Thread: Bringing an XT600 back to life

Bike
    1991 XT600E

Bringing an XT600 back to life

I've inherited an XT600E that's been sitting in Dad's garage for 20 years, and I want to get it going again but don't know where to start.

So I'm looking for a to-do list. I want to do it myself, as Dad would have. I've got the manual and am reasonably practical, but I'm not a mechanic.

Any advice?

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    1: charge the battery

2: check tyres and oil

3: add fresh fuel

4: fire it up

5: ride

By the time you get back from #5 you will know what actually needs to be done.
    =mjc=

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So yeah as above, assuming it was going before and just left, I'd make an attempt to drain the fuel or at least syhon as much out with one of those squeeze syphon things, then have a look in the tank with a torch. Add fresh gas.

Check air filter hasn't disintegrated.

Check to see if it turns over. If it starts, yay. Maybe a spray of engine start spray.

If it doesn't start or just won't run right when off choke you will need to strip carb as old petrol can be a mess. Plenty of info on web, try YouTube.

Once going get it warm then change oil.

Brake fluid and new tyres/inner tubes for safety as they will be from last century.

Sorry to hear about your father, hopefully this will be therapeutic.

Seek help if you have to sort out tax. Ird are infuriating. Just trying to clear estate stuff myself for final tax returns.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by martyspida View Post
    I've inherited an XT600E that's been sitting in Dad's garage for 20 years, and I want to get it going again but don't know where to start.

So I'm looking for a to-do list. I want to do it myself, as Dad would have. I've got the manual and am reasonably practical, but I'm not a mechanic.

Any advice?
    first thing is to check it isn't stolen

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    In all seriousness the main problems you are likely to have are perished seals and seized parts.

So look out for leaks - engine output shaft, forks, fuel, brake lines and that sort of thing. Some of these will only become apparent after riding.

Seized parts - check the brakes. Make sure each piston is moving. You will know soon enough if you have a problem with clutch or gearbox
    =mjc=

Thread Information