Thread: when did bikes become

Bike
    Raleigh pushbike

when did bikes become

so ridiculously expensive...some

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)
    ????? ?????

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Do you mean bikes on Tardme? Do they get that money? Probably not.

New bikes aren't too bad really.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    It was on the good
    Have you seen the price of cheese lately?

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Berries View Post
    Have you seen the price of cheese lately?
    And over $6.00 for a cucumber, $8.00 for a little punnet of tomatoes. I leave them there.

In idle moments I contemplate a smaller bike or a big(ish) scooter. The scooters tend to be pricey but the new bikes don't look too bad. Some bikes on Trade Me are in a special category though.
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    It is a funny thing, a perceived value. I have an old S4R Ducati which I paid 8k for and I could maybe still sell for 7 but would deffo get 6 for. Older Monster 400's and often listed at 8 and S2R's at 10 or more. Having ridden all 3 I am under no illusion as to which is the better bike to ride… And then I see people selling fucked up projects and expecting to get the value of my mint S4R? Good luck to them but really, LOL!
    But the ongoing high price people will pay for crashed bikes amazes me. Keep an eye on Nikbaks Star Ins auctions to see what I mean…seems like once people have started bidding they lose all perspective and must outbid someone else. I mean, it must be worth it right if someone else is bidding that much?
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    It is a funny thing, a perceived value. I have an old S4R Ducati which I paid 8k for and I could maybe still sell for 7 but would deffo get 6 for. Older Monster 400's and often listed at 8 and S2R's at 10 or more. Having ridden all 3 I am under no illusion as to which is the better bike to ride… And then I see people selling fucked up projects and expecting to get the value of my mint S4R? Good luck to them but really, LOL!
    But the ongoing high price people will pay for crashed bikes amazes me. Keep an eye on Nikbaks Star Ins auctions to see what I mean…seems like once people have started bidding they lose all perspective and must outbid someone else. I mean, it must be worth it right if someone else is bidding that much?
    Many years ago was talking to someone from the Government Stores Board, and he was saying that someone had bought a Customs seized Mercedes at auction for more than the price of a new one. People get carried away apparently.

My old S4R satisfied my lust for carbon fibre.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01888.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	807.3 KB 
ID:	351541  
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I bought my 765 from KB legend White Trash a year ago. I figured it was worth getting a value as it is unlikely to be worth 21k I paid for it for insurance purposes. I guessed 17 maybe?

But due to the limited supply of new bikes and people waiting 7 months it is likely I'd pay 20 to buy the same 2nd hand bike. Strange times.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    '17 CRF 1000LD
    My Africa Twin was around $24K new and the newer models are now more like $30K, there are definitely new models that are significantly dearer than the previous models.

For a smaller bike around town I have bought an e-bike (it's actually an e-MTB) as an alternative to a moped - better speed but also quite a bit dearer at $8.5K. That wouldn't be at all close to the dearest e-bike available.
    I also bought a couple of new LiFePO4 12V batteries to serve as house batteries for my motorhome, that got rid of $4.5K. This week I'm taking the motorhome in to get more solar panels and to have the gas heater removed and replaced with a diesel heater and a couple of other things - this will drain off another $12K. Still cheaper than buying a house in Hamilton - by a LOT.

There are plenty of expensive things that you can find when you want to get rid of some money!
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBandit View Post
    I realised that having 105kg of man sliding into my rear was a tad uncomfortable
    "If the cops didn't see it, I didn't do it!"
    - George Carlin (RIP)

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    They are still relatively cheap if you look at price inflation across other high value items in day last 20 years.
    What’s really happening is our population has practically doubled, a lot of that is wealthy skilled immigrant labour. So there’s more people with spare cash to buy big boys toys.
    And it’s not really prices that have gone up so much but the purchasing power of your money drops with the more of it in circulation.
    Someone mentioned Africa twin above. Let’s say 24k new five years ago. With compounding annual inflation of 2% it easily gets to $26500 today. Throw in rises in shipping/rent/wages and you see where the 30k is gotten to so easy. We see sudden jumps because distributors absorb costs in short term hoping for change and be competitive but in end have to pass it on.
    Btw we are a small growing safe country just wait for price explosion when covid/Ukraine/Taiwan dust settles. In ten years we will be ten million population and boy just you wait and see what that brings for pricing...
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Thread Information