Thread: Obnoxious theory

Bike
    Honda

Obnoxious theory

I have just spent almost 3k upgrading my muffler/A wise investment for my ego.

However I do ponder the psychology theory on when and who will be reving these mufflers to there extreme.

I understand young people want to be noticed in the world, are putting there hand up to be seen so under 25 gets a pass.

30s, perhaps your still holding onto your youth and need to let go , you are not allowed to be obnoxious.

40s: well this is just embarrassing, you embarrass me as well as yourself.

Over 55, you get a pass because you have seen enough crap in this world and can do what you want.

As for me in my 40s , my new muffler will scream on motorways, industrial areas but I will show some class and respect in neighborhoods and keep the window shaking, alarm triggering, obnoxious reving down.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016
    In theory there is no difference between pratice and theory......but in practice there is.

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    My bike came with a "$6,000 exhaust system." It was obnoxiously loud, popped and farted on the over run and hunted dramatically while at idle.

On checking the company's webside they offered a choice of two inserts to lower the noise level. Because I was going to be living close to a hospital for a bit I chose the quieter option. Now, it's almost too quiet and I wouldn't mind the louder option.

In favour of an after market exhaust for this bike: the standard system goes from a three into one into two, with the two heavy mufflers mounted high on the bike, to a three into one, and a low mounted carbon fibre can.

Against: some bikes can't learn a new system, they will need a new chip, or a Power Commander, or similar. Fortunately the Triumph can learn new tricks ('the fifteen minute tune up') and those potentially expensive mods aren't required.

Anyhoo, you pays your money and you makes your choice.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post
    My bike came with a "$6,000 exhaust system." It was obnoxiously loud, popped and farted on the over run and hunted dramatically while at idle.

On checking the company's webside they offered a choice of two inserts to lower the noise level. Because I was going to be living close to a hospital for a bit I chose the quieter option. Now, it's almost too quiet and I wouldn't mind the louder option.

In favour of an after market exhaust for this bike: the standard system goes from a three into one into two, with the two heavy mufflers mounted high on the bike, to a three into one, and a low mounted carbon fibre can.

Against: some bikes can't learn a new system, they will need a new chip, or a Power Commander, or similar. Fortunately the Triumph can learn new tricks ('the fifteen minute tune up') and those potentially expensive mods aren't required.

My Monster 1100 isn't dramatically loud but it does do the things you mention. It is getting looked at hopefully next week to rectify those matters. If it doesn't fix it I will pay for some dyno time - if that doesnt fix it I will look for a Termignoni system so it can be flashed. Its a 2013-4 so I dont think it will be adaptive. Dyno time for a custom map might be a useful investment anyway.

I loathe loud pipes particularly on Harleys. My better half and I were in the car behind a fucktard on one with the big handlebars and a "look at me" straight pipe. Patched up dickhead. He nails it off the line and she says "For all the noise that's making you'd think it would be going faster". A better description I couldnt think of myself.
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Its a 2013-4 so I dont think it will be adaptive. Dyno time for a custom map might be a useful investment anyway.
    My Monster S4R needed a new chip if you bought the full system. The Termignoni cans alone didn't require that.

The Triumph is 2009. If the Monster has an oxygen sensor it may be able to learn new tricks.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    KTM530EXC
    I'm going to make some baffles for the bike I recently bought. I'm 60. I'm over the noise.
    "May all your traffic lights be green and none of your curves have oncoming semis in them." Rocky, American Biker.
    "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 18th C.

Bike
    R1200RT LC
    I see theres a market for patches saying "Loud Pipes Save Lives".

I'm going to look into producing "Not Riding Like A Dick Saves Lives" patch.

Anyone want to place an order?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pritch View Post

I put a low pipe on my 2011 675 for the same weight up high reason. And then spent several hours on the dyno with a af meter and a PC to reflash the ecu. I think you hot a bit lucky there. I never got the 0-15% at 4-5000 quite right but it was a minor inconvenience at speeds I rarely encountered.

Actually version one was too loud so we fitted a primary muffler which helped and still produced a reasonable increase over stock.

On my 765 the fueling was so good despite being euro5 I'm keeping the (fortunately under) stock pipe.

You could of course take out the baffle and strategically shorten or open it.

My old 1050 Tiger was so quiet it was ridiculous. I gave it to cycleworks and said make it like a stock 1990s bike. The design was a large can that was mostly empty with 3 Chambers connected with small pipes. We drilled a couple of holes to short cct some of the gas. It really made sod all difference.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Quote Originally Posted by rastuscat View Post

Will it have a picture of a dick on it?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

Yes please

I've found in recent years that Euro 4 and 5 compliant bikes sound good on the stock systems - The only bike of mine that isn't stock is my DR650 to which I fitted a Cycleworks muffler. With the DB killer inserted it passed the WOF with no issues and sounds rather tasty. Pops nicely on the overrun too

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    You want loud pipes?

Here's some REALLY loud pipes.
    =mjc=

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike

Get funding and everyone gets one free with their rego.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    It was on the good
    Looking Like A Dick Saves Lives patch.
    AKA hi-viz.

Thread Information