Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: David Seymour

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries

David Seymour

So what is he?
    The political messiah New Zealand politics sorely needs?
    Or maybe a twerk in progress who will dominate in future years?
    Perhaps a standard pollie willing to prostitute any values to get more votes?

I could not help thinking his "alternate" budget release was a pretty good publicity lark that he will never have to back up

Thoughts?

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    We already have an ACT thread.....

Any party in opposition has luxury of a Wishlist budget but let’s not forget labour’s fails in actually budgeted stuff like kiwi build cnd child poverty etc....

I had a chance encounter with David in a shop in Waikato. He struck me as a genuine people person who was actually interested in listening to my random opinion and replied with thought rather than random safe party promo stuff.
    Often people in that position are too busy to listen to random strangers.

He’s tiny like a race horse jockey tiny but not afraid to speak up about a few home truths in this country. He’s young and plenty of time to mature into an even stronger leader with act or someone else.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post
    We already have an ACT thread.....
    This is a David Seymour thread. Surely there is more to him than just his act role?

Any party in opposition has luxury of a Wishlist budget but let’s not forget labour’s fails in actually budgeted stuff like kiwi build cnd child poverty etc....
    Lest we forget, but this is a David Seymour thread

I had a chance encounter with David in a shop in Waikato. He struck me as a genuine people person who was actually interested in listening to my random opinion and replied with thought rather than random safe party promo stuff.
    Often people in that position are too busy to listen to random strangers.
    I picked up on these traits while watching him on nz dancing with the kinda stars. He seems like a good bloke, I'm just not sure of his political policies.

He’s tiny like a race horse jockey tiny but not afraid to speak up about a few home truths in this country. He’s young and plenty of time to mature into an even stronger leader with act or someone else.
    You think he might change wakas in the future?

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    This was immediately pointed out by the other pollies, they're a minority party so can say what they like and will never have to deliver on it, the best they can hope for is a couple of scraps in return for going into coalition.

Has been said before, David would get more votes if he stuck the H on his forehead.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I'm sure that those who read my other posts know what I think of the man (It's option one btw.)

But I thought I'd share a few things of interest:

He's an Electrical Engineer by trade. So not a Politician, a Manager or a Lawyer (which is what makes up most of the Pollies) - I'll let everyone read into that as much or as little as they like.

He's read some of James Lindsays works.

He's consistently stood on points of principle (and IMO been subsequently vindicated).

And perhaps most telling of all...

He takes the time to reply with well articulated responses when I send him an Email (and given all here should know my ability to write screeds of text....)

So yeah. Top man, I like him, I hope you like him too, if not - freedom of choice and all that.

Edit:

Something to add - when he did his tour and I got to hear his lecture and chat with him, there are a coupe of policies where I could see the line of logic, but I and the crowd challenged him on. So it's not like I agree with him on everything - there is minutia and nuance that I disagree with - but on the broad strokes of what he stands for, completely agree.

Also - the other ACT MPs that I've met have all been absolutely top notch too.
    Last edited by TheDemonLord; 13th May 2022 at 19:12. Reason: Additional info
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    It was on the good
    I'd tap it.

Bike
    Indian Scout
    I always pay attention to him when in the News and generally I'm impressed with the honesty and logic of his views so he's obviously struck a cord. He seems to have that rare talent to view contentious issues with pragmatic logic and reasoning by removing emotional knee jerk reactions. He focuses on the problem not the personalities. Unlike the other parties (primarily the Maori Party) that instantly label anything or person they don't agree with as a racist. They throw that label around like it's an instant 'win an argument card'? Wrong. Facts, fairness, equality for all, truth and logic override political correctness and woke minority prejudices.

Unfortunately I liked what I was hearing from him before the last election so I looked into their Act Political manifesto and was gutted to discover it has some ideas I could not stomach.

I agree with his budget idea to get rid of departments that are only focused on helping one demographic. If we want to get to a truly equal society there cannot be laws or behaviours that favour and disfavour one sector over another.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Lots of politicians are. They are chasing power in Parliament to compensate for their lack of physical stature.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    raptor 1000
    rimmer or mrs ed, i pick rimmer

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    ACT profess to be Libertarians. They are anti any welfare. They wouldn't give a shit if people were starving.

DS bought a bunch of ACT MPs into Parliament with him last time. Have you ever heard a peep out of any of them? Dunno about you but I couldn't name a single one. He's got them on a tight rein. If they got to speak out people would realise how loopy ACT is.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    ACT profess to be Libertarians. They are anti any welfare. They wouldn't give a shit if people were starving.
    This is the uncharitable interpretation. What David Seymour is against is people being stuck on Welfare, which is a real problem: "intergenerational welfare dependency". That is what he's attempting to target.

And I'll be honest - the last email I sent to him, feedback from the tour was critical of one of these policies because I felt it wouldn't produce the desired result, even though I agreed with the problem that was being addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    DS bought a bunch of ACT MPs into Parliament with him last time. Have you ever heard a peep out of any of them? Dunno about you but I couldn't name a single one. He's got them on a tight rein. If they got to speak out people would realise how loopy ACT is.
    Nicole McKee and Chris Baillie....

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Unfortunately I liked what I was hearing from him before the last election so I looked into their Act Political manifesto and was gutted to discover it has some ideas I could not stomach
    What specifically, if you don't mind my asking?

Bike
    husaberg
    Rimmers a total smeg heads

Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    This is the uncharitable interpretation. What David Seymour is against is people being stuck on Welfare, which is a real problem: "intergenerational welfare dependency". That is what he's attempting to target.
    Trying to break this cycle. Educate the youngest generation in the benefits of NOT following what their parents did. However what do you do with the previous generations while getting the new one sorted - starve them while suggesting to the kids that they can avoid this fate? Out with the old, in with the new. Sounds a bit like Maos Great Leap Forward. Great role model for DS and Act.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Waka jumping... well he’s young and we’ve seen plenty of change in political scenery over years. Just like normal people changing jobs as we mature skills and opinions change
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Thread Information