Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Akaroa GP faces new hazards

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    See page 5 and 6 - https://www.nzta.govt.nz/asset...1/d...section-02.pdf

That is interesting as I have wondered whether the 100 or derestricted is preferred. RG-2 is 100, RG-2.1 is derestricted.

"RG-2 signs are preferred and should be installed in situations where the alignment and nature of the road in the vicinity of the sign generally permits safe travel speeds of 100 km/h. Where this is not possible RG-2.1 signs may be used."

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi View Post
    Interesting read, thanks for the link.

For the RG-1 sign [any speed from 10 to 90] there is provision for a road marking to be used. Despite a driver's or rider's best efforts it is always possible to miss a speed change, indicated by a sign placed on the side[s] of the road, so why are so few also indicated by a road marking? You are less likely to miss a road marking than a sign on the side of the road.

It's common overseas, so why so few here?

I expect the answer is cost...
    Agreed. I missed more than one 60 or 80 sign at the start of a reduced speed limit zone during a recent tour of the South Island. One could have been very embarrassing, as I went past a subsequent 60 a little faster than that!

I did realise later that the chances of seeing a police car were actually very remote, except in the McKenzie country.

Bike
    It was on the good
    It's common overseas, so why so few here?
    The sign is say $400 installed and should last 15 years. Factor in current traffic management requirements and the need to repaint a road marking every year or so and it will cost many times more than a sign.

Best off using oversize signs and putting them on both sides of the road if you really want people to see the speed limit change and comply with it.

Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    That is interesting as I have wondered whether the 100 or derestricted is preferred. RG-2 is 100, RG-2.1 is derestricted.

"RG-2 signs are preferred and should be installed in situations where the alignment and nature of the road in the vicinity of the sign generally permits safe travel speeds of 100 km/h. Where this is not possible RG-2.1 signs may be used."
    I wonder how many RG2.1 signs have been made in the last few years, they seem pretty rare on my travels. There are plenty of roads out there "where the alignment and nature of the road in the vicinity of the sign generally" does not "permit safe travel speeds of 100 km/h" that now have RG2 signs installed.

There is possibly a research project there for someone looking at the impact of the change in that one sign. Has using numerals instead of the black stripe made the speed limit more of a target and resulted in more crashes? I imagine I could massage the numbers to show that it has.

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    The sign is say $400 installed and should last 15 years. Factor in current traffic management requirements and the need to repaint a road marking every year or so and it will cost many times more than a sign.

Best off using oversize signs and putting them on both sides of the road if you really want people to see the speed limit change and comply with it.
    Thank you. Guessed it would be a cost issue, interesting to hear what signs cost as opposed to road markings. Explains why more oversize signs are seen.

So, do road markings have to be repainted on a regular timeframe or when they need it?

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post

There is a requirement for signs on both sides of the road above a certain traffic volume. But why not do it anyway? I suspect I missed at least one sign because I was overtaking.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    my gps has a speed sign at the bottom, it goes orange when you exceed it and i think red when over by a fair bit. that's what i use to drive with mostly, but some of the data loaded means the signs aren't always in the right places. Odd as it also registers road works which are in real time, and road closures
    Yep, Garmin maps had them when I tested years ago, and most were incorrect.
    The NZ Open GPS map project (Garmin compatible) isn't able through restrictions in the mapping tools, to implement speed advisories.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    It was on the good
    So, do road markings have to be repainted on a regular timeframe or when they need it?
    Would depend on the contract. A performance based contract would say they need doing whenever they need doing which can be quite subjective so the contractor will push it out as far as possible while the RCA will always want it done sooner. The alternative is an annual remark, or whatever specified period for an area or a road, which means some markings will get redone before they actually need it and others might not get done when they do need it. Pros and cons for each.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Something else which I've seen elsewhere are warning signs for a lower speed limit coming up. Similar to the distance warning signs for a Give Way with 300m, 200m and so on. Years ago when riding around Scotland these seemed to be very popular and are a really good idea. Some used a number for the distance whilst others used the 3 lines, 2 lines and so on as found on the motorways when approaching a junction.

Particularly when you're on a bendy road where new limits could be, quite literally, just around the corner these were of particular use.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Yep, Garmin maps had them when I tested years ago, and most were incorrect.
    The NZ Open GPS map project (Garmin compatible) isn't able through restrictions in the mapping tools, to implement speed advisories.
    my partners a cartographer and at her last company she would update stuff while we were travelling, but it doesn't seem a priority to get them bang on, odd, if you put in a speed limit it's just as easy to put it in the right place, they are getting better at it, but it's still not a quick process.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    I've been looking at the thread heading "Akaroa GP " and wondering if any of the older riders on here remember the Rimutaka GP's of old ????
    I started fanging over there in the mid to late 60's ! I have lots of old fart meme 's of riding that road..

and will always remember from as early as 1968 .
    I was on my trusty YDS3 waiting for a mate at Te Marua on a early Sunday morning. We were heading to a Sprint at the Loopline in the Rapa.....
    I heard a beaut noise and thought whats that? Flying by was Mel Wrigley on one of the first Triumph Tridents, you know the original green ones. Always remember that ! What a beaut sound.

The Hutt Valley bred some really good racers in the 1970's and I think the Tukas were probably partly responsible for improving riders....
    The Kaitoki's were a good warm up before the hill as well.....I can even remember a couple of TZ's being unloaded on a Sunday morning once !!!!!!! ridden over to Featherston and back !!

as you were : lol.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I still have not ridden over the Rimutakas. My last drive was in a rental Camy hybrid, which took understeer to a new level!

Bike
    It was on the good
    Used to fang it over the hill to Martinborough every weekend in the late 90's on an FZR600. Having a heavy bag of parachute gear hanging off a Ventura pack made the handling somewhat lively.

They must have ruined it by now with a sub 180km/h speed limit and yellow lines down the middle.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    I've been looking at the thread heading "Akaroa GP " and wondering if any of the older riders on here remember the Rimutaka GP's of old ????
    I started fanging over there in the mid to late 60's ! I have lots of old fart meme 's of riding that road..

and will always remember from as early as 1968 .
    I was on my trusty YDS3 waiting for a mate at Te Marua on a early Sunday morning. We were heading to a Sprint at the Loopline in the Rapa.....
    I heard a beaut noise and thought whats that? Flying by was Mel Wrigley on one of the first Triumph Tridents, you know the original green ones. Always remember that ! What a beaut sound.

The Hutt Valley bred some really good racers in the 1970's and I think the Tukas were probably partly responsible for improving riders....
    The Kaitoki's were a good warm up before the hill as well.....I can even remember a couple of TZ's being unloaded on a Sunday morning once !!!!!!! ridden over to Featherston and back !!

as you were : lol.
    I am younger than you and my days of the Remutaka GP were in the early to mid 80's - I left Wellington in 1988. One memory I have is thinking I was going quick over the hill one day when I was passed by a silver blur. Didnt see who it was or what he was riding. I was later told it was one of the Hiscock brothers "running in" a new Katana before it got turned into a racebike. Not sure if true. Good lesson though: there's always someone better than you - unless you're Freddie Spencer. I had the same lesson at Ruapuna on a trackday a few years ago when I was flat out at the end of the back straight and was passed by Dennis Charlett on one side and Ryan Hampton on the other going at least 60kph faster than me.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    I am younger than you and my days of the Remutaka GP were in the early to mid 80's - I left Wellington in 1988. One memory I have is thinking I was going quick over the hill one day when I was passed by a silver blur. Didnt see who it was or what he was riding. I was later told it was one of the Hiscock brothers "running in" a new Katana before it got turned into a racebike. Not sure if true. Good lesson though: there's always someone better than you - unless you're Freddie Spencer. I had the same lesson at Ruapuna on a trackday a few years ago when I was flat out at the end of the back straight and was passed by Dennis Charlett on one side and Ryan Hampton on the other going at least 60kph faster than me.
    It is likely true, the Hiscock brothers were well known fans of the takas.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    It is likely true, the Hiscock brothers were well known fans of the takas.
    The stories are endless from those maniac days, from an old man 's memories the Hill was ten miles bridge to bridge. 4 one side and 6 the other....
    You basically used the whole road from cliff to fence ! How we survived , I shake my head !! lol.
    (i'm glad I stopped going over there about ten years ago,far too old to be doing that stuff).

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Thread Information