Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over confident as a new rider

Bike
    Honda

Over confident as a new rider

I'm into my 7th month of riding, I ride every day, I noticed this week I'm becoming more confident or should I say riskier.

Told myself twice to tone it down, for some dumb reason my actions don't listen to my thoughts.

It's like having an angel and a devil on each shoulder, and the devil's winning

-Full throttle on deserted industrial roads
    -In and out traffic on busy roads 10kph above normal traffic
    -It feels like I'm turning into an arse hole but my riding feels safe and my riskier moves seem calculated or I wouldn't do them.

Is this normal? Will I tone it down ? Or should I take some time off, yes I am old enough to know better.

Advice from more seasoned riders appreciated!

Bike
    It was on the good
    If you really think advice from people on the internet who you don't know is worth anything then I would say give it up now and sell the bike for no other reason than all the bullshit you just posted.

Full throttle on an industrial road? Is that a Lime or a Neon scooter?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    If it's a serious post, get yourself on a RideForever course. You say you're old enough to know better... perhaps you don't.

Heard once about learning. The aim is to fill your cup of skill, before you empty your cup of luck. I knew quite a few who didn't manage that. Some made one mistake and didn't get a second chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    If you really think advice from people on the internet who you don't know is worth anything then I would say give it up now and sell the bike for no other reason than all the bullshit you just posted.

Full throttle on an industrial road? Is that a Lime or a Neon scooter?
    You seem angry at the world

Poor you x

(Very poor attempt at trying troll a reaction out of me)

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    If it's a serious post, get yourself on a RideForever course. You say you're old enough to know better... perhaps you don't.

Heard once about learning. The aim is to fill your cup of skill, before you empty your cup of luck. I knew quite a few who didn't manage that. Some made one mistake and didn't get a second chance.
    Yeah I enjoyed my Bronze course, was planning on doing another soon, need some wise words in my ear.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Multi millionaire from Youtube eh? Nice one.

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Multi millionaire from Youtube eh? Nice one.
    נשימה של הפין

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Bundy 4eva! View Post
    Yeah I enjoyed my Bronze course, was planning on doing another soon, need some wise words in my ear.
    well at least you are thinking about the problem which is the first step Get your self on another training course asap. Motorcycle riding can be dangerous,you got to know how to stack things in your favour.

Bike
    Honda
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWST? View Post
    well at least you are thinking about the problem which is the first step Get your self on another training course asap. Motorcycle riding can be dangerous,you got to know how to stack things in your favour.
    Yep, makes sense why they restrict our bikes in the first year.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    If possible, I'd recommend going onto a track training day similar to this:

https://www.pukekohemotorsport.co.nz...kJjVQ48ugYNcO/

It's much better to scratch the itch in a safe environment with trainers around who'll help you improve, whilst still having a lot of fun.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    CT110 Super Cub - postie bike
    Just keep doing what you are doing. Sooner or later you will scare yourself silly doing something and won't do that again. The trick is to scare yourself silly doing all the risky things you do and eventually you'll stop doing them. Or be dead.
    40 years later I still remember 2 events when I scared myself silly while learning. Never did them again. Good that you are asking. Shows some awareness that there is a problem.
    Grow older but never grow up

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Just keep asking yourself what you can't see.

You should end up that busy thinking about the future that you have to slow down.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    So, what you are describing is part of learning any new skill - there's an initial period of trepidation, followed by a period of relative 'confidence'.

A Word of Warning - this period of Confidence is when most new riders have an off or accident.

Normally after said accident comes the realisation that there is much more to learn (and thus the path to true wisdom begins).
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    ST4s-V11 Cafe Sport
    Yep, yep and yep, shouldn't take as long as it took me to sort my shit out but you asked for advice and that's the first step to understanding that you may have a problem that could have dire consequences.
    Been riding for 45 odd years and been through the early times of excitement around what that right hand can do and what trouble it can get you into. Lucky to have survived a couple of the accidents I have been involved in. Not my fault but riding sensibly could have avoided them.

I have probably completed 5 gold ride forever courses now, had a period of 6-7 years where I did numerous track days.
    Learning to enjoy riding a motorcycle without having to have it fully tapped out and taking too many risks can take a while. I don't need to speed to enjoy the freedom.

As TheDemonLord alludes to with the path of wisdom. The earlier you can get on board with that through training and appropriate outlets for understanding what your bike can do, the safer you will be. its a journey......

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    As said above we have all been through it, and most of us can describe the crash that made us see the light.
    Mine was into the side of a truck on my near new Kawasaki 250 F11 and there where a few after that = slow learner
    You are prob a step ahead by recognizing it.
    Ride forever will teach you but it won't stop the urges that is the speed itch you have to scratch by the sounds of it.
    Track days or racing are where you realise there is nothing to prove on the road because most are 2-5 secs a lap further up the track than you.

Is this normal? YES

Will I tone it down ? not till you crash

Or should I take some time off, You can't you are addicted like us

yes I am old enough to know better. You are never old enough to know better!! Trust me I am old - then go to a classic race meeting there is the proof right there.

Most of us ride because we are addicted to the power, speed and thrill
    Do a few trackdays
    or race then you will get a moped for commuting and spend you life savings on going faster
    Then do superbike school and study the art of speed.
    Scratch that itch in the safest way possible
    You have to scratch it you know you do
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Thread Information