Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puke track Closing April 2023

Bike
    Exercycle
    If neither of you have been to the SI circuits, you haven't seen the best in NZ.

Bike
    Street Triple R + Yamaha R3
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    If neither of you have been to the SI circuits, you haven't seen the best in NZ.
    Which ones specifically would you recommend?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by release_the_bees View Post
    Which ones specifically would you recommend?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    They're all good - but different. Ruapuna is very technical but can still produce close racing. Levels is short and produces very close racing with usually a lot of action. Teretonga is very like an old airfield circuit - flat and flowing. Speed and skill win there.
    Depends if you want to watch nationals - or drink piss at a Burt.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Do they ever run bike races at Cromwell (Highlands?)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Do they ever run bike races at Cromwell (Highlands?)

I'm told there have been bike days there so presumably someone's looked at it and approved a circuit. No local club and I'd imagine from what I've heard that it would be too expensive an exercise to try and stage a race meeting there. Drawing a paying crowd would be bloody hard - and it's not laid out as a spectator friendly track anyway.

Bike
    22"Z900rsSE, Z1R, FZR1000, KTM 2 smoker
    Highlands-We were down there on Holiday month or so ago and looked at the museum and had a look on the virtual thingy they have there.
    Quite tight in places and I am not sure the F1 and even the postie F1 bikes would stay on the ground over that bridge drop off.

To Add the North Island tracks (my opinion only)

Puke - prob the most dangerous (some of the Postie boys still won't race there). Fun and it feels fast. Over the hill and turn one not much room for error.
    Hampton - a bit of everything - technical to go fast - always more to learn there- I still reckon it would be better going the other way around.
    Taupo - the short track is all corners unfortunately the NZCMRR don't race the long track
    Manfield - my favourite Just something about the layout and being able to power out of the turns makes it fun as. Your sort of either on the gas or the brakes most of it.

For me Manfield-Hampton-Taupo- (Puke left out but prob tie with Hampton) Really sad we only have 3 left in the North.
    On a Motorcycle you're penetrating distance, right along with the machine!! In a car you're just a spectator, the windshields like a TV!!

'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out! Shouting, ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! '

Bike
    suzuki
    I'm told there have been bike days there so presumably someone's looked at it and approved a circuit. No local club and I'd imagine from what I've heard that it would be too expensive an exercise to try and stage a race meeting there. Drawing a paying crowd would be bloody hard - and it's not laid out as a spectator friendly track anyway.
    they've yet to have a flag fall event there, just some outside initiated track days

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
    Hampton - a bit of everything - technical to go fast - always more to learn there- I still reckon it would be better going the other way around.
    it's dangerous enough as it is, there's not enough run off at the dipper, imagine running it the other way around entering that corner, and the current turn one would have zero run off and the entry to the big sweeper would be laughable

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    they've yet to have a flag fall event there, just some outside initiated track days

Do you know or have you heard if the circuit is actually approved by MNZ for competition ? I remember getting Methven approved it was first ask MNZ for an inspection - then an inspector was sent. Hepburn as it happens. No idea who they'd use in the SI now for that job.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's not been approved. Track days often carry their own insurance.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Do you know or have you heard if the circuit is actually approved by MNZ for competition ? I remember getting Methven approved it was first ask MNZ for an inspection - then an inspector was sent. Hepburn as it happens. No idea who they'd use in the SI now for that job.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's not been approved. Track days often carry their own insurance.
    A friend was a navigator for a car on the Targa tour - they did several laps of the track as part of the event, but I think it was individual time trials. Apparently a real hoot in a Renault Megane 2.0 Turbo (Unsure what version but the rare, fast one)
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Exercycle
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    A friend was a navigator for a car on the Targa tour - they did several laps of the track as part of the event, but I think it was individual time trials. Apparently a real hoot in a Renault Megane 2.0 Turbo (Unsure what version but the rare, fast one)
    Motorsport NZ - the cars - have their own inspector. Separate from Motorcycling NZ. Occasionally they do the same circuit together - as when marshalls posts are moved, They have to agree before it happens.
    With no club local to Cromwell and an apparent lack of interest from the owner, I'd be very surprised if it has been approved for bike competition. Lot of very close walls there which IMO would need protection.

Bike
    suzuki

I don't believe they have tried acknowledging that there's not enough run off and the bridge is a new thing for MNZ to run for cover from.

Thread Information