Thread: New H-d Sportster Nightster

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

New H-d Sportster Nightster

https://www.autocar.co.nz/new-nights...s-dark-knight/

Looks rather nice - But over $25k before you add any of the myriad options...

Really? This is their 'Accessible' entry point bike now is it?

I think not.

Bike
    2011, Mikilon D7 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    https://www.autocar.co.nz/new-nights...s-dark-knight/

Looks rather nice - But over $25k before you add any of the myriad options...

Really? This is their 'Accessible' entry point bike now is it?

I think not.
    While the suspension travel is improved on the Sportster S's pathetic suspension travel. The New Nightser's 4.5 inches of front suspension travel and 3.0 inches rear will still be severely challenged on the average Kiwi Goat track. Especially carrying a Kiwi Biker who's the victim of a few too many Tui's and pork pies.
    Regards Kevin

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Jeez! They had an opportunity to be competitive with other machines and blew it! It has potential tho, but that is more money again...sub12l fuel tank? Other machines like the Ducati hyperstrada also with tiny tanks, are off the list of consideration for me for that reason alone.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Wouldn't want to put any of the options on as it's already 'low' weight of 221kg claimed. Cut at least 20kg off, pull the front rake in 5 degrees and reduce wheelbase 100mm. Then reposition the rider up a bit and get some decent suspension on it. Then it might handle like a motorcycle rather than a stuck pig (see what I did there).

Why is this so hard for the mercans? You could still have your doof-doof bike painted black with the HD logo but it wouldn't have to be quite so shit. The mercan car industry sort of got there.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2011, Mikilon D7 250

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    Jeez! They had an opportunity to be competitive with other machines and blew it! It has potential tho, but that is more money again...sub12l fuel tank? Other machines like the Ducati hyperstrada also with tiny tanks, are off the list of consideration for me for that reason alone.
    How much range are you looking for ? An 821 hyperstrada will do around 270 km on a tank. There's no place in NZ that's that far between petrol stations. My Ducati Scrambler 1100 has a 15L Tank and I've taken it over 280 km a number of times. And the 1100 is an old clunker compared with an 821.
    Regards Kevin

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinD View Post
    How much range are you looking for ? An 821 hyperstrada will do around 270 km on a tank. There's no place in NZ that's that far between petrol stations. My Ducati Scrambler 1100 has a 15L Tank and I've taken it over 280 km a number of times. And the 1100 is an old clunker compared with an 821.
    Oh, yeah, I see the later ones do have a larger tank. The one I researched only has a 12.4l tank and a conservative 20.8 km/l.
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    With my Sportster 48 I could often get 21 Km/Litre.

However, I suspect that was because I rode it conservatively and the fact that it is/was so relatively low revving.

Will the new one match this sort of consumption figure? I doubt it so range is an issue.

For what starts out as a really basic bike this seems like a lot of money to pay - Yes I get that it's an H-D and all that stands for but the older Sportsters were still reasonably accessible, especially the 883s. This just seems like they are having a bit of a laugh at buyers' expense. IMHO at any rate.

There's a rumoured 975cc Pan-Am on the way. That is something that'd capture my interest though price may well still be an issue judging by what they've done with this

Thread Information