Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coil rewinding

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    The inductance is related to the number of turns but there's likely a thousand on a charge coil with, I dunno, 0.3mm wire.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Erotic running? How many turns of wire turns you on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I'd buy the wore from Aliexpress and do it myself.
    Goes with the mail order wores Drew was mentioning earlier....
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Ok so we're going for coma. Pictures to follow.

Its taken 2 hours to strip the windings down to former. It was tedious and boring and I was starting to feel my hourly rate slipping. . . Well, below that of a lawyer. We'll see if I get down to Accountant's charge out rate or plumbers or shelf stacker by the time I'm done trying to match $570.

A can of motor and coil winding urethene is sub $30 and Bryce had a roll of enamel wire he used to do an H1 back in the Jurassic period. It turned out to be a match exactly.

So, count the coils off? Ha, yer pulling my leg. Must be 2000. Wire is 0.13mm so like hair. And varnished, but even after picking through epoxy and tape cover I could never get it go unwind. I was hammering a small screwdriver into the windings to try grab bits to pull strips off. Dremel cutting wheel just fused the wire together.

I was down to the very last layer until I was even confident of which way the bobbin was wound!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Pics before & mid way. Seems so simple just looking at the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beta Stator 1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	536.3 KB 
ID:	351097   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Beta Stator 2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	553.9 KB 
ID:	351098  

Bike
    XS
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Pics before & mid way. Seems so simple just looking at the pictures.
    yep diy good shit, usually proves simple is easy,
    so second off, f*ck nz rewinds, (although picking it was some smarmy pimply millenial wanker quoting pricing with the woke 2020's university agenda of acceptance that ripping off c*nts is the proper way now to maximise profits to increase standings for induction into corporate advancement to ensure the ability to procure several
    large properties on the beach front at "the barrier" along with regular free helicopter rides from albany to "the backyard pad") New 50 million volt Dynacoils are probably in the same pricing league now but any coil from the wreckers will do the trick and btw exact impedence is over-rated, any f*cking thing works fine..

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Ok so this is the bike in question. Also a side project to reduce the clutch pull as it is a bit excessive apparently so I copied a design to reduce the spring preload by 2mm. I only did 3 springs as a halfway house.

Cleaned up plates as the clutch has a tiny actuation span and this is supposed to help. The basket has no ridges but the plate fingers are rough so they grab & smoothing the side is supposed to be magic. We'll see.

Name:	Rev3.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	427.7 KB 
ID:	351120   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clutch unpreload.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	351121  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    OK next step for stator.

Made a jig to turn it. Unfortunately this took an hour. Hopefully the winding bit won't be so long. Decided not to start it as I want to terminate the tail & my soldering irons are a bit big. Will borrow one from work.

Decided that the wire was really 0.1mm which is what I have, hopefully enough.

Needed a roll holder & a comfortable seat. Who says I don't use my Stinger?

Yes yes, should clean the lathe more often, but I'd just made the spacers.

Name:	Stator jig.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	351122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winding Station.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	424.5 KB 
ID:	351123  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    So what could go wrong? Well the soldering iron I borrowed was a dud I ended up using my bush monster one. I found this was hard to get enamel off & a good join, it took a while.

Then on to winding.

I broke the wire 3 times in first few seconds. This was frustrating. I learnt to use one hand to keep the roll of wire central so it didn't bounce around snag the wire on its sides.

It took about 45min of actual winding. I could have turned it up faster but it was hard enough to control the wire to get a good even coverage across the coil and not snag it.

I was getting close to the original measurement when there was a vibration in the roll & is went loose. Waaa, after all this time. Oh. I've run out of wire. 31mm vs 33 std. Kind of close but if hte wire is same dia then it will have less turns unless I have wound it tighter.

I measured resistance. Should be 400-450ohms. 451. Well that's worth a try. i didn't borrow the LCR as I didn't have inductance measurements for std anyway.

I covered it in spray urethane and cloth tape with some epoxy. I'll try it tonight all going well.

I'm up to 4.5 hrs so far. I'd probably cut that down to 2.5 for the next one as the jig built and the wire removal could be more brutal now I know that there is a long way to cut down to the bobbin.

Name:	Terminated.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	249.1 KB 
ID:	351131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	epoxy.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	351132  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I'm going online to buy a decent soldering iron. My heavy duty ones suck.

So put it together. Few kicks. Nothing. Pull plug and check for spark. Nothing. Despair.

Best check connections, had hung wires out side to test. Main plug had disconnected probably as I struggled with another. Hope.

Sparks!

Plug in first kick. Ba-ring-ding-ding etc. Yes it's revving better!

Didn't have the gear lever on and shouldn't annoy the neighborhood too much at kids bedtime so a test ride will have to wait.

Bit so far, so encouraging.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    That was quick. No research, Google found a temp controlled station with plenty of tips on Tardme for $66. Buy.

Bike
    husaberg
    That was quick. No research, Google found a temp controlled station with plenty of tips on Tardme for $66. Buy.
    if you rewind say 2 a week you will be able to get your per unit price down

The quickest way to get to a bare core is likely to unwind it on your fixture. only at high speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    I reminder distinctly .

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    86.249 93.398 00.944
    Yes, you need it.

Nice work, it's just a coil of wire, as long as you don't cut through the enamel and short it out it will work.

As you've learned, enamel wire takes a bit of scraping back to get it to stick, if you want to make sure of it get a high temp soldering iron and high temp solder. Rebuilding starter motors teaches you this.
    Riding cheap crappy old bikes badly since 1987

Tagorama maps: Transalpers map first 100 tags..................Map of tags 101-200......................Latest map, tag # 201-->

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    if you rewind say 2 a week you will be able to get your per unit price down

The quickest way to get to a bare core is likely to unwind it on your fixture. only at high speed.
    No it certainly isn't. With coil varnish, or thinned epoxy or whatever it was I could not rewind a single turn until I was at the forma itself. Coils with thick windings are a different beast.

Let's say I spent 5 hours including the termination to the loom, but not removal from the bike that still puts me at $114 per hour. In the hand. I could half that next time by not having to build the jig or pansy around hoping not to damage the forma that I didn't know how small it was.

I read an article years ago about some crowd that just burn the windings off and presumably plasti-dip the formas.

Bike
    Enough that the car lives outside now.
    No it certainly isn't. With coil varnish, or thinned epoxy or whatever it was I could not rewind a single turn until I was at the forma itself. Coils with thick windings are a different beast.

Let's say I spent 5 hours including the termination to the loom, but not removal from the bike that still puts me at $114 per hour. In the hand. I could half that next time by not having to build the jig or pansy around hoping not to damage the forma that I didn't know how small it was.

I read an article years ago about some crowd that just burn the windings off and presumably plasti-dip the formas.
    Small coil rewinds in Gelong have done a lot of work on bikes . Assuming you ewant to farm it out again and not use the nw found knowledge.,....

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Freaky. In the last two days I've seen to examples of the coil rewinding machines.
    So bloody simple, it's just a counter and an expanding drum type doofer.

Thread Information