Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Herald Poll on lane hogs / mobile chicanes.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

2. People generally think driver education is a fabulous idea...…..for other people. Very few have seen the need to engage in driver training themselves. Because, of course, they are better than average.

3. When people do undertake driver training, they want to be shown advanced things like skid control, emergency braking etc. Nobody wants to spend $300 on a half day being told how to stop at stop signs, maintain a safe following distance, indicate at roundabouts, head check before changing lanes etc. Nobody places much importance on the basics.
    That's a very good point.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    The funny thing is that, the more training I've done, the more training I know that I need.

The more training I've done, the lower I'd rate my ability as a rider as I see more and more of my flaws.

I'm attending a gold Ride Forever course tomorrow. I'm sure that I will be going home with a whole bunch more things that I know I need to work on.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Yup, but it is a lot of fun. The last one we did was hilarious, far beyond anything I anticipated and I learned heaps.

We should really do another gold course, the 3rd eye always picks up something new to improve.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Just remember in regard to courses, its a perishable skill. You don't do a course and get a cert that "lasts" for a decade.

Improving your standard of riding or driving is a life long commitment, constantly analysing what you're doing etc, otherwise its easy to let bad habits creep in (just like the cat mentions, why focus on those silly things like stopping at stop signs, we want skid control! - when it's actually safer to avoid the skid in the first place)...

It's also those basics like head checks and safe following distances that prevent the incidents... how many times do you see on motorway patrol or similar, a person being interviewed, and their idea of what happened is something like: the car in front just suddenly stopped, I had nowhere to go! They are at fault! ... grrr
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I was working in road safety for a local council a couple of years back. We pitched some money into a research project looking into the attitudes of local drivers about road safety.
    2000 drivers were interviewed, and some of the things we learned are

1. People generally think they are better than average drivers. This is largely because they see the errors others are making, but are blind to their own shortcomings.

(High school maths tells me this isn't possible, it's not how averages work)

2. People generally think driver education is a fabulous idea...…..for other people. Very few have seen the need to engage in driver training themselves. Because, of course, they are better than average.

3. When people do undertake driver training, they want to be shown advanced things like skid control, emergency braking etc. Nobody wants to spend $300 on a half day being told how to stop at stop signs, maintain a safe following distance, indicate at roundabouts, head check before changing lanes etc. Nobody places much importance on the basics.

4. When you ask people about road safety issues, the biggest gripe is the dangerous state of the roads. Despite the fact that roads contribute to about 5% of crashes. As opposed to the 95% caused by drivers.

Optimism bias leads us all to believe that crashes will happen, but they won't happen to us. So we don't need to improve.

Sigh.
    Good points there Rastus. I'd not really considered your third point there about what sort of training it is that people want but now that you've mentioned it that does make sense.

I recently did another RE Gold course over in Nelson - They aren't my usual riding routes so the course was perhaps of more benefit and the slow speed stuff showed me that I need to practice that more often

Thread Information