Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: King Charles is dead

Bike
    2014 Honda NC750X
    Blog Entries
    Thatcher is certainly dead, though.

Wonder how she felt about the royal family (does the sovereign grant make them all beneficiaries?)
    Moe: Well, I'm better than dirt. Well, most kinds of dirt. I mean not that fancy store bought dirt. That stuffs loaded with nutrients. I...I can't compete with that stuff.
    - The Simpsons

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumph View Post
    You're a tad too eager to attribute doctrine to Marx. The bible said it first. Followed by the general acceptance of all being created equal and the concept of "fairness".

Ironic that now the so called "Christian Right" are the last bastion of unequality and prejudice.
    Afternoon.

I think that there might be a little confusion re the Marx family.

It's true that the Marx Brothers (Chico, Harpo, Groucho, Gummo and Zeppo) all hailed (or is that heiled) from Germany. And that they had a sixth brother (Manfried), first born but who died at an early age. But what is not nearly so well known is that they in fact had a seventh brother - Karl.

Karl was a fairly serious introspective type, and not into comedy at all. So when the family decided to leave Germany (and "go west to seek fame and fortune" in the US), Karl decided to split out on his own, ending up in London.

The English knew him as Charles (because they like to Anglicise everything). The present incumbent in their royal family should probably strictly be known as King Karl, but that's another story.

Anyway, his early writing attempts (non-fiction) were sadly not big sellers, but when he tried his hand at fiction, he had instant success with his first novel ( "Das Kapital"). Especially in Russia.

Post WW1 Russia was a fairly serious place, but the Bolsheviks apparently lapped it up. A bit of light reading to take away the worries of daily life, while they were busy re-organising the economy.

"Das Kapital" eventually ended up as a tetralogy, although sadly Karl only lived long enough to complete the first book. Fortunately, he left notes for the other 3 volumes that were to follow. The second and third books were completed by a ghost-writer (a colleague Fred Engels), with the fourth volume being finished after Fred's death by another admirer (philosopher Karl Kaputsky, sometimes written Kautsky).

I have to admit they're all a bit too serious for me. I'm more of a Groucho Marx fan.

Almost as well known, and with some great quotes. Especially his best known quote (the last one in the following list) :

https://www.brainyquote.com/lists/au...ho-marx-quotes

I can't help feeling that maybe even Vlad Putin is a secret admirer, and that he might be channeling Groucho at the moment. Who knows ?

As for all the current gender and wokeism debate ? I'm not sure what Groucho would have made of it all. Though whatever he might have had to say, I feel sure that it would have been "politically incorrect" as well.

Hope that little history recap helps.

Cheers, Viking

https://gamatiasz.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/1030.jpg

Thread Information