Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: the most rounded alround bike???

Bike
    husaberg
    Quote Originally Posted by george formby View Post
    I was thinking a tard will do just about everything, had the new GG 700 in mind. Front tire wear seems to be exceptional.
    I should have said Dunlop. K180's as that's what the US flat track bikes use.
    the Aprilia 550 v twin always looked like fun

Some Aussie guy that was doing around the world adventure riding used to buy the XR400SM as they kept making them after they stopped making the XR400 he used to put it in dirt wheel trim.
    I remember looking serious at buying XR400 when they first came out. I thought they were almost the perfect bike...

Kinky is using a feather. Perverted is using the whole chicken

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    An adventure bike for me. I love my GSA, done a lot on it, but appreciate not all can swing a leg over. She ain't small.

Long legs for the typically rough roads, they soak it all up while everyone else is trying to stay in the seat after the last bounce. Tyre options for anything from sand to long stretches of seal. Good ergos for hours in the seat, plus easy standing for stretching while on the move. Above average fuel capacity (or for some, downright fuel tankers) for more freedom away from fuel stations.

City work, well, its like taking a superbike to a go kart track. Not much fun, but can be done.

I've ridden a CB919 (as mentioned above) for 15+ years. Bit more cramped than the GSA, still very flexible, has it's place. Done a lot of commuting on it, also have luggage for it, but I do enjoy the adv bikes in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    77 XL250
    After opening this particular can, I doubt the OP will get all the worms back in...
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight underpants.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post
    After opening this particular can, I doubt the OP will get all the worms back in...
    i just changed this thread into a picture association game

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I should have said Dunlop. K180's as that's what the US flat track bikes use.

Some Aussie guy that was doing around the world adventure riding used to buy the XR400SM as they kept making them after they stopped making the XR400 he used to put it in dirt wheel trim.
    I remember looking serious at buying XR400 when they first came out. I thought they were almost the perfect bike...
    I rode a demo XR400 a mate had out. After my KDX it felt like landing a block of flats. I was glad when I finally stalled it and couldn't start it so we swapped back. I learnt I'd cut my bars too thin and my front brakes could be better, but XRs are dreadful. At least on the dirt.
    Actually I'd learnt that 15 years before with my XR250.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Breaking rocks
    Blog Entries
    Dont get a DL650 whatever you do! The guys on the R6's will carve your arse up on track, the KTMs will spray your face with dirt, off road, as they force you into the scrub and the GOldwing 1800’s will out class any aspirations you might have about touring. Then in town, all the office ladies on their scooters will squeeze right by you in the traffic! Awful at everything? You bet!
    Get a monkey bike!
    Only a Rat can win a Rat Race!

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    I rode a demo XR400 a mate had out. After my KDX it felt like landing a block of flats. I was glad when I finally stalled it and couldn't start it so we swapped back. I learnt I'd cut my bars too thin and my front brakes could be better, but XRs are dreadful. At least on the dirt.
    Actually I'd learnt that 15 years before with my XR250.
    Had a similar experience going from a CRM to a XR 400. I blame the XR for creating the theory that 4t dirt bikes are heavy and have willful disregard for going where you need them to.

First ride I dropped it within 100mtrs trying to lift the front over some rocks. Oh no, not doing that, it said, and had a nap.

I kicked it heaps of times then tried to get it started..
    Manopausal.

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemonLord View Post
    Ironically - the 1250FA would be one of my picks for most well rounded bike. Comfy, Plenty of power and Torque, stable but still can have some fun on, space for a Pillion to ride easily.
    Its funny as I was thinking about buying one of these this morning for an all rounder. So before I even looked at what he rode I was going to suggest a 1250 lol.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Oohh, but while we are at it. What kind of oil should he run in this all rounder? And how should he run it in?

[steps quietly away]
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Obsolete ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by F5 Dave View Post
    Oohh, but while we are at it. What kind of oil should he run in this all rounder? And how should he run it in?

[steps quietly away]
    Well, if it's Japanese just syphon some oil from the big re-cycling container at the local tip and thrash it.

If it's a Euro then nothing less than the oil milked from bee testicles and no revving over 3000 rippums for the first 50'000k.
    Manopausal.

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by husaberg View Post
    I demo'd one probably around 2008, think it was the SXV550, and it also had a race pipe.
    First task was errands around the lower Auckland CBD. The crackle of the exhaust bouncing off the buildings and everyone staring made me glad I had a tinted visor.
    I got on the motorway and headed to East Tamaki. Realised the seat was actually a piece of wood masquerading as a seat before I got to Mt Wellington, dang it was uncomfortable.
    Definitely a hooligan toy, would make the Duke 790/890 etc feel composed and mature in comparison. Took it out Clevedon way that night for a play... hit reserve before I got to Clevedon (probably <100km on the tank), went back to Whitford, it was closed, had a very gentle ride to Botany, refueled, and went home. It just wasn't going to work for me.

I did pull off a stoppie, and by pull off, I mean miraculously save an over the front situation at one traffic light... Nodded at the courier beside me, when it came down after what felt like a few minutes near the balance point, while I looked at the ground contemplating my life choices. While the courier stared, I was again glad I had the tinted visor...

Quote Originally Posted by Dadpole View Post
    More interesting debate (about motorcycles) than most of the threads...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    Everybody needs to own at least one DR650.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Dad's garage (That I'm allowed to touch)

well rounded

nothing's gonna be a comfy armchair on 2 wheels for long hauls and an agile stable trail bike and a cheap commuter and a weekend toy.

Compromise would be either a Yamaha MT-07 or Suzuki SV650. All the power you need for the streets and the occasional track day, add a tank bag and its a commuter, add the Dold pack-rack and its good for a weekend journey.

But when someone says "what's a good all-rounder?" they usually go off and buy the opposite, like that awful, overpriced* BMW F900R roadster because its keyless, has heated grips and has a huge display
    plus the brand prestige.

*overpriced in NZ as it sells for the same price as an MT-09 in most other parts of the world.

Bike
    Dog Rooter, 1290 SDR
    I had a 1250fa and it was a great bike with some suspension work.

These days I would think an MT09 is a great option. Very light, great power and super reliable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katman View Post
    but once again you proved me wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by cassina View Post
    I was hit by one such driver while remaining in the view of their mirror.

Bike
    Suzuki GSX-s1000F 2016
    Thanks for the replies so far chaps.
    I am glad I was able to initiate a motorcycle discussion here on KiwiBiker.

My mate who urged me to join Ulyssses and get out riding more made a comment that prompted me to trade the Triumph Street twin on the Suzuki bandit.
    "I like bikes with panniers" was his line. It made me think...the Bandit had Givi hard panniers, better weather/wind protection, more power and performance.
    I did the deal and have done added 4000km to the original 28000. Since purchase I added a new set of Michelins RP4s(cost factor) Adrenalin R exhaust can and generally cleaned it up.

NZSpokes what suspension work did you do to your bandit? and where/who did the work? I have adjusted the forks setting and softened the rear shock as I am a lightweight.

Thanks again
    1/32 man

Thread Information