Thread: Issue with Oxford Hot Grips. Defaults to hottest setting

Bike
    ST4s-V11 Cafe Sport

Issue with Oxford Hot Grips. Defaults to hottest setting

The hot grips on my ST4s have started to play up. Admittedly they are quite old.

For some reason when they are turned on they sit at the coldest setting as they are supposed for a couple of seconds then switch themselves to the hottest setting.
    Easiest answer is buy a new set and be done with it. I read somewhere that poor wiring connections could cause issues but everything seems ok.

Just putting it out there in case there is a fix that doesn't require stumping up $180 for a new set.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    My guess is that it's the heat controller. You can buy them separately, so potentially, it'd be around $80 to replace it.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/3744658676

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    2022 Honda CB500X, CBR150RS F4 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse1 View Post
    The hot grips on my ST4s have started to play up. Admittedly they are quite old.

For some reason when they are turned on they sit at the coldest setting as they are supposed for a couple of seconds then switch themselves to the hottest setting.
    Easiest answer is buy a new set and be done with it. I read somewhere that poor wiring connections could cause issues but everything seems ok.

Just putting it out there in case there is a fix that doesn't require stumping up $180 for a new set.
    I have an Oxford Hot Grips controller you can have for the cost of the courier. New/unused. I put the grips on my Hyperstrada but wired them into the factory wiring with integrated controller. Worked a treat and way cheaper than the factory items which were quoted around $800 from memory. PM me if you're interested. Cheers.
    Sometimes you wish it was easier, but if it was, everyone else would do it, then you remember you don't want to be like everybody else!

Bike
    Blandit 1200, DRZ250 K, Beta xtrainer
    Hi Timg, if course1 does not want them, I am keen. Just PM me.

Bike
    suzuki

get a heated jacket, then you don't have to bother changing grips from bike to bike, less clothes to wear as you don't need to bulk up etc.

Bike
    ST4s-V11 Cafe Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    get a heated jacket, then you don't have to bother changing grips from bike to bike, less clothes to wear as you don't need to bulk up etc.
    I have heard that a heated body takes away the need to heat your hands. tried to get my head around it as I have never needed to bulk up in winter under a jacket to keep warm. I don't even really need a liner in my pants. I am one of guys who can wear shorts on a frosty morning no problem. My hands seem to be the worst affected by cold. My fingertips can turn white from circulation issues sitting at my work desk in winter.

I have thought of adventure style handguards as well to add another level of protection from the elements.

Bike
    suzuki
    I have heard that a heated body takes away the need to heat your hands. tried to get my head around it as I have never needed to bulk up in winter under a jacket to keep warm. I don't even really need a liner in my pants. I am one of guys who can wear shorts on a frosty morning no problem. My hands seem to be the worst affected by cold. My fingertips can turn white from circulation issues sitting at my work desk in winter.

I have thought of adventure style handguards as well to add another level of protection from the elements.
    other way around, when your body cools it needs to maintain core temperature to survive so limits the amount of blood to fingers and toes, which are mini radiators and have the ability to suck the heat from your body. Warm the core and you get a steady supply of warm blood to you fingers and toes. Heated grips only heat your hands and a tiny bit of your blood, they are a feel good thing rather than doing good overall. you'd be amazed at how much clearer your head is when riding once switching on a heated jacket, but the best thing is they are a small vest and warm on their own, but once on they do the job of several layers limiting the need for many items to be worn.
    I've got different bikes so can jump from one to another whereas grips can't etc.

Bike
    ST4s-V11 Cafe Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    other way around, when your body cools it needs to maintain core temperature to survive so limits the amount of blood to fingers and toes, which are mini radiators and have the ability to suck the heat from your body. Warm the core and you get a steady supply of warm blood to you fingers and toes. Heated grips only heat your hands and a tiny bit of your blood, they are a feel good thing rather than doing good overall. you'd be amazed at how much clearer your head is when riding once switching on a heated jacket, but the best thing is they are a small vest and warm on their own, but once on they do the job of several layers limiting the need for many items to be worn.
    I've got different bikes so can jump from one to another whereas grips can't etc.
    Yes that sounds like what I had heard so worth investigating.
    Thanks,

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Another thing I dont like about heated grips is the inside of the hand gets hot to the point of sweaty (which introduces its own set of problems when trying to get gloves off without pulling the liner out) yet the back of hands is exposed and cold, esp fingertips. I have adventure guards on the KLR, and heated gloves. Very nice.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Autumn.

The amount of times I set off in sports gloves because my hands would sweat in heavy gloves on a nice day, but get to the hill and it gets chill. Then back over the hill as the sun gets down in the shaded area of sh2 for those of us that go further than upper hutt. Click click. Warm.

Considered heated gloves, but above convenience dictates grips. Commuting would be different.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Thread Information