Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Akaroa GP faces new hazards

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    You poor deprived bastards...

I recently had chance to ride the Akaroa road. I suppose after the hell hole traffic that chch is (worse than Auckland I reckon) that this being the nearest bit of unstraight rural road is some kind of mirage of salvation. But just like a hot dry desert I was left thirsty for a decent road...
    I stopped at the first decent pub and had a handle of sleights gold to drown my sorrow.
    After so much talk I Was left disappointed as a netflicx subscriber.
    There should some damn awesome rides to Be had down south, this is not one I’d do twice
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    how many accidents are caused on windy roads by people constantly checking their speedos?
    There is a higher number of accidents occurring on straight roads ... because straight roads are safer to drive on.

Oh wait ....
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post

I recently had chance to ride the Akaroa road. I suppose after the hell hole traffic that chch is (worse than Auckland I reckon) that this being the nearest bit of unstraight rural road is some kind of mirage of salvation. But just like a hot dry desert I was left thirsty for a decent road...
    I stopped at the first decent pub and had a handle of sleights gold to drown my sorrow.
    There should some damn awesome rides to Be had down south, this is not one I’d do twice
    Hmmm. I was thinking the Akaroa road was good and for a bonus, Akaroa is a nice place to have fish and Chips by the sea. The Lewis pass is great - if the trucks haven't fucked it. SH6 from Greymouth to Wanaka is a fun coupla days. Maybe not in a truck though.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    The other thing I've experienced with the infinitely variable speed limits is that I'm wondering if the guy monstering me from behind in his Ford Ranger is just an arsehole, or I've lost track of what the last speed limit sign was that I saw and I'm pootling 20k below the current limit. At various times both have been the case.
    I used to drive Furniture trucks ... often not far off Max allowed weight. I've seen a few of those "Ford Ranger" types in the mirror.

And I've seen quite a few of them having to wait a while to be able to pass me (even unsafely).

Bugger eh .. !!!

Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    What the speed limit is used to be pretty simple, now driving on open road it might be 60,70,80 or 100 in various places, and you just have to hope you see the signs when driving over an alpine pass at night in the pissing rain.
    Depending on how well you know or remember the road ... can help. But often doesn't.

I went through Arthurs Pass at 1am in thick fog on a 1000 mile rally ride. On that road, in that shit, it fair does your head in.

Bike
    GSXR1000

How fast did ya ride it mister? I'm guessing not fast enough. It is known as the Akaroa GP, not the Akaroa Cruise. As a road itself it's nothing flash, but as a sprint road (as it was) on our back door it's a lot of fun. And as others have pointed, Akaroa is a nice destination.

Bike
    ZX14R, E=mc2
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    How fast did ya ride it mister? I'm guessing not fast enough. It is known as the Akaroa GP, not the Akaroa Cruise. As a road itself it's nothing flash, but as a sprint road (as it was) on our back door it's a lot of fun. And as others have pointed, Akaroa is a nice destination.
    The Selwyn GP is always a better ride. Starts at the Motukarara turn off. Forget Akaroa. Head to the Leeston bakery . Lovely food and no traffic before you get there. Inland route. Fanatastic ride. Plenty of scenery en route. Lot's of corners and interesting scenery.

Bike
    It was on the good
    There are no good roads down here. You stay where you are.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    So what is your next bike Stylo?

Just been on 2.5k ride with people up to 70. But bike choice is becoming a thing for them.

You sound like you enjoy it. Don't deprive yourself of a few years.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Good point. Don't want Sad Sack spreading his disappointment dissolutionment to the rest of the country.

Probably Jacindas fault..
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Too true ... it's a difficult decision deciding which road we're really going to hate riding ... again.

Bike
    The Griso
    So so so True,

Sometimes just pushing the beast out of the garage is to much effort for the day

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
    The Selwyn GP is always a better ride. Starts at the Motukarara turn off. Forget Akaroa. Head to the Leeston bakery . Lovely food and no traffic before you get there. Inland route. Fanatastic ride. Plenty of scenery en route. Lot's of corners and interesting scenery.
    I Know it well, it's not far from where I was born and it's just up the road from my mothers house.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    To quote Johnny Cash I’ve been every where.... about four times now and I’ll be back
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Reminds me get home sick.
    Everytime get on bike .have get back home chch.then always find my way around even post u
    Know what.cant ride port hills
    But got ride up old route.i was tail end charlie back n day.
    I vidly remember night motorcycle cop bmw chased are small club .passed me
    Draging cycliders it seemed at the time, brian on gsx 750 guy
    On cb 900 f heard engines screaming .away .i was on my
    Cb 400 n .
    Guy on xl 250 twin shocks was quick too.any ways after 30 years still miss the place

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Thread Information