Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Akaroa GP faces new hazards

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    The stories are endless from those maniac days, from an old man 's memories the Hill was ten miles bridge to bridge. 4 one side and 6 the other....
    You basically used the whole road from cliff to fence ! How we survived , I shake my head !! lol.
    (i'm glad I stopped going over there about ten years ago,far too old to be doing that stuff).
    there's still riders doing that, thinking they are Kenny Rodgers. They think everyone in cars is switched onto their drive just as sharply as them too, not hungover as fuck returning the kids to the ex's place with them arguing with each other in the back seat etc.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I was trying to lace together a witty post using Kenny Roger songs, but I don't really know any, although I think the Gambler is one. That would have been useful.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I had a couple of guys out on a Bronze yesterday, we were riding from Lyttelton through to Governors Bay.

I was watching the mirrors (as always) and saw an unfamiliar sight coming from behind us.

We got overtaken by a Harley Pan America.

As I sit here this morning pondering the dent in my ego from being overtaken by a Harley, I must say, that bike carved the corners really well.

We were at the speed limit, the Pan was doing a bit more, the guy was riding really fluently.

Might pop into Rolling Thunder at some stage, my resistance is thawing.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    While I'll never sell the GSXR I'm looking at the complete opposite end of the market for my next fix, got my eye on a new KTM Duke 390. Lots of fun without the risk of losing ones license in 1st gear. And after watching some of my exploits on the aforementioned road in some video's I found the other night I really think it's a wise move.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    While I'll never sell the GSXR I'm looking at the complete opposite end of the market for my next fix, got my eye on a new KTM Duke 390. Lots of fun without the risk of losing ones license in 1st gear. And after watching some of my exploits on the aforementioned road in some video's I found the other night I really think it's a wise move.
    Adapting the controls will be interesting. Again. For sure, it's more fun to ride a less powerful bike faster, than to ride a more powerful bike slower.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    there's still riders doing that, thinking they are Kenny Rodgers.
    Cheers Spyda, I was careful not to mention any stopwatch times to cover the "Hill". That would for sure encourage any would be Kenny Rodgers', to above and beyond sillyness !!!

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post
    Adapting the controls will be interesting. Again. For sure, it's more fun to ride a less powerful bike faster, than to ride a more powerful bike slower.
    Yeah this one will not be as easy to convert as the GSXR, fly-by-wire throttle means I can't easily swap out the throttle assembly for a smaller unit to accommodate the clutch perch, then there's the indicators, hi/lo and horn to consider as well. And then the TFT screens menu controls, but they are not required for use when riding so access is not so important. I want to use this bike for more day to day riding, the thou isn't exactly motivating me to commute in the city more.

And then there's the reward of riding a slow bike fast over that off riding a fast bike slow.
    Last edited by onearmedbandit; 23rd May 2022 at 17:19.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    I had a couple of guys out on a Bronze yesterday, we were riding from Lyttelton through to Governors Bay.

I was watching the mirrors (as always) and saw an unfamiliar sight coming from behind us.

We got overtaken by a Harley Pan America.

As I sit here this morning pondering the dent in my ego from being overtaken by a Harley, I must say, that bike carved the corners really well.

We were at the speed limit, the Pan was doing a bit more, the guy was riding really fluently.

Might pop into Rolling Thunder at some stage, my resistance is thawing.
    Ooh... Do let us know what you think if you swing your leg over one of those. My dealer (Filco's in Nelson - not had good experiences there in the past) puts me off actively chasing one of these but I'm very curious as to the reality of what they are like.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Cheers Spyda, I was careful not to mention any stopwatch times to cover the "Hill". That would for sure encourage any would be Kenny Rodgers', to above and beyond sillyness !!!

Kenny Rogers? Suggesting the ride over the hill is a gamble? That you have to know when to walk away or know when to run? Maybe you were thinking of Kenny Roberts :-)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Backing up a few posts to the discussion on speed limit signs, I rode up the Thames coast at the weekend. Anyone familiar with the road will have some idea how many speed restrictions there are, and almost all had unrestricted signs where the restrictions ended. In most cases, it probably wasn't a great idea to accelerate straight to 100.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Backing up a few posts to the discussion on speed limit signs, I rode up the Thames coast at the weekend. Anyone familiar with the road will have some idea how many speed restrictions there are, and almost all had unrestricted signs where the restrictions ended. In most cases, it probably wasn't a great idea to accelerate straight to 100.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    I used to drive up there a couple of times a year, once you get past Kaiaua going north it did get quite stop/go. And they've had a year or two to add more since.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    suzuki
    I only put one lap record in my book covering 157 road racing circuits, the ammunition track which is long gone, didn't want to be blamed for people trying to better them....
    shows you my social responsibility

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Kenny Rogers? Suggesting the ride over the hill is a gamble? That you have to know when to walk away or know when to run? Maybe you were thinking of Kenny Roberts :-)
    hook line and sinker

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    I used to drive up there a couple of times a year, once you get past Kaiaua going north it did get quite stop/go. And they've had a year or two to add more since.
    Kaiaua is on the western side of the firth, Thames is on the eastern (Coromandel) side...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    GSX-R400, DL650, Hondazuki TF 100
    Funny how many folk always manage to see the signs which allow them to go faster, but fail to see the ones that tell them to go slower, then grizzle about it.
    Well, given you mention it, seems to happen to me.

"This guys closing a bit quick, did he just pass and give me the stink eye, what a dick..."

...get to next speed sign...

"oooh, my bad".

/disappears to lurk for a few more years...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    ...and stuff the laws of physics; whats the worst that could happen???

Thread Information