Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: SL125 carb issue

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laava View Post
    All new and cable is directly onto the carb slide.

Yep I have a timing light and hooked it all up to check it and dropped it breaking the flash tube. I didn't want to just "buy" another timing light as I always try and fix but you guessed it, I can buy a new timing light cheaper than I can buy a new flash tube!….
    Ignition advance mechanism is new and quite free. So do you think it might be too retarded?
    Wont fix your carb as such but https://www.jaycar.co.nz/xenon-flash-tube/p/SL2692
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Pete, I did see that one listed but it is a completely different shape to the optilux one and I know nothing about compatability….
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    I put the slide in wrong way around full bore start.
    I got XL 100 k2 if want try
    My carb ur welcome .
    Bike hasn't gone decade and a bit.well been lazy Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG20230917133403.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	113.9 KB 
ID:	353782Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG20230917133407.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	353783

Sent from my CPH1941 using Tapatalk

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Achtung, would have been keen if I was a bit closer!….

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I am going to try and bodge one of these in tomorrow! Plus, if it fails, I can blame you Pete!

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I am going to try and bodge one of these in tomorrow! Plus, if it fails, I can blame you Pete!
    IIRC from the mains powered timing light I made years ago, the leads of the tube are not polarity sensitive, and the trigger is single connection that ends up at the plug lead pickup
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    So, yep, that worked! Of course I did ,make a meal of it! I had dropped the strobe in the first place breaking the flash tube and being of scots heritage, reluctant to spring for a new one! The replacement tube is of course 80% of the price for a whole new timing light. However I took a chance on Petes suggestion at Jaycar for $5.90 and made it fit and it worked on a test on my Ducati. Which I needed to use to get 12v. So then I parked the SL close to the Ducati so I only had to clip the induction lead on the spark plug and we're all set! So while the SL is ticking over I am loosening the cover over the stator to get at the timing marks, and just as it comes loose I notice smoke coming off my exhaust which of course is the induction lead from the timing light. I quickly try to get the lead off the header pipe, turn off the ignition and control the cover coming off in one smooth action which of course does not really happen. The Honda manual says about removing the stator cover to check while the engine is running, "some oil may spray from the engine at this point" and that is an understatement. After a quick clean up, I check the strobe light and find it is back to not working again. I carefully peel back the still warm molten insulation of the outer layer to find a very fine coaxial wire which has melty issues. After a bit of very careful segregation I manage to squeeze in some insulating tape and do a re-test which is successful! So I checked the timing and it was spot on. The new float bowl gasket and increasing the float height by half a mm seem to have resolved all the leak issues and the bike starts and idles but still has the big flat spot off idle. In the meantime, someone has hit buy now on my auction and are now the proud owners of a 51yr old motorcycle!

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Just the right buyer required.

Tribulations though. So, the advance mechanism works when revved?

Some ether spray when revved?
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    So, yep, that worked! Of course I did ,make a meal of it! I had dropped the strobe in the first place breaking the flash tube and being of scots heritage, reluctant to spring for a new one! The replacement tube is of course 80% of the price for a whole new timing light. However I took a chance on Petes suggestion at Jaycar for $5.90 and made it fit and it worked on a test on my Ducati. Which I needed to use to get 12v. So then I parked the SL close to the Ducati so I only had to clip the induction lead on the spark plug and we're all set! So while the SL is ticking over I am loosening the cover over the stator to get at the timing marks, and just as it comes loose I notice smoke coming off my exhaust which of course is the induction lead from the timing light. I quickly try to get the lead off the header pipe, turn off the ignition and control the cover coming off in one smooth action which of course does not really happen. The Honda manual says about removing the stator cover to check while the engine is running, "some oil may spray from the engine at this point" and that is an understatement. After a quick clean up, I check the strobe light and find it is back to not working again. I carefully peel back the still warm molten insulation of the outer layer to find a very fine coaxial wire which has melty issues. After a bit of very careful segregation I manage to squeeze in some insulating tape and do a re-test which is successful! So I checked the timing and it was spot on. The new float bowl gasket and increasing the float height by half a mm seem to have resolved all the leak issues and the bike starts and idles but still has the big flat spot off idle. In the meantime, someone has hit buy now on my auction and are now the proud owners of a 51yr old motorcycle!
    In other words a good day in the shed!
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Just the right buyer required.

Tribulations though. So, the advance mechanism works when revved?

Some ether spray when revved?
    To be honest i didn't check to see if it was advancing. Dim of me. I have done the ether thing tho.

Thread Information