Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So, Cost of Living increases

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore

So, Cost of Living increases

Let's outline the various positions from Left to Right

1: Workers of the world unite! The end of the Capitalist system is at hand! Let us rejoice!
    2: This is a global issue caused by a myriad of factors outside of anyones control
    3: There are global factors, but there are also a number of actions taken domestically that have been causal and a number of opportunities to ease the increase which have not been taken
    4: This is a direct result of Government intervention and Policy, both domestic and international - and ideology prevents them from taken steps to reverse it
    5: Fuck Jacinda, Biden, Boris, Trudeau and the rest of them.
    6: Taxation is Theft!

I think most of you know that using that highly accurate scale, I'm sitting at about a 4.95 (when I'm in a good mood).

However, I'm starting to feel the inevitable creep of price increases, much to my annoyance. And since I don't expect it to go away soon (and not whilst we have a certain aforementioned Government in power), I feel it is time to start a thread to discuss, share points of view, sling shit at each other - all that good KB stuff.
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Well we know the Elite want to destroy cash and replace it with their own brand of crypto currency.
    The only way to make people accept what they don’t want is to destroy the existing system.
    So much like a CEO taking a broom and hiring people that are loyal to him..... we are seeing the start of the “great reset” where anyone not on board will be tossed overboard....

To cut a long story short crippling economic pains is coming to everyone. They will smash everything and we’ll end up like teenagers begging for pocket money from parents except the parents will be the govt.

There’s is nowhere to run to, no magic “safe” investment strategy. All you can bank on is alliances with neighbours and family to counter the most brutal breakdown in human society that humanity has ever seen. The only wealth will be to have skills or useful survival tools to barter with.
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Indian Scout
    Hey not a bad topic to open for some shit slinging. I have no idea how old you are TDL but I have broken the big 60 and have some life experience under my belt on this topic. 39 years in banking I have been over exposed to having to following interest rates, fx rates, currencies, inflation GPD this GDP that, and all that boring economic fluff. No wonder I smoked weed back then after economics classes.

I have had so many customers over decades ask me what will interest rates do next year, what will the XYZ Dollar do next year, what will inflation do ... My standard answer was usually - Good thing you asked me that Bob because I have been forced to study [insert boring f%$^#$ topic] on your bloody behalf for f*&%$ years and I can unreservedly, without doubt answer your question. Get ready. It will go up and it will go down- as it has for bloody centuries. Build a bridge and get over it.

Who remembers trying to buy their first house in the mid 80s with mortgages at 23% and inflation and unemployment climbing steeper than the Columbia space shuttle. Ok that's a stink comment, I got a bank staff transfer mortgage at 7% when my friends were all crying about paying 23%. The good ole days.

Back to your opening Qs. Unfortunately I do not believe we can lay the blame on a single entity/government. As much as I would like to blame this useless pack of B$%%# we currently have. They sure haven't helped the situation. It is simply the wheels of global commerce beyond most countries ability to influence. Shit happens. I got my first car when petrol was way under $1 a gallon. Yeah, I said a GALLON. We were all shocked in disbelief when it hit $1 a gallon but so naive we didn't comprehend that prices may just keep going up and up and up for the rest of our lives.

Exchange rates are driven primarily by interest rates and look at a century of data in any fx or int. rates or inflation graphs. Goes up. Goes down. Goes up. Goes down...

Unfortunately our blissful period in the 'flat calm' has come to an end. Seriously though I might have to dig up the back lawn and plant veges. I love silver beet and fresh lettuce but at $5.99 each! Like me and my young friends in the 80s I now feel worried for the current young generation starting out faced with rising prices, home ownership beyond reach and wages stagnant. Hey that sounds just like something I heard some old codger say to me in 1977
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    6: Taxation is Theft!
    I'd rather pay reasonable taxes to provide public health care and other essential services than end up the way the US has gone

Downtown LA (even 40 years ago) - no thanks

Just my $0.02
    =mjc=

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post
    I'd rather pay reasonable taxes to provide public health care and other essential services than end up the way the US has gone

Just my $0.02
    To be clear - I'm not a Taxation is Theft person, although the more of my money they piss away on vanity projects, ideological projects and alike and the more ungrateful they are for my Tax Dollars, the more and more I warm to that position.

I don't mind paying Tax per se, at the moment I think I pay a bit too much on certain things (GST and the Fuel taxes specifically), but overall - I want a functioning society and that comes with certain costs.

What Irks me is things like the $500,000 Parliament slide - I know it's not a huge expense, but it's the principle of the Matter - MPs are well paid, by us, the Tax payer - if they want a fancy slide, then they should pay for it out of their pocket or they should be a little more fiscally conservative. I mean a US based site gives the average cost in USD for a Playground slide at between $3k-5k, topping out at $20k. That would make the Parliament slide nearly 100 times more expensive than the Average.

Some will likely want to argue the point - but as I said, I feel this is a good symbolic example of the wasteful ways in which my Tax money is spent.

Other things like Diversity and Inclusion Commisars for Government entities - DIE is just a massive Marxist rort, and paying on average around $130K...

And to top it all off, all we ever hear is that 'The rich aren't paying their fair share' - when 80% of the Income tax is paid by 20% of the people, I think they are more than paying their fair share.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by MD View Post
    Hey not a bad topic to open for some shit slinging. I have no idea how old you are TDL but I have broken the big 60 and have some life experience under my belt on this topic. 39 years in banking I have been over exposed to having to following interest rates, fx rates, currencies, inflation GPD this GDP that, and all that boring economic fluff. No wonder I smoked weed back then after economics classes.

I have had so many customers over decades ask me what will interest rates do next year, what will the XYZ Dollar do next year, what will inflation do ... My standard answer was usually - Good thing you asked me that Bob because I have been forced to study [insert boring f%$^#$ topic] on your bloody behalf for f*&%$ years and I can unreservedly, without doubt answer your question. Get ready. It will go up and it will go down- as it has for bloody centuries. Build a bridge and get over it.

Who remembers trying to buy their first house in the mid 80s with mortgages at 23% and inflation and unemployment climbing steeper than the Columbia space shuttle. Ok that's a stink comment, I got a bank staff transfer mortgage at 7% when my friends were all crying about paying 23%. The good ole days.

Back to your opening Qs. Unfortunately I do not believe we can lay the blame on a single entity/government. As much as I would like to blame this useless pack of B$%%# we currently have. They sure haven't helped the situation. It is simply the wheels of global commerce beyond most countries ability to influence. Shit happens. I got my first car when petrol was way under $1 a gallon. Yeah, I said a GALLON. We were all shocked in disbelief when it hit $1 a gallon but so naive we didn't comprehend that prices may just keep going up and up and up for the rest of our lives.

Exchange rates are driven primarily by interest rates and look at a century of data in any fx or int. rates or inflation graphs. Goes up. Goes down. Goes up. Goes down...

Unfortunately our blissful period in the 'flat calm' has come to an end. Seriously though I might have to dig up the back lawn and plant veges. I love silver beet and fresh lettuce but at $5.99 each! Like me and my young friends in the 80s I now feel worried for the current young generation starting out faced with rising prices, home ownership beyond reach and wages stagnant. Hey that sounds just like something I heard some old codger say to me in 1977
    I'm in my 30s and I've heard the horror stories from my In-Laws about the 20% mortgage rates.

For me - I would put the current issues at around 80:20 - where the 80 is Government Policy, not just in NZ but amongst the major trading powers. I do agree that it will go down, eventually - the question is when, by how much and what will be the cost of forcing it down?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I believe fallout from climate change will make the financial troubles look like a minor inconvenience. When increased desertification and droughts make it impossible for the people living between the tropics to grow sufficient food, they will want to move north and south. 1,3 billion Indians, 270 million Indonesians, 100 million Vietnamese, etc., with their eyes on NZ - they wont bother with Australia because it is mainly desert anyway and will only get worse.
    I have no concern for my own life (its nearly over), my kids may find things a bit difficult, but my grandkids, and great grandkids - they are going to suffer.
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    anything I can get my grubby wee paws on
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    but my grandkids, and great grandkids - they are going to suffer.
    At least they will have the natural and significant advantage of being Kiwis
    =mjc=

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I believe fallout from climate change will make the financial troubles look like a minor inconvenience. When increased desertification and droughts make it impossible for the people living between the tropics to grow sufficient food, they will want to move north and south. 1,3 billion Indians, 270 million Indonesians, 100 million Vietnamese, etc., with their eyes on NZ - they wont bother with Australia because it is mainly desert anyway and will only get worse.
    I have no concern for my own life (its nearly over), my kids may find things a bit difficult, but my grandkids, and great grandkids - they are going to suffer.
    I believe that in time, like all of the other 'Climate Catastrophes', we will be in much the same position as we've always been.

Bike
    It was on the good
    I blame Thatcher.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I blame Thatcher.
    Did you know, that if you say her name 5 times in front of a Mirror, she will rise from the dead and shut down an inefficient northern industry?

Bike
    It was on the good
    Fletcher Building?

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Fletcher Building?
    For that I believe you need to say 'Muldoon'

(Okay, I'm an immigrant, if that isn't correct NZ Prime Minister to roast, then change as seen fit)

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jim.cox View Post

Just my $0.02
    Completely with you on social obligation. Sick to death of paying taxes on taxes.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    I believe that in time, like all of the other 'Climate Catastrophes', we will be in much the same position as we've always been.
    Fun times ahead ; "Second, deep human history warns us that when climate patterns did change significantly, the result was societal collapse, war, epidemics, and fundamental restructurings of the geography and structures of human communities."

https://origins.osu.edu/article/clim...tent_entity=en
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Thread Information