Thread: Wellington to AKL

Bike
    Pani

Wellington to AKL

Hey troops what the best single day ride North these days to A. avoid the old bill who seem to love impressing their overlords at the beehive and B have an enjoyable ride. Through the King country? Havent got time for a Gizzy detour unfortunately

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Here's a quick suggestion to get things started.

https://goo.gl/maps/CDieF4uxteAvET4T7

It's all pretty standard stuff for the most part, but bypasses Te Kuiti and Otorohanga for more interesting roads without unduly extending the total travel time.

Note that you'll need to view this in a Web browser. The Google Maps app on my phone removes the routing points that I added.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post

It's all pretty standard stuff for the most part, but bypasses Te Kuiti and Otorohanga for more interesting roads without unduly extending the total travel time.

Note that you'll need to view this in a Web browser. The Google Maps app on my phone removes the routing points that I added.
    you forgot the paekakariki hill road

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I prefer SH4, then turn off at Otorohanga onto 39. Much less traffic and cops that way.

I did the trip last Monday. Transmission Gully saves a lot of time, but the new surface is weird. It has a slightly rough feel to it, a bit like the wheel tracks on a metal road. Then when the motorway ends, be prepared for road works most of the way to Levin.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    you forgot the paekakariki hill road
    Good point. I normally ride Auckland to Masterton, so totally overlooked that.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    I prefer SH4, then turn off at Otorohanga onto 39. Much less traffic and cops that way.
    I did the trip last Monday. Transmission Gully saves a lot of time, but the new surface is weird. It has a slightly rough feel to it, a bit like the wheel tracks on a metal road. Then when the motorway ends, be prepared for road works most of the way to Levin.
    Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk
    Just for info's sake, last Saturday around 2pm, I did 52mins from Newlands to my place in Levin !
    ( at the speed limits too !)

Unheard of on a weekend xxxxx

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    1985 Honda CX500
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post

Oh, it's a familiar route! How long did it take you?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokitren View Post
    Oh, it's a familiar route! How long did it take you?
    It normally takes me about 8 hours of riding time from Masterton to Auckland via the shared part of that route. I've never ridden it directly from Wellington to Auckland, as my parents live in Masterton, and I'd stop over in Masterton if I were ever to find myself in Wellington for some reason or another.

I haven't found the Te Kuiti and Otorohanga bypasses to add more than 10-15 minutes to the trip, as it cuts out most the 50 km/h sections, particularly around Te Kuiti.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Thread Information