Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for a Waikato engineering firm to build me a motorcycle lift

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    I would take your photos to a couple of those farm machinery places up your way and ask them before you try general engineering firms.
    Around the Waikato a decent proportion of the engineering firms are making stuff for farmers and deal with farm machinery. Near to me is Morrinsville, Hamilton, Matamata, Cambridge & Te Awamutu - there are a LOT of engineering places that I could potentially talk to about this project. I was hoping someone could suggest a place that they were familiar with and I have had one suggestion for a place in Matamata from someone on the NZ Motorhome forum. I don't know what this will cost me, but it has to be worth it to have my motorcycle with me when I'm living in my new (actually 28 years old) motorhome. I might buy an E-bike, but that wouldn't be suitable for a 74km round trip to see my mum (maybe it would be doable, but for that distance I'd much rather have 1000cc than a 1kw electric motor).

At Piako Transport Engineering I've seen a motorhome more than once, but I don't know what sort of work they might have been doing on them, couldn't hurt to talk to them though and if they can't help me then they may be able to suggest the best place to talk to.
    If I don't have any luck around here then I could do as jellywrestler suggests and track down the place near Invercargill. How hard is it to get someone's contact details if you have the number plate of their motorhome? Now I wish I had got the details when I was talking to the guy.
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    SV1000, RG500, RD350
    That is a clever carrier with the winch.
    I made mine, and it has a ramp to load and it has a front wheel holder to hold the bike while you do up the strops. I made it to high, so it was ok for a scooter or a light bike, the RD350LC was a bit heavy single handed.
    Check your overhang on the rear. It is a maximum of 4m from the back axle. Mine is to long as I have a light board on the back since the bike obscures the taillights and holder for the ramp. I could shorten it, but for now I just take it off for the COF.
    When I had the towbar made, I had a couple of 65x65 box section pieces included on the side of the towbar mount, The carrier slides into that and has a 16mm bolt through it. It is made to disassemble for storage but is plenty stiff when it is together.
    You can see it and how it fits together here
    https://the-shed.nz/2021-3-9-a-scoot...r-a-campervan/
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) Peace through superior firepower...
    Build your own dyno - PM me for the link of if you want to use it (bring beer)

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    One option would be to have this bike lift removable - then I'd just have to take it off every 6 months for a CoF. It would still need to be made well enough that I could be confident that it would not fail and drop my bike, of course. I'm picking the motorhome up next Tuesday, so I'll take it to the engineers and let them work out what they can do.
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkH View Post
    One option would be to have this bike lift removable - then I'd just have to take it off every 6 months for a CoF. It would still need to be made well enough that I could be confident that it would not fail and drop my bike, of course. I'm picking the motorhome up next Tuesday, so I'll take it to the engineers and let them work out what they can do.
    and what about roadside checks?

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    and what about roadside checks?
    Well, it will have an up-to-date CoF on it . . .
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    GSXR1000
    Well, it will have an up-to-date CoF on it . . .
    Which doesn't mean anything. That's like arguing that having bald tyres is ok if you have a current wof. And then if your insurer finds out and the part was directly involved in a claim then goodbye cover.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i think you guys are over thinking this. It is not unusual for 4wd and utes to have towbars rated for 180-250 kg. Something like a small to medium truck will have a serious chassis.A couple of conversations with local engineering places will very quickly lead to a font of knowledge. That font of knowledge will likely have the capability to design and certify something. It may not be just be the engineeering shop itself .

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Things are not going well. I think my idea is great and as per the photos in the OP it is something that can be done. But I had a conversation with one engineering firm where I asked if I would still be able to get a CoF with a bike lift added, basically answered with "dunno". I managed to get hold of another engineer that was recommended elsewhere, he seemed to be much more knowledgeable and has worked on motorhomes - he said the tow hitch couldn't be used because it wasn't rated for the weight of a big 1000cc bike and exceeding its ratings would mean no CoF pass next time, he also said that mounting to the chassis for a diesel pusher would not be easy, much easier to just use a trailer. It turns out that my great idea is not nearly as straightforward as I had hoped it would be.

I might just end up buying a covered trailer and if I can get a bike lift sorted later then I would sell the trailer at that point. I really want to take my motorbike & my e-MTB with me Jan/Feb next year when I head down the south island to the Woodstock Rally, Vincent County Rally & Burt Munro Rally. Of course a covered trailer has some advantages like providing a sheltered garage for my bike, while also having disadvantages like adding ~5m to my 11m long motorhome - making parking and backing harder and ferry crossings more expensive. Still, I'll do what I have to do to have my 2-wheeled transport available to me. With the Cold Kiwi Rally this weekend I'll be getting out on the bike, so I have that to look forward to. I work Thursday - Monday and wanting Fri-Sun for the Cold Kiwi it made no sense to work Thu or Mon so I have the entire week off - no work for me until Thursday week! The bike now has a new battery and new front disk pads - all good to do some riding!
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Street Triple R
    Plan B: sell the motorhome and buy a 16m one. convert the back 5m of the motorhome to your garage/pit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW_MCJruPqM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPW10YithVc

https://www.rvingknowhow.com/rv-with...cycle-storage/
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    I've always liked the idea of horse trucks. Garage in the rear (including a very useful ramp) for the toys, with accommodation up front.
    As long as I think >50% is living space, it's classed as a motorhome, no log book etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Plan B: sell the motorhome and buy a 16m one. convert the back 5m of the motorhome to your garage/pit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YW_MCJruPqM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPW10YithVc

https://www.rvingknowhow.com/rv-with...cycle-storage/
    That's what I suggested a page or so back but without the hassle of having to sell the present one.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    I'm currently looking at tandem axle horse float trailers, they already have a good ramp/rear door and plenty of height to wheel the bike in without hitting my head. Maybe I'd modify one to eliminate the gap above the closed door for better security and add some padlocks, adding some tie-down points would be easy enough to do. Brand new is way too expensive, so I'm just looking at 2nd hand - still $6k and above though.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Street Triple R
    I'm currently looking at tandem axle horse float trailers, they already have a good ramp/rear door and plenty of height to wheel the bike in without hitting my head. Maybe I'd modify one to eliminate the gap above the closed door for better security and add some padlocks, adding some tie-down points would be easy enough to do. Brand new is way too expensive, so I'm just looking at 2nd hand - still $6k and above though.
    Or a racecar trailer. One of my clients had a big-ass trailer that could hold two sprintcars, spares (they go through a lot of spares), tyres, tools, and could also sleep the pitcrew. He used to tow it with an F450. But currently he has one big enough for a TQ, spares, and tools and a small sit-down area. It is high enough to stand in plus has an area for a piewarmer and kettle. Definitely enclose it if you do go the horsefloat way
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post
    Definitely enclose it if you do go the horsefloat way
    Enclose it and add locks! Yeah, a horsefloat has plenty of head height and a ramp to ride up on, most of the way there. I'd add front wheel chocks and D-Rings for tie-downs. The back tends to have a big ventilation gap, but how hard could that be to close up. Maybe extend the ramp to make it longer for easier slope to get the bike in and then close off the small gap remaining.

I've been riding the bike over the last few days and tomorrow I'm riding it to the Cold Kiwi, as I ride I remember why I really need to have my bike. I don't want to lock it back up in my dear old mum's garage and barely use it for month, it deserves to be ridden and I love being the one to ride it!
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    Update -

Home & garage:

My Motorbike & e-MTB parked:

The bare plywood at the bottom is the new door section that has been added. There are also three padlocks that use the same key - one on the front door and two on the back door. I took the motorbike out to fill the petrol tank and then put it back in, it was pretty easy to unload and load again. The e-MTB is secured by 4 straps and the motorbike has 6 straps, both have their respective front wheel up against bolted down wheel chocks and I don't think either will move while I'm driving. This all seems to be working rather well for my needs and I'm able to park my home & garage in Hamilton less than 1km from work for $50 per week.
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Thread Information