Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Akaroa GP faces new hazards

Bike
    Exercycle

Akaroa GP faces new hazards

I see that new speed limits are going up on this road. 60kph over the hilltop as an example.
    I've no quibble with 50kph through Little River - and for sure there have been a lot of accidents on this road.
    But if we take this as an early outlier of the speed limit changes we've been promised, it doesn't look good.

So - when the days get longer and warmer and you feel like a fang to Akaroa, think carefully and be observant for new signs.

Bike
    DR650SE L4
    Here's some information on subject
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/ne...rch-and-akaroa

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    It always amuses me how we grizzle about how shitty drivers are in this country, then we grizzle about how the agencies want us all to slow down.

It's almost as if we are happy for shitty drivers to go faster.

I don't like the speed limit reductions, but they are almost inevitable, given the standards of driving in this country.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    80kph Halswell to Cooptown and 60kph over the hill. I spit on your societal constraints. I do what I want. Having said that I've been over maybe twice this summer: once early on when it was covered in gravel from the winter and once just before or just after christmas. The only part of it I enjoy is the right turn going up out of Cooptown, and the flat bends out of Tai Tapu.

Too many numpties to press on on that road now. It used to be if you pickedyour time you could have an unimpeded run at it but you've always had to be conscious of just how unforgiving it is if you fuck up.

Not related: I'd like to do more trackdays (not race): same thrills but no speed cameras and if you do fuck it all up you are less likely to die. Can any numpty hire Ruapuna?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    It always amuses me how we grizzle about how shitty drivers are in this country, then we grizzle about how the agencies want us all to slow down.

I don't like the speed limit reductions, but they are almost inevitable, given the standards of driving in this country.
    how many accidents are caused on windy roads by people constantly checking their speedos?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

But if you apply OSH approved risk analysis used in workplace it increases the danger.
    You plot incidents on a graph with two axis to give it a score.
    One axis is the risk on a particular road.
    Second axis is time spent on that road.
    If you spend more time on that road either through more use or lengthening your journey you increase your risk of a crash as you will be exposed to more oncoming motorists.

Just look at drag racing, 400mph and severe risks but it’s only for 4-6 seconds several times in a day vs say 8hrs of 100mph Bathurst v8 racing.

That’s all a bit tongue in cheek I admit. I think the variable speed limits as per ngairanga gorge and Kaimais is an acceptable car solution but we can’t keep having these sledgehammers reactionary 24/7 limits when the bulk of exposure risk is during certain times where basically traffic volumes and cabbage drivers create a defective lower limit anyway.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    how many accidents are caused on windy roads by people constantly checking their speedos?
    None. HTH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    It certainly adds to distracted driving.

The other thing I've experienced with the infinitely variable speed limits is that I'm wondering if the guy monstering me from behind in his Ford Ranger is just an arsehole, or I've lost track of what the last speed limit sign was that I saw and I'm pootling 20k below the current limit. At various times both have been the case.

What the speed limit is used to be pretty simple, now driving on open road it might be 60,70,80 or 100 in various places, and you just have to hope you see the signs when driving over an alpine pass at night in the pissing rain.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by neels View Post
    The other thing I've experienced with the infinitely variable speed limits is that I'm wondering if the guy monstering me from behind in his Ford Ranger is just an arsehole, or I've lost track of what the last speed limit sign was that I saw and I'm pootling 20k below the current limit. At various times both have been the case.
    Someone can correct me but the 2022 Rule that has just been signed does not appear to have the requirements for repeater signs in it like the old Rule - nearly lunch and can't be arsed reading it in full right now. Used to be that if not 50 or 100 you needed repeater signs every 2km (or whatever based on two minutes of travel time). I would suggest that all of these new speed limits between 50 and 100 will provide plenty of opportunities to defend a speed ticket for valid reasons.

Like you, I have driven past a speed limit sign and had to look at the back of it to see what the speed limit was in the section I was just in. It is only going to get worse.

The solution to this is to drop the national speed limit to 80km/h and require repeater signs on 100km/h roads. Can't see anyone with the balls to do that.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    with the new Sh1 (TG)now in use i have been over it two or three times .I dont recall seeig a speed limit sign ANYWHERE on it,maybe one as you first go on at Linden heading north. With it being quite steep in places there is more speed variation on that road than most other highways,except Ngauraunga gorge. trouble is one is 27 km long and the ohter is maybe 2 km

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Someone can correct me but the 2022 Rule that has just been signed does not appear to have the requirements for repeater signs in it like the old Rule - nearly lunch and can't be arsed reading it in full right now.
    This is an interesting one, and I believe you're correct. New regulation 2022 comes into effect 19th May, removing 2017.

2017 Setting of speed limits: https://nzta.govt.nz/assets/resource...imits-2017.pdf
    2022 Setting of speed limits: https://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/reso...imits-2022.pdf

Repeaters are listed in 2017 in section 9.2 (Signs and markings), and Schedule 1 lists the maximum road length. For 2022, Signs are now Section 8 and roads are now referred to with minimum road length.

2022 Section 8.2.(2) does say
    When installing speed limit signs,a road controlling authority must have regard to the Agency’s guidance on maximum lengths between speed limit signs.
    No idea where that is...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    1994 VFR750F, 2006 XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by nzspokes View Post
    None. HTH.
    For sure, but what about looking at their phones?
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post

Repeaters are listed in 2017 in section 9.2 (Signs and markings), and Schedule 1 lists the maximum road length. For 2022, Signs are now Section 8 and roads are now referred to with minimum road length.

2022 Section 8.2.(2) does say

No idea where that is...
    it used to be for 80kmh they had to be every 2.6 km and for 70 2.3km, got off more than one ticket by carrying the correct paperwork and pointing it out to the law.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    No idea where that is...
    Given the exodus of NZTA people who knew shit I imagine it is not anywhere. Yet. I am sure they will slip in an addendum to the Speed Management Guide or the TCD Rule to cover it off. Until then the "Agency's guidance" will continue to be in the 2017 Rule.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    All that stuff about signage.... pertains to what the RCA must or should do. I don’t think that in itself would be enough for a judge to dismissing a speed ticket.
    A major part of your problem would be the whole defence based on not enough signs. As to claim that you are not committing an offence as you thought limit was higher is a defacto admission of your speed. And once you “confess” to exceeding limit you really have no defence.
    Although we had a bunch thrown out in the bay as the council left a 70k temp limit up so long it wasn’t temporary anymore that’s a bit different.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Thread Information