Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Waka Kotahi - dont have a clue

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    For a start we should be open and discuss each fatal crash. Yeah, it hits the local paper for a couple of days or if it is a big one it might go national and then it's gone. Two or three years down the line the coroner may say something that piques the interest of the media but generally not. So no lessons learnt.

There are those genuinely sad incidents out there where someone makes an honest mistake or error of judgement leading to the inevitable - we could all learn from them. But then there are way too many out there where the driver is immune to all road safety messages, you know, half pissed, had a smoke, can't be arsed with the seat belt and doing 50 over the limit. That is why Road to Zero is nothing but happy clappy words not based in reality.

The lesson that should be taken from the latest advert is don't swerve for possums.
    It also ignores the number of drivers straight up dying due to a medical condition. You can't ever tune those out of road deaths. The meat puppet at the bars or behind the wheel inevitably fails because its not infallible. Aiming for perfect always generates a perfect failure to achieve the target.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I find the term meat puppet offensive . I don't like the implication something is controlling me.

I prefer Meatbag.

https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/252648-futurama
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    It also ignores the number of drivers straight up dying due to a medical condition. You can't ever tune those out of road deaths. The meat puppet at the bars or behind the wheel inevitably fails because its not infallible. Aiming for perfect always generates a perfect failure to achieve the target.
    That reminds me, although I've mentioned it before but it was a particularly dim statement by the police.

Clear road, fine weather, nice day. Two cars have a head on. Police say they are mystified. Both drivers are women, one in her late eighties the other one over ninety.
    But it's a mystery?

Perhaps it's not just the drivers who need more training.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    What most people are missing with the “road to zero” and “zero carbon” is the rest of the sentence that the elite and govts left out.
    What they really meant to say was zero deaths from private automobile transport, they can’t have the slaves driving themselves on and off the plantation.
    Zero emissions equal zero movements.... aka living in Japan style coffin apartment blocks in smart cities and walking or public transport to work.
    Hawkes bay will be destroyed economically if this goes ahead. And so will likes of Taranaki and the Far north towns if this goes ahead. We are already short on capacity and this will only further starve transport resources as drivers run out of hours with slower speed limits. Whether or not it’s by design or the peculiarity of our geography but most of tbectruck trips from out lying provincial towns and cities are only just in reach of return journeys of major hubs.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I guess the question is how many deaths are we okay with.

Bike
    It was on the good

And no need to get 350 of my friends and family around like the old TAIC advert, I am just trying to inject some reality into all of this based on our road network, our vehicle fleet, and what seems like pretty piss poor driver education.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    I think most people would agree that ideally there would be no deaths on the road. But with what we have currently (imperfect people in control) that really isn't possible, even if only for medical events. The stated goal however is to achieve zero road toll deaths by 2050. That will only happen with a huge shift from what we have today.

I get the argument though. I remember as a very green car salesman arguing the point with the owner of the company I worked for when he said 'everyone who comes on the yard is a customer'. I stated how this wasn't so, that we have regulars that are known tyre kickers etc. I'll never forget the look he gave me and I pondered that later that evening. It didn't take long for it to dawn on me he knew not every person was a buyer, but to treat them like they were. Doing that meant I had a greater chance of selling to them rather than dismissing the target as impossible before even trying.

However, in this instance while the aspiration is nice are we going to become more and more restricted? How far will we see things go until we get there? 30kmh open road speed limits? Continuous media barriers? Driver-less cars? A shift from driving being something to be enjoyed to merely a means of getting from a to b? Is it selfish to want to enjoy something even though the costs may be a few deaths? And if so where do we stop with that mind set? People die going on bush walks too. Do we stop those too?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    If there is a person or a group of people within W K who are pushing this unachievable target all it means is, (for them anyway) they have a job for as long as they want. People die no matter what they do, or even if they do nothing.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    A near miss from my trip north from Wairarapa yesterday. (Short version.)

There were two lanes for northbound traffic. A truck in the right of the two lanes indicated that he was turning off on a side road to the right. The guy behind him realising that he will have to stop, and not wanting the inconvenience, and without checking, swung on the wheel to change to the left lane. The lane that had four cars in it.

Maximum braking effort by all concerned - including the fuckwit. There were no colisions but there was very little space between any of the cars when they stopped.

One moment soporphic legal speed cruise. Nekminute...
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    If COVID is anything to go by, as many as it takes to get the tourism and hospitality sectors going again, both of whom failed completely to adapt to a change in circumstance over the last couple of years. Individuals are not important in an economy. All that matters is the bottom line and it is arguable that the positive economics of road deaths outweigh the savings, despite the rhetoric of how much cost the Government assigns to each road death. There are whole industries that have a positive benefit from road deaths.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    One moment soporphic legal speed cruise. Nekminute...
    Assuming this was in a passing lane if you were at the legal cruise speed? Allowing right turns from a passing lane is idiotic but there are loads of them about and there will never be the money to install median barrier or roundabouts to get rid of them. Reality again.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    If COVID is anything to go by, as many as it takes to get the tourism and hospitality sectors going again, both of whom failed completely to adapt to a change in circumstance over the last couple of years. Individuals are not important in an economy. All that matters is the bottom line and it is arguable that the positive economics of road deaths outweigh the savings, despite the rhetoric of how much cost the Government assigns to each road death. There are whole industries that have a positive benefits from road deaths.
    Not to mention the positive benefits to climate change. Less people, less pollution, less emissions.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Not quite Rastus - Most, if not all, of us are not 'OK' with a certain number of deaths. Despite NZTA's best efforts to reduce this to a simple question of 'How many people are you happy to have die?' this is far more wide-reaching that that.

This smacks of a 'You're with us or against us.' mentality which is, frankly, unhelpful and not constructive.

Stop stirring... You're enjoying this aren't you?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quite a lot....

About 35,000 people die every year in NZ from all causes be they natural, accidents or murder.
    Within that pool the road toll is almost statistically irrelevant at about one percent, and along with it covid. It’s a horrible thing to say out loud but it’s the facts.
    The forestry industry is still killing workers at an unacceptable Rate compared to other industries but we all want cheap timber to build our houses with.
    We’re killing our fittest and bravest men again in another world war over lines on a map....
    The road toll makes for great tv (watching an obese person die of some form of cancer doesn’t make for breaking news) and everyone can relate to it and engage in a conversation about it so it’s always going to be a popular issue that people think we can fix.
    But you can’t fix inattention/fatigue/incompetence without a massive restriction on free movement.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    Quite a lot....

About 35,000 people die every year in NZ from all causes be they natural, accidents or murder.
    Within that pool the road toll is almost statistically irrelevant at about one percent, and along with it covid. It’s a horrible thing to say out loud but it’s the facts.
    The forestry industry is still killing workers at an unacceptable Rate compared to other industries but we all want cheap timber to build our houses with.
    We’re killing our fittest and bravest men again in another world war over lines on a map....
    The road toll makes for great tv (watching an obese person die of some form of cancer doesn’t make for breaking news) and everyone can relate to it and engage in a conversation about it so it’s always going to be a popular issue that people think we can fix.
    But you can’t fix inattention/fatigue/incompetence without a massive restriction on free movement.
    But, but, you're making sense!

Thread Information