM435112.html

Bike
    Blog Entries
    To be honest that was a really good wheelie. You dont get to do near vertical without crossing the line from time to time.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    To be honest that was a really good wheelie. You dont get to do near vertical without crossing the line from time to time.
    Granted, not sure why he took his foot off the peg unless it was style points as it stopped his covering the brake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Thread Information