Thread: Battery, Alternator, where to start? Bike won't start.

Bike
    Suzuki Volty 1996

Battery, Alternator, where to start? Bike won't start.

Hi guys, another newbie here, had my bike 3months now and been loving it, have been riding back and from work every day about 50ks round trip and haven't had any problems, but...over the last few days i noticed when starting it in the morning it didn't really sound like the battery was that strong but still started fine.
    Until yesterday when I went to start it after work. Neutral light was on full brightness and it stared turning over but then slowly started draining the battery.
    By chance and pure luck an AA roadside rescue car was parked near by having a break (what are the odds.) and the king gentleman came over and jumped started my bike and checked the battery volts. He said the battery seems fine but he also tightened up one of the terminals on the battery. He also didn't reckon it was a problem with the starter motor and so I thanked him then started to ride home but as i was getting off the motorway the bike started dying then fully died in the side of the road.
    I managed to get a jumpstart and rode for over an hour in an attempt to charge the battery.
    This morning I checked the bike and it'S COMPLETETLY dead. I checked for a date on the battery and its only just over a year old so im not sure what's going on and wouldn't have a clue where to start...
    Without taking into a shop and being a charged a small fortune is there anyway i can diagnose and try to fix what's going on?
    Bike is a 1996 Suzuki TU250X Volty and its my transport to work and back so im in a bit of a pickle.

Thanks advance for any help/guidance etc. I'm in West Auckland and not even too sure where i would take it in if that's what i need to do.

Cheers. Dave.

Bike
    Suzuki Volty 1996

Battery, Alternator, where to start? Bike won't start.

Hi guys, another newbie here, had my bike 3months now and been loving it, have been riding back and from work every day about 50ks round trip and haven't had any problems, but...over the last few days i noticed when starting it in the morning it didn't really sound like the battery was that strong but still started fine.
    Until yesterday when I went to start it after work. Neutral light was on full brightness and it stared turning over but then slowly started draining the battery.
    By chance and pure luck an AA roadside rescue car was parked near by having a break (what are the odds.) and the king gentleman came over and jumped started my bike and checked the battery volts. He said the battery seems fine but he also tightened up one of the terminals on the battery. He also didn't reckon it was a problem with the starter motor and so I thanked him then started to ride home but as i was getting off the motorway the bike started dying then fully died in the side of the road.
    I managed to get a jumpstart and rode for over an hour in an attempt to charge the battery.
    This morning I checked the bike and it'S COMPLETETLY dead. I checked for a date on the battery and its only just over a year old so im not sure what's going on and wouldn't have a clue where to start...
    Without taking into a shop and being a charged a small fortune is there anyway i can diagnose and try to fix what's going on?
    Bike is a 1996 Suzuki TU250X Volty and its my transport to work and back so im in a bit of a pickle.

Thanks advance for any help/guidance etc. I'm in West Auckland and not even too sure where i would take it in if that's what i need to do.

Cheers. Dave.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Do you have a volt-meter.

Measure battery voltage. Turn bike and headlight on but dont start it, leave a couple of minutes and measure battery voltage. Want to be seeing above 11.5V

Start bike and rev it to normal running - say 3k rpm - should be seeing about 13.5V at the battery, this is coming from the alternator / rectifier. You should also see this rise and fall with the revs

Lead acid batteries are sensitive to being pulled down to under half capacity. If they get that flat the battery may be damaged and either wont recharge or wont hold a charge. So if it has gone completely flat it may be no good even if reasonably new. Bike batteries are not 'Deep Cycle'

Plus if your Suzuki is anything like mine (DR-Z250) the battery is tiny, which seems to make it all the more vulnerable. Even a new battery does not seem to last very long with me.

If you can start the bike and the alternator/rectifier checks out, replacing the battery is an easy next step.

Good luck
    =mjc=

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave79 View Post

Cheers. Dave.
    have you got a workshop manual? that would be a good start

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Borrow or buy a volt meter. They are cheap if you look around and don't need a flash one too tell you what is going on. As above, but I'd start it and do that measurement first.

You should see well above 13 at idle and revving to about 3000rpm should rise to perhaps 14.5. No more. If it's more replace rectifier. If it's less than 13.5 likely the stator or maybe battery pulling it down. Come back for more tests.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    MT10SP
    Sounds like your battery is at the end of its life, or you have some current draw with the bike off (usually an accessory like ph charger not shutting down)

Most auto electricians will test the battery for free if there's a sale in it for them(should be fully charged to test correctly)

If you have a multimeter you can check the charge rate (sounds like it's good if it can be jump started then ride fine) and check for current draw with the engine and all accessories shut down.

Easiest test... with no test gear is ride it, turn off try to restart- if it starts good- disconnect the battery overnight, reconnect does it start fine again (better than normal) if yes you have something drawing current over night. if no it's probably the battery. not guaranteed but if you don't want to pay 1/2 hr to get it tested...

Bike
    Suzuki Volty 1996
    Hey guys, I charged and tested the battery out of the bike at a shop as I don't have any testing gear and it seemed to be fine.
    I put the battery back in the bike and hooked it up and before even starting the bike I noticed a faints burning smell like something melting (not what I was expecting..not good)and when I turned on the ignition there was smoke coming from the wires and when I looked the part which I think is the regulator/rectifier was dead hot.
    I took like it wouldn't be too hard to unbolt and replace that part if I can find a replacement part?

Or it could be the wiring?.Not sure where to go from here as I don't want to buy a new part if I'm not sure that's the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help advice as I'd love to get it sorted.

Cheers. Dave.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Take it to an auto electrician or a bike shop. Reg rec should not get that hot just like that. Smoke means damage to the wiring will need to be identified and fixed or it will do it again once reg replaced.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    An auto electrician will be able to diagnose and repair but it will cost you and you wont learn anything. If you want to know how and why, go to https://www.thegsresources.com/statorpapers.php Suzukis (especially the older ones) had shit electrics for years and this web link covers it all.

A cheap, but ok digital volt meter from SuperCheap will cost around $50 and will be more useful that you can imagine https://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/p/s...ze/560819.html
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Suzuki Volty 1996

Talking

Thanks Pete,
    I've just started reading that web link and I've learnt quite a bit already.
    I'd love to be able to diagnose and fix the problem myself as would save money and be a great feeling to have solved and fixed the bike and back riding.
    My bike is my transport to work and back so I've been sort of trying to rush getting it fixed and everything but when i slow down and start looking at what I might be able to sort myself it is quite a good buzz.
    I used to play around with the electrics in my old guitars etc but havent ever looked into anything to do with bikes etc but I'm always keen to learn (I just have to sort another ride to work.

I wonder if the charging unit is identical to gn250's as I've been told the engine is?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave79 View Post
    Thanks Pete,
    I've just started reading that web link and I've learnt quite a bit already.
    I'd love to be able to diagnose and fix the problem myself as would save money and be a great feeling to have solved and fixed the bike and back riding.
    My bike is my transport to work and back so I've been sort of trying to rush getting it fixed and everything but when i slow down and start looking at what I might be able to sort myself it is quite a good buzz.
    I used to play around with the electrics in my old guitars etc but havent ever looked into anything to do with bikes etc but I'm always keen to learn (I just have to sort another ride to work.

I wonder if the charging unit is identical to gn250's as I've been told the engine is?
    Probably. There are only so many ways a rotating magnet three phase alternator driven off the end of the crank can work. (basically one way). Automotive field controlled alternators (ie belt drive car type) where the magnet windings are switched off and on, only appear an a very limited number of bikes - some BMWs, maybe others.

As for getting to and from work - charge the battery every day until you get the problem sorted.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Suzuki Volty 1996
    I hooked up the recharged battery yesterday and there was a burning smell and when I turned the ignition on about to try to start the bike some smoke appeared from the wiring so I quickly disconnected the battery. So I can't even do the tests with a multimeter at this stage. I'm wondering if the Jumpstarts of the car battery has done some damage?
    Not sure how to proceed now as I'm unable to ride it even to a mechanic to get it checked out.
    I've been trying to locate the fuses but can only find one but on the cover it sais "spare fuse" I was thinking of seeing if repco sells these fuses so I can at least start with replacing that then see if it well let me at least connect the battery

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Make friends with someone who has a van or trailer. Once you have smoke it isn't going to get better.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    That sounds like a wire getting hot feeding a short.

Like F5-Dave says, once the Magic Smoke comes out you're stuffed.

You will need to sort that before you can go any further. You will have to can find which wire is getting hot and why

In my DR-Z the fuse is under a cover on the top side of the starter solenoid, yours may be similar.
    =mjc=

Thread Information