Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Isle of Man TT 2022

Bike
    suzuki
    there were zero road deaths during the TT event this year, that's a first for a long time, and that's something that directly effects the locals as there have been times some have been innocent victims. So 5 dead is quite a bit less than the usual statistics so it was a very good event looking at the overall picture.
    It depends on how you read the stats simply.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by SaferRides View Post
    2022 was always likely to be a bad year for accidents as it's the first TT for 3 years. The IoM has its own government, so it's unlikely to stop as it must be a major source of income for the island. But it can't continue at 5 + deaths a year.

I used to be anti until I watched Closer to the Edge, and gained some understanding of why people do it. It's probably the motorcycling equivalent of an extreme sport.

There have been serious efforts by the organisers to make it safer, but there will always be crashes, and they are unlikely to end well.

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk
    Yes the locals probably enjoy the income , but hey, in this fucked up world everyones trying to save us from ourselves. eg all the wringing of hands and the dropping of speed limits in our fine country!

It's a different style of racing ,one where you race the clock and the requirement to know the piece of road is a mammoth task. What is it about 27 miles to remember ???

I'd like it to stay , but wouldn't attempt myself. (tho once thought about it lol)

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Yes the locals probably enjoy the income , but hey, in this fucked up world everyones trying to save us from ourselves. eg all the wringing of hands and the dropping of speed limits in our fine country!

It's a different style of racing ,one where you race the clock and the requirement to know the piece of road is a mammoth task. What is it about 27 miles to remember ???

I'd like it to stay , but wouldn't attempt myself. (tho once thought about it lol)
    It's 37.75 miles, or 60.76km.
    I'd say remembering the course is something consistent, and learned quite early. It's the variables that cause the issues, such as changing light, inconsistent grip, stray wildlife, mechanical failure etc.
    I know of people that have been harmed or killed by each of the things I mentioned.
    Nobody ever says, I forgot where the course went next.

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I'd say remembering the course is something consistent, and learned quite early. It's the variables that cause the issues, such as changing light, inconsistent grip, stray wildlife, mechanical failure etc.
    I know of people that have been harmed or killed by each of the things I mentioned.
    Kiwi Mike Adler did at Glen Helen, turned right instead of left on the last lap.
    Of course he couldn't say he forgot, he was dead.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    Kiwi Mike Adler did at Glen Helen, turned right instead of left on the last lap.
    Of course he couldn't say he forgot, he was dead.
    So he had done practice week, and most of a race & then got it wrong?
    Do you think he suddenly forgot?

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Interview with the IoM Chief Minister.

Manopausal.

Bike
    It was on the good
    I used to be anti.
    You have often surprised me with the unusual mix of your user name, some of your comments and fact you ride an R1. This comment did it again.

Why do you have an R1?

It's rhetorical, you don't have to answer. I just think that if you have a sports bike you need to ride it like a sports bike and doing a road with no speed limit, no oncoming traffic and no chance of losing your licence is some kind of fucking nirvana.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Oops sorry my bad I was mixed up with Marathons I used to run (27miles).... Dave Hissy said he tried to learn it in sections and he had some good results there ?

I must say I knew the Rimutakas ,every inch of it but that was a lifetime of riding it (like 50 years !).
    That is also only 10 miles ! haha and there's no prize money there either !!!!
    But yes,its the weather and everything else that can catch you out.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Simply because there is a point at which it could not continue because of the death rate.
    I wonder what that number is. And who decides.

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by onearmedbandit View Post
    I wonder what that number is. And who decides.
    Well to put some perspective on it, I personally know more people that have died of cancer Iin my hometown than have died at the TT this year, what are the government going to do about what?
    There's a lot they can do that they aren't currently.

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Well to put some perspective on it, I personally know more people that have died of cancer Iin my hometown than have died at the TT this year, what are the government going to do about what?
    There's a lot they can do that they aren't currently.
    Exactly. People die of all sorts of causes, and lots could be done. But do we really want that sort of society?

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by JimO View Post
    my comment had nothing to do with croz, i was just pointing out that the "ban everything" crowd will be itching to put a end to the carnage at the TT
    And to motorcycling in general, they will price us out of existence

or most other types of risk taking.

hate to see what happens if this War starts to escalate..... into a global mess.

people are starting to talk of massive recession looming. That will hurt motorcycle industry bad.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    suzuki
    So he had done practice week, and most of a race & then got it wrong?
    Do you think he suddenly forgot?
    I did over 1000miles on the isle of man running in 10 bikes, could grab one anytime and ride, why wouldn't you.
    Everytime up through Sarahs for quite a few laps there was a grey thatched roof that caught my eye, looked like a road, that momentary thing could do quite a lot. Imagine how tired you are riding a two stroke in 1977 five laps and doing another, who knows?

Bike
    1998 Yamaha R1
    I've recorded all of the races that Sky have shown and am watching them in order. The Supersport was close.

Anyone know why they shortened the Supersport and Superstock races to 3 laps?

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    I did over 1000miles on the isle of man running in 10 bikes, could grab one anytime and ride, why wouldn't you.
    Everytime up through Sarahs for quite a few laps there was a grey thatched roof that caught my eye, looked like a road, that momentary thing could do quite a lot. Imagine how tired you are riding a two stroke in 1977 five laps and doing another, who knows?
    I would call that kind of crash fatigue related, which killed a lot of people until early morning practice was abolished in 2004
    Tired mechanics working all night, and tired riders practicing at 5am was a recipie for disaster.

Thread Information