Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flip front helmets - Recommendations needed

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650

Flip front helmets - Recommendations needed

Morning All

I'm thinking of replacing my Shoei Neotec flip-front at some point in the near future. I'd like another flip-front as they are really handy for getting in and out of camps/bases when arriving at the security gates. In addition I'd like to purchase some new comms so that I can communicate with my wife when we're out and about.

Polite recommendations wanted please.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Recomended checking the Sharp site to see what rating they make. Traditionally they were pretty grim. Maybe they've got better. Weight and a fault line seem like a heck of a compromise for a couple of seconds to remove a helmet. Pay at pump avoids this, you need to take off at a cafe go eat, and mask any shop.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2022 Honda CB500X, CBR150RS F4 Bucket
    I've got a Schuberth E1 Adventure which I'm really happy with (E1 is Schuberth C3 with a peak added). Quiet, well made, good ventilation, comes with a Pinlock insert and reasonably light. There is a dedicated comms system available that fully integrates into the helmet too. Cheers.
    https://www.schuberth.com/en/product...ts/c3-pro.html
    Sometimes you wish it was easier, but if it was, everyone else would do it, then you remember you don't want to be like everybody else!

Bike
    '08 Wee
    I have a caberg tourmax, it probably isn't quite up to the standard of a shoei. At the time I chose it as it fit well, was a 5 star sharp rating and had the features I needed (a bit one being internal sun visor, necessary for commuting). It was a bit cheaper than most of the other 5-star flip fronts, which helped while I was still a student. The big thing I lost out on was vents and noise. I ride with earplugs so the noise wasn't an issue (and is a general issue with flip fronts as you will be familiar with), but it does get hot in there. It didn't have the strongest chin bar in the sharp testing, and I don't know if it is still a 5-star helmet (I think the rescale their testing over time). But if you are aware of those limitations, I would be happy to recommend it to others.

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Thanks all - I'm fairly well versed in the for and against of flip-fronts. I own the Neotec that and a Shoei GT-Air which gets used at home in Blenheim. Both are good and the extra weight and wind noise of the flip-front isn't an issue for me. Not having to take it off at security gates and being able to wear it as I go to and from the office make them a really good idea for me.

I owned a Schuberth some years ago and found that it exerted a lot of pressure on my temple area - This despite it feeling fine when I tried it on for 2 minutes in the shop at the time of purchase. I've also owned Cabergs in the past and found them to be good too, if a little noisier than the Shoeis I currently use.

I'll stop by TSS in Lower Hutt on my way back from work today and see what they have.

Bike
    2014 BMW R1200LC
    Quote Originally Posted by rambaldi View Post
    I have a caberg tourmax, it probably isn't quite up to the standard of a shoei. At the time I chose it as it fit well, was a 5 star sharp rating and had the features I needed (a bit one being internal sun visor, necessary for commuting). It was a bit cheaper than most of the other 5-star flip fronts, which helped while I was still a student. The big thing I lost out on was vents and noise. I ride with earplugs so the noise wasn't an issue (and is a general issue with flip fronts as you will be familiar with), but it does get hot in there. It didn't have the strongest chin bar in the sharp testing, and I don't know if it is still a 5-star helmet (I think the rescale their testing over time). But if you are aware of those limitations, I would be happy to recommend it to others.
    Me to. A bit noisy but with the little rubber chin guard on its not too bad.

I've never owned a quiet helmet and I've had some of the dearer brands in the past.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I've had a few, several Multitec, then moved onto the Nolan N104 (x2, crashed in one), now on a N100-5 and also have a Xlite X1004 Ultra Carbon.

I like the elliptical motion of the Nolan, it tucks the front closer to the shell, it's also dual P/J homologated. Reasonably quiet, but I always wear ear plugs. Because it's designed for n-Com, it has a hollow at the rear of the helmet for things like batteries (plus grooves for cabling and pockets for speakers). It suits modular comms like SMH10R better than pinch clamp, because the Nolans have a wide plastic lip around the base of the helmet, so you'll only pinch clamp if you dremel a slot for it. I use a light smoke main visor and the internal sun visor, and it's motion is pretty easy to use (two different mechanisms for down and up). Really good visor port visibility. I don't use pinlocks so can't comment on that. The front can also be locked in the up position.

The X1004 I haven't been quite as happy with (arguably the "premium" version of Nolan). It's noisier, the visor port doesn't seal as well so invariably lets water in. The internal sun visor has one mechanism, I don't find it as easy to use. Being carbon fibre it is noticeably lighter, which is nice on longer trips. It doesn't have the wide plastic lip, so you can pinch mount. It has a nicer internal padding, including a zip off neck piece that makes it more snug (both putting on, but also insulation when cold).

Both use the ratcheting method of helmet strap, rather than D rings. Both have good 2 part mechanisms for opening the front, pull out the bottom with thumb, then pinch with forefinger to thumb on a piece that comes out. Both have metal parts in hinges, latches etc. The Nolan has a more positive clunk when locked, the Xlite has padding that sort of interferes with the shut, which means you need to make more certain with a tug, that it's actually locked into position.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    noise is the big problem here.A quiet helmet for one is noisy for another.Its a problem i had with my last/ bike helmet and led me to stop riding altogether.I will therefore always tet ride a helmet if i can.

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Being able to flip the front with one hand is an advantage.

I has an early BMW that needed thumbs both sides of the jaw to unlock.

Meant you had to put everything down to open it.

It was also noisy, and it leaked along the split in the rain.

I gave it away the end
    =mjc=

Bike
    Its yellow. Sometimes a green one
    Blog Entries

German

Have you thought about a Schuberth?
    Yes they are hard to get.
    Yes you will probably have to preorder it and wait.

BUT.... Will it be worth it?

ummm yea actually, Its the quietest helmet on the market...

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, sharp rates the Schuberth C4 pro at 4 out of 5 stars that isn't to shabby. Better than the rest of thier helmets which range from pretty average to poor.

Does have a comment, with a lock symbol :
    93% , percentage of impacts where the face guard remained fully locked.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    Morning All

I'm thinking of replacing my Shoei Neotec flip-front at some point in the near future. I'd like another flip-front as they are really handy for getting in and out of camps/bases when arriving at the security gates. In addition I'd like to purchase some new comms so that I can communicate with my wife when we're out and about.

Polite recommendations wanted please.
    Did you decide on one?

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    GSX-S1000GT/DR 650
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    Did you decide on one?

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    Not yet - Will be looking to buy early in the new year. I spotted a Caberg the other day in TSS down in Lower Hutt which seemed to fit well and was a decent price too.

There's no huge rush and replacing my leaking textile trousers has been more of a priority

Bike
    Rocket 111 Touring (2010)
    I have a Caberg and very impressed with its quality, plus it's pretty quiet for a flip front. Have you chwcked the helmet reviews on www.webbikeworld.com?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Bike
    a 400 and a 650 :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Boy View Post
    ...spotted a Caberg the other day in TSS down in Lower Hutt which seemed to fit well and was a decent price too...
    Had a Caberg Duke but have gone back to Nolan because Nolan use a small and a large helmet shell whereas Caberg only use one and I found the Caberg not as compact as the Nolan. The Caberg felt a size too big though it was the correct size, just the shell size gave that feeling.

Thread Information