Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So, Cost of Living increases

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wetanz View Post
    im personally not on the lgbt or abortion train and look forward to roe vs wade being overturned ... kirk valued families - that means man, woman, children

"there are four things that matter to people: they have to have somewhere to live, they have to have food to eat, they have to have clothing to wear, and they have to have something to hope for," Norman Kirk

... explain
    Ahh. You expose as a Sky Pixie believer.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    I think the system has become so big and so complex that it's starting to break down naturally.

I've seen enough politicians come and go to know that none of them can fix it - at least not for everyone, whatever they do always advantages some over others.

When you've sold your population on the whole 'equal opportunity for all' thing and that everyone should have the same access to education/healthcare/shelter/food/mana as everyone else, it's not surprising that those whose day to day experience doesn't match that get a bit annoyed about it. Sadly I'm not convinced we can live up to those lofty goals anymore.

We've just had a crisis with Covid, and it's exposed how fragile and overstretched the whole thing really is. A proper crisis is overdue (historically speaking) and as much as I don't want to live through one, that's probably the only thing that would get everybody paddling in the same direction again.

Meanwhile if price rises and shrinkflation are the only way businesses can see to keep going in the meantime, and consumers are struggling to keep up, I'd say that's just more evidence of the whole system breaking down.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by nerrrd View Post
    I think the system has become so big and so complex that it's starting to break down naturally.

I've seen enough politicians come and go to know that none of them can fix it - at least not for everyone, whatever they do always advantages some over others.
    I think they can fix it... by admitting they can't fix it and let the individuals get on with it.

When you've sold your population on the whole 'equal opportunity for all' thing and that everyone should have the same access to education/healthcare/shelter/food/mana as everyone else, it's not surprising that those whose day to day experience doesn't match that get a bit annoyed about it. Sadly I'm not convinced we can live up to those lofty goals anymore.
    It's not a case of Equal Opportunity for all - that's something almost everyone believes in.

It's the problem of when you have Equal Opportunity, you don't get Equal Outcomes - which is essentially the problem.

We've just had a crisis with Covid, and it's exposed how fragile and overstretched the whole thing really is. A proper crisis is overdue (historically speaking) and as much as I don't want to live through one, that's probably the only thing that would get everybody paddling in the same direction again.
    I wouldn't say Fragile and Overstretched - I would say it's exposed how badly Politicians can fuck things up.

I do agree that we could do with a great uniting event, the question is what is the cost?

Meanwhile if price rises and shrinkflation are the only way businesses can see to keep going in the meantime, and consumers are struggling to keep up, I'd say that's just more evidence of the whole system breaking down.
    What are businesses to do without the Consumers?
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post

What are businesses to do without the Consumers?
    Anything they want. They literally care less about consumers than politicians, so long as the next Quarter's results are up. The bigger the corporation, the more oblivious they are to the fundamental truth that without paying people enough to live, they can't buy shit.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    Anything they want. They literally care less about consumers than politicians, so long as the next Quarter's results are up. The bigger the corporation, the more oblivious they are to the fundamental truth that without paying people enough to live, they can't buy shit.
    Even arch-capitalist Henry Ford realised this. He paid his workers higher than average, not because he thought they deserved any more, but that with more money in their pockets they would buy his cars. The same Henry Ford who paid a private milita (The Ford Service Department) to violently try to break up a workers union.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    And what about the Small and Medium sized businesses? They care about the Consumers, but they are also bounded by reality.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    And what about the Small and Medium sized businesses? They care about the Consumers, but they are also bounded by reality.
    I wasn't talking about them. But seeing as you brought it up part of that reality is the large corporates who they buy there supplies off gouge them, so those small businesses wear it at both ends. Also, there are no large businesses in NZ. A couple squeak into medium sized.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Even arch-capitalist Henry Ford realised this. He paid his workers higher than average, not because he thought they deserved any more, but that with more money in their pockets they would buy his cars. The same Henry Ford who paid a private milita (The Ford Service Department) to violently try to break up a workers union.
    Henry Ford's dead mate.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I wasn't talking about them. But seeing as you brought it up part of that reality is the large corporates who they buy there supplies off gouge them, so those small businesses wear it at both ends. Also, there are no large businesses in NZ. A couple squeak into medium sized.
    So, if there are only small and medium sized businesses in NZ, who are getting gouged by Big overseas Corporates - how can they pay their workers more?

Bike
    71 Kawasaki W1, 77 Yamaha XS650
    the small and medium sized companies are being deliberately squeezed out of the game

leaves the corporations controlling production and distribution ... allows regimented just in time supply lines, fully controlled distribution to those in favour ... if your social credit score doesnt fit, no food or energy
    Be who you are and say what you feel cos those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

Bike
    Africa Twin! 2018 all the fruit!
    Shock Horror NZ Harold, squeaking loudly about another 10% increase in Fruit and Vegetables.
    The 2 major players in food in NZ ARE Creaming it!
    They charge for shelf space, it doesn't matter if they don't sell your product!
    Is it Friday yet?
    Every day above ground is a good day!:

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    So, if there are only small and medium sized businesses in NZ, who are getting gouged by Big overseas Corporates - how can they pay their workers more?
    I don't know what you are trying to argue. You are talking to a point I didn't raise.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    I don't know what you are trying to argue. You are talking to a point I didn't raise.
    Who is responsible for 'paying people enough to live'

Is it Big Corporates who, according to you, don't exist in NZ?
    Is it Small and Medium businesses who, according to you, are squeezed at both ends?

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Who is responsible for 'paying people enough to live'

Is it Big Corporates who, according to you, don't exist in NZ?
    Is it Small and Medium businesses who, according to you, are squeezed at both ends?
    At the moment it seems to be the government, given they're subsidising family incomes with tax credits and tenants with accommodation supplements to the tune of around 5 billion dollars per year.
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    It was on the good
    Burn them.

Thread Information