Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So, Cost of Living increases

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Fun times ahead ; "Second, deep human history warns us that when climate patterns did change significantly, the result was societal collapse, war, epidemics, and fundamental restructurings of the geography and structures of human communities."

https://origins.osu.edu/article/clim...tent_entity=en
    You mean all those times that happened in Nature and nothing to do with Human Activity, yes?
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    You mean all those times that happened in Nature and nothing to do with Human Activity, yes?
    Yes if you like. Why it happened is one thing, but it did happen and regardless of cause, the results were not pretty. That is not to say that human activity does not have a bearing on it, it does whether you want to deny it or not, the end result will be the same, and the science, again whether you agree or not, shows that human activity is accelerating the effect. But I'm almost 70 so not a lot of time left to "enjoy" the results. You however admit to bring in your 30s so another 40-50 years to find out who was right.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Yes if you like. Why it happened is one thing, but it did happen and regardless of cause, the results were not pretty. That is not to say that human activity does not have a bearing on it, it does whether you want to deny it or not, the end result will be the same, and the science, again whether you agree or not, shows that human activity is accelerating the effect. But I'm almost 70 so not a lot of time left to "enjoy" the results. You however admit to bring in your 30s so another 40-50 years to find out who was right.
    Why it happened is perhaps the most important thing.

I've said elsewhere that as a general rule, I'm not opposed to voluntary environmental actions - more efficient appliances, using less plastics, recycling more etc. I'm opposed to Government mandated environmentalism - but that's different. Things like the clean up Oceans project - I actually support, because it's a clever way to deal to a problem. Whereas things like Carbon Credits are just a massive Scam that I want no part of, they are just a repackaged version of the Catholic Indulgences.

My Issue is the 'End is Nigh' rhetoric. I've lived through Environmental scares and I've read the history of the claims going back to the 50s, there are numerous examples of apocalyptic predictions being made that in the maturation of time - have been false. So I'm skeptical.

Is it Man-Made or is it Natural? Our reference point for determining that is so tiny compared to the time frames of the planet that it would be laughable. Not to mention the starting point for accurate weather data was called 'The mini Ice age'. So again, I'm skeptical.

On the flip-side the proposed solutions to this are so radical that they are worse than the problem itself. Not to mention the anti-Humanist element of the extreme Environmental wing, not to mention strong political leanings that I fundamentally don't agree with. I'm even more skeptical.

Not only that, but consider the cost that we are paying now to prop up these 'Green initiatives', Tax payer money to fund inefficient industry and making Rich people Richer - and not just the Dollar value cost, there are a myriad of knock-on effects - for example, linking back to this thread, In the UK, nearly 25% of energy prices are taxes specifically to pay for 'Green' industries.

I use quotation marks because some of them aren't as green as they would want us to believe them to be.

Finally, we have a number of methods to potentially mitigate a disastrous weather event - case in point the revival and lessons learned from the Dust Bowl of the 1930s

TL;DR - everything has a cost and some costs are not worth the price.

Bike
    Honda
    I blame Geoffrey Palmer

His one year as Prime Minister ruined my happy childhood.

Bike
    It was on the good
    And his five daughters no doubt.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy 4eva! View Post
    I blame Geoffrey Palmer

His one year as Prime Minister ruined my happy childhood.
    haha the current one pisses me off and I'm old !!!!!
    I was in DPS but sure as hell wouldn't be protecting her nowdays !!!

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Why it happened is perhaps the most important thing.
    I disagree - the "why" is important only if steps are taken to stop doing the same thing again. The "what resulted" seems more important.
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, yet expecting a different result".
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I disagree - the "why" is important only if steps are taken to stop doing the same thing again. The "what resulted" seems more important.
    "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over, yet expecting a different result".
    But what if the steps that are proposed to be taken are predicated on the wrong 'Why'?

To use a Medical analogy - if a Doctor suggested that cutting your leg off was the only way to stop you from dying, you might question it a little, depending.

If you had gone to that same Doctor for different Ailments, and each time their response was 'I think we need to Amputate your Leg', you might start to wonder whether or not they are trying to justify amputating your leg.

It could be that you absolutely need to amputate your leg, it could also be that like all the other times, you'll be fine.

Hence the Why is critically important when we are talking about radically altering just about every facet of modern society.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    This dude does some interesting sciencey stuff tracing our faultlunes etc....

However in this video he’s kind enough at the 5min mark to slip in a graph that goes back 800,000 years. All his science mates will be very unhappy. It show some MAJOR climates cycles before man and industry and if you look closely the million year trend is slightly warming.
    He also slips in we are due for cooling in anouther several thousand years.

But the “forecast” is for our current level of increase to be irreversible and the steepness of the spike doesn’t not match the timeline very well...

Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by R650R View Post

However in this video he’s kind enough at the 5min mark to slip in a graph that goes back 800,000 years. All his science mates will be very unhappy. It show some MAJOR climates cycles before man and industry and if you look closely the million year trend is slightly warming.

But the “forecast” is for our current level of increase to be irreversible and the steepness of the spike doesn’t not match the timeline very well...
    Did you actually watch and listen? He is saying that previously there were natural cycle of warming and cooling, but recent human activity has changed things enough that there will be no cooling cycle in future.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Watch something. Select some words that seem to agree with your narrative. Stop thinking. Post on internet.

That's why 666 has been on ignore for so long. Just a waste of bandwidth.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Did you actually watch and listen? He is saying that previously there were natural cycle of warming and cooling, but recent human activity has changed things enough that there will be no cooling cycle in future.
    Yeah that’s what I said and why I posted it.... as for the future, we’ve seen in last 40 years of CO2 propoganda just how accurate those are, the 1.5m sea level rise never arrived for starters....
    My point in posting is he is saying there are NATURALLY occurring cooling cycles evidently occurring with a regular timeline from well before human activity. This suggests that the suns solar cycles or other known space radiation events play a lot more input than a trace element at 380 parts per million....

Draw a grid on a large piece of paper, 1000mm L by 1000m H, that’s what a million square millimetres looks like. Now on your vertical axis draw 400 random 1mm2 dots on your grid.
    That’s what 400parts per million looks like.
    Do you fancy that as a summer beach umbrella or a shower privacy curtain????
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Blog Entries
    . This suggests that the suns solar cycles or other known space radiation events play a lot more input than a trace element at 380 parts per million....
    Do you fancy that as a summer beach umbrella or a shower privacy curtain????
    Pretty stupid analogy but even your number is wrong. Based on preliminary analysis, the global average atmospheric carbon dioxide in 2020 was 412.5 parts per million (ppm for short), setting a new record high amount despite the economic slowdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In fact, the jump of 2.6 ppm over 2019 levels was the fifth-highest annual increase in NOAA's 63-year record. Since 2000, the global atmospheric carbon dioxide amount has grown by 43.5 ppm, an increase of 12 percent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ClimateDashboard-atmospheric-carbon-dioxide-graph-20211004-1400px.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	351293  
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Well we know the Elite want to destroy cash and replace it with their own brand of crypto currency.
    We do?????
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

The only thing I disagree with is right at the end, he says humans are controlling climate change. "Control" is the wrong word, it's out of control. Humans are causing climate change yes, but they're not controlling it.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Thread Information